22 Dec '06 19:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 19:15
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    He may just get a warning actually, some people are dumb enough not to realize that's against the rules.
  5. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 19:53
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Tommy, I've said it plenty of times. Who cares if it's rude? I never care about my opponents feelings. In fact, I want to crush their pride. 🙂
    Well, I've met many rude chess players. Those who make noises to put you off, to me, are the rudest. Would I ban those like you from tournaments if I could?! Probably, to be honest.
  6. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 19:55
    I met a chess player who one move from checkmate, in which he'd dragged out his losing moves for 30 minutes the checked me out of nothing but spite. 😉
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 19:55
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Well, I've met many rude chess players. Those who make noises to put you off, to me, are the rudest. Would I ban those like you from tournaments if I could?! Probably, to be honest.
    Ha, I resign when the time is right - i.e. when I don't think I can win, which is long before I'm two queens down. But if a player wants to play on in that unpleasant situation that's his choice, and as his opponent you shouldn't let it get to you. I find that when I do that's when I drop a piece and let that player right back into the game.

And if you would ban me from tournaments for not giving a crap about my opponents feelings, well then, grow a pair. 😉
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 19:562 edits
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    I met a chess player who one move from checkmate, in which he'd dragged out his losing moves for 30 minutes the checked me out of nothing but spite. 😉
    I faced somebody on this site (Guarav2711 or something) that was one move away from mate, but made me wait nearly 30 days to time him out. That's rude, but he felt like being a jerk, so I had no choice but to wait. I still got the win. 🙂
  9. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:041 edit
    Ha, I resign when the time is right - i.e. when I don't think I can win, which is long before I'm two queens down. But if a player wants to play on in that unpleasant situation that's his choice, and as his opponent you shouldn't let it get to you. I find that when I do that's when I drop a piece and let that player right back into the game.

And if yo ...[text shortened]... m tournaments for not giving a crap about my opponents feelings, well then, grow a pair. 😉
    Er. . . . I assumed from your message you were an 'anything goes' kind of player. Eg the kind who deliberately doesn't wash before tournaments. You said don't care about being rude during games, after all. One example of that is those who make noises to put people off - these I wish were banned or penalized.

Earlier this year, for instance, I was playing out a crucial adjournment at a rival team's club. One of their players would come and talk near our board when it was my turn. My opponent asked him more than a handful of times to stop doing this - his reply, and I'm not in some way paraphrasing or exaggerating - was literally 'why? it's not your turn to move.'

Rude people like him (and you?) to me are just a waste of time and space.

EDIT. btw, I was talking about OTB tournaments before. I couldn't care less about on-line stuff.
  10. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:10
    When my opponent stalls out a win on Uchess by making me wait until his timebank is empty, I usually just open up RHP on a different browser and read the forums. 🙂

I'll also make slightly amused observations about the weather, chess, and life in general.
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:111 edit
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Er. . . . I assumed from your message you were an 'anything goes' kind of player. Eg the kind who deliberately doesn't wash before tournaments. You said don't care about being rude during games, after all. One example of that is those who make noises to put people off - these I wish were banned or penalized.

Earlier this year, for instance, I was playing I was talking about OTB tournaments before. I couldn't care less about on-line stuff.
    I resign when it's lost (excluding blitz, where I always play it out, people do some crazy things with 3 minutes to play) but I really don't care about your feelings. So I do what it takes to win, although having somebody come over and be annoying is just lame. I do what I need to to win, within the rules. Am I rude? I don't think so, I just like to win, and I like to win without help.

That might not answer your question, basically, no I don't stall games if I think I have a chance, but I also think it's within peoples rights to never resign.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:142 edits
    Any player can do whatever they want within the rules. End of story.
    Of course, but the original poster asked about etiquette. Etiquette concerns how we should behave to reveal the high regard we have for all (regardless of whether merited).

I believe it is time to resign when I could win if I had my opponent's position, and Kramnik had mine. In a time scramble the normal considerations do not apply.
  13. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:16
    I have high regard for those who accept the obvious and resign against me whenever I get bored.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:16
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Of course, but the original poster asked about etiquette. Etiquette concerns how we [b]should behave to reveal the high regard we have for all (regardless of whether merited).[/b]
    Etiquette's a joke. It's chess, who wants their opponent to be their friend while they play? The only reason I resign is because I get bored with a lost game, if I didn't I'd play on.
  15. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:19
    Etiquette's a joke. It's chess, who wants their opponent to be their friend while they play? The only reason I resign is because I get bored with a lost game, if I didn't I'd play on.
    Well, I don't think etiquette is a joke.

Topalov broke etiquette, for instance, and might be banned for three years from professional chess because of it:

http://www.doggers-schaak.nl/lang_nlhensel-vraagt-om-schorsing-topalovlang_nllang_enhensel-asks-for-disqualifying-topalovlang_en/#more-644

Hopefully he will be, and then others like you will stop following his rude example.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree