1. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 11:25
    Just wanted to hear some views on the do's and don'ts of online blitz chess.

Things that tend to annoy me are when people have mate in 1 and let their clock run down to 1 second then mate you or have a mate in a few moves but decide it'll be nice to promote 3 pawns.

Just seems really petty to me. I will play on though to the death, this I feel is acceptable because in blitz chess time is always a factor. It's up to my opponent to mate me. A draw is always a possibility so I play on and don't mind if my opponents does the same if I was winning.
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 11:412 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 11:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I was waiting for that reply. There is a difference though, that person has a win within a move or two. But they purposely act like a child and prolong the game just for kicks rather than taking the win.

Whereas playing on is different there is always the chance of a draw or a blunder which is why I don't mind if people play on. But if you have a win you should take it.
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 11:472 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 11:57
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Because as I've already said there is the chance of stalemate. My view is the person needs to win the game they shouldn't get to a point and say this is a won position for me. I've seen many a GM game where they have blundered away pieces and lost games so I don't see a problem with people playing on in blitz chess. CC and long games are very different, blitz is meant to be fast, therefore if the person has a win why not take it ?

Surely people can understand there is always a chance of a draw so why in blitz do they see it as rude if the person plays on. There tit for tat reply is to prolong the game by messing around instead of just winning the game, which I think is rude.
  6. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 12:00
    what about the mate in 1 that you mention? Where does the stalemate opportunity arise in that situation?
  7. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 12:03
    Originally posted by PawnChop
    what about the mate in 1 that you mention? Where does the stalemate opportunity arise in that situation?
    It doesn't but I prefer my opponent to win the game rather than having me resign. To me a mating combo is one of the nicest things in chess and is often spoilt by someone resigning. So I like to give that person the mate rather than resign.
  8. over there
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 12:11
    Originally posted by Audacious

Things that tend to annoy me are when people have mate in 1 and let their clock run down to 1 second then mate you or have a mate in a few moves but decide it'll be nice to promote 3 pawns.

Just seems really petty to me. I will play on though to the death, this I feel is a ...[text shortened]... s a possibility so I play on and don't mind if my opponents does the same if I was winning.
    Well if they just have a lone king on the board and keep dancing around without resigning, I might do one of those things. Otherwise I am pretty fair.
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 12:44

Just seems really petty to me. I will play on though to the death, this I feel is a ...[text shortened]... s a possibility so I play on and don't mind if my opponents does the same if I was winning.
    It seems really petty to me that my opponent won't resign when he is in a lost position and I have sufficient time to win. I have sufficient time if there is a mate in 3 and I have 5 seconds left. I have sufficient time if I am a Queen up and I have 90 seconds left.

If my opponent insists on being petty and won't resign a dead lost position I will promote all my pawns, use all my time and mate him on the stroke of midnight just to prove how pathetic he was behaving.
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 12:45
    I was waiting for that reply. There is a difference though, that person has a win within a move or two. But they purposely act like a child and prolong the game just for kicks rather than taking the win.

Whereas playing on is different there is always the chance of a draw or a blunder which is why I don't mind if people play on. But if you have a win you should take it.
    There is not a chance of a draw or blunder if he has a forced mate in 3. Resign! You are rude not to!
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 12:47
    Because as I've already said there is the chance of stalemate. My view is the person needs to win the game they shouldn't get to a point and say this is a won position for me. I've seen many a GM game where they have blundered away pieces and lost games so I don't see a problem with people playing on in [b]blitz chess. CC and long games are very differ ...[text shortened]... prolong the game by messing around instead of just winning the game, which I think is rude.[/b]
    The more pawns he queens the greater the chance of stalemate. Stop being rude and resign. Thne bad ettiquette is on your side not his - he is just saying "look I know how to mate you and I have time to do it so just stop being pathetic and resign".
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 12:48
    It doesn't but I prefer my opponent to win the game rather than having me resign. To me a mating combo is one of the nicest things in chess and is often spoilt by someone resigning. So I like to give that person the mate rather than resign.
    To me having 9 queens on the board is elegant!
  13. Joined
    17 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 12:49
    I beg to differ as I think one of the best things to improve your chess is playing on in lost positions to see what resources you might find and more important it strengthens your chess will/mental attitude.
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 12:52
    Originally posted by yelob
    I beg to differ as I think one of the best things to improve your chess is playing on in lost positions to see what resources you might find and more important it strengthens your chess will/mental attitude.
    Playing on in lost positions is pointless.

By your own admission the position is lost, so resign it.

Anything else is a waste on energy (and your opponents time).
  15. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:06
    Nice spam spree there dragon🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree