1. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 15:40
    On the other hand, some people disconnect or adjourn as soon as they have a lost position.
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 16:02
    Every abandoned game I have was a internent connection problem.
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 16:11
    I won't play online blitz.

The following were my results

Played 40;

Won 25;
    Drew 5;
    Lost by disconnection 5;
    Lost on time due to server not responding 3;
    Lost due to computer making move other than than entered by me 2;
    Lost due to my inferior play nil.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 16:25
    Originally posted by Audacious
    Just wanted to hear some views on the do's and don'ts of online blitz chess.

Things that tend to annoy me are when people have mate in 1 and let their clock run down to 1 second then mate you or have a mate in a few moves but decide it'll be nice to promote 3 pawns.

Just seems really petty to me. I will play on though to the death, this I feel is a ...[text shortened]... s a possibility so I play on and don't mind if my opponents does the same if I was winning.
    You sound like a masochist. That's the problem with 'playing until death' - you're completely at the mercy of your opponent to end your suffering. If you have no chances at all, and your opponent has more time on the clock, why go on, even in blitz?
  5. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 16:58
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    your opponent has more time on the clock, why go on, even in blitz?
    Just read my other posts.
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 17:02
    Then don't complain.

I am afraid I disagree totally with you. In fact we have opposite views. I think you are being rude because you won't resign and if you won't resign I won't mate you but will make you suffer and delay until the last possible moment. I will queen all my pawns. In fact I will probably Knight them, then I will sacrifice all my remaining pieces and mate you with 3 Knights.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 17:12
    I did, and found your reasoning unconvincing, and your complaint childish.

What right do you have to tell your opponent how to win the game?
  8. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 17:20
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire

I am afraid I disagree totally with you. In fact we have opposite views. I think you are being rude because you won't resign and if you won't resign I won't mate you but will make you suffer and delay until the last possible moment. I will queen all my pawns. In fact I will probably Knight them, then I will sacrifice all my remaining pieces and mate you with 3 Knights.
    I agree with Dragon Fire. Audacious, you're rude. Do you get +censored and +noplayed a lot?

Mating with three knights is quite good DF. Also, mating with a king move.
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 17:27
    Originally posted by TommyC
    I agree with Dragon Fire. Audacious, you're rude. Do you get +censored and +noplayed a lot?

Mating with three knights is quite good DF. Also, mating with a king move.
    Setting up a mate with a king move is very hard to do even with decisive material advantage which is what makes it so elegant.

What I love about these forum posts (and there have been plenty of threads on this) is that there are two types of players.

Type 1 won't ever resign, no matter how bad their position and they complain when their opponents get draws by repetition or when they stalemate them;
    Type 2 are offended when their time is wasted in an overwhelmingly won position and their opponent drags it out taking 7 days on each obvious and forced move or when their opponent won't accept a draw in say a K & RP vs K where the K is in front of the pawn or K & 2N vs K despite repeated offers and 50 pointless moves are made.

No prizes for guessing which type tends to be the better players. Also no prizes for guessing that they are better because they don't waste time on pointless and futile exercises.
  10. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 17:34
    I don't see how anyone can argue the fact that someone can't get a draw or stalemate, as I've already said I've seen many a blunder at grandmaster level nevermind club player, so whats the harm in playing on.

Dragon alot of your comments seem to based on long/otbgames, you've just stated that you've play 40 online blitz games so why even comment on this blitz thread.

Originally posted by TommyC

I've got plenty of applause on playchess thank you much and it's kinda funny called me rude when you've never played me/spoke to me or seen my games.
  11. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 17:37
    Playing for stalemate when overwhelmingly down shows disrespect, to your opponent and yourself.

Learn to be a better player so you can actually take decent players into a playable endgame.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 17:43
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Playing for stalemate when overwhelmingly down shows disrespect, to your opponent and yourself.
    Sometimes, playing for stalemate is the sign that you are the better player.

It took quite a few moves, but I forced a draw from this hopeless position.

Black to move:

13. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 17:452 edits
    If the black rook were not on the board it would be stalemate.

White has to get himself into a position were he can stop the checks with his g4 rook thus leaving his h4 pawn en prise and ruling out stalemate.
  14. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 17:48
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Learn to be a better player so you can actually take decent players into a playable endgame.
    lol nice statement it would actually mean something if you'd seen any of my blitz games.
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 18:36
    I don't see how anyone can argue the fact that someone can't get a draw or stalemate, as I've already said I've seen many a blunder at grandmaster level nevermind club player, so whats the harm in playing on.

Dragon alot of your comments seem to based on long/otbgames, you've just stated that you've play 40 online blitz games so why even comment on thi ...[text shortened]... s kinda funny called me rude when you've never played me/spoke to me or seen my games.
    I have played thousands of blitz games but gave up on-line after 40 games for the reasons stated but you are asking about ettiquette and, in my opinion, it is rude not to resign a lost game if your opponent has time to win it. A mate in 1 that you know your opponent has seen is lost so you are simply being rude (by not resigning)

If you are material down you certainly continue to play on in blitz way beyond the point you would in long games but I rarely drop material in blitz to simple combinations, draws are only possible if sufficient material remains to draw (so for example continue to play on 2 rooks down in an open game where you still have an active queen) and if not give up. I have never stalemated my opponent - that is such an elementary blunder (good players don't stalemate their opponents carelessly in blitz)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree