1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:24
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Well, I don't think etiquette is a joke.

Topalov broke etiquette, for instance, and might be banned for three years from professional chess because of it:

http://www.doggers-schaak.nl/lang_nlhensel-vraagt-om-schorsing-topalovlang_nllang_enhensel-asks-for-disqualifying-topalovlang_en/#more-644

Hopefully he will be, and then others like you will stop following his rude example.
    Damn dude, I'm not exactly World Class caliber at this point am I? What Topalov did is much worse than anything I've suggested. Topalov wouldn't get baned for three years for not resigning, would he?

There's a time for etiquette, and a chess game is not that time. Chess is about winning, which automatically takes etiquette out of the picture. I don't think you get what I'm saying. My point is that you should do what you can to throw your opponent off, any psychological means, so long as you follow the rules. What Topalov did, and what the guy that talked during your game did does not fit that criteria - since they both broke the rules*.

Topalov's is debatable, but if it turns out that he gets banned then I'd say that he clearly broke rules.
  2. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:31
    etiquette??? On the internet?
  3. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:45
    Smoke detectors in hell.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:46
    Whenever (in blitz) I have a totally won position, with them having no chance of checkmate or stalemate I will set up mating traps, and sometimes, promote all the pawns to B's or N's.

If they still don't get the hint, then I will resign my totally won game.....

The responses you get are quite funny...

"dude y did u resign?"

"You totally outplayed me, well done."
  5. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 20:55
    Why resign?
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 21:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    You should be ashamed of yourself.

You should have got 5 queens.
  7. Joined
    30 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 22:09
    new to chess and this site and I find this debate interesting. I recently finished a game where my opponent was accusing my of stalling the game and ten moves later I check-mated him. And, it hasn't happened yet, but I could see myself playing on in a hopeless position just to see how they'll finish it, its a learning experience. If you think you're winning the game, prove it.
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 22:122 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 23:20
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yes you should have got 4 Knights, sacrificed the Queen and mated him.

I suspect mating with 4 Knights is prety easy.
  10. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 18:32
    Blitz etiquette is not limited to resigning when you have only a king left unless you want to start how to remain below 1400 in blitz for ever. It is about learning from one's mistakes and moving on that is the difference between the guy who is still at 1400 and the guys over 2000.
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 18:45
    Originally posted by z00t
    Blitz etiquette is not limited to resigning when you have only a king left unless you want to start [b]how to remain below 1400 in blitz for ever. It is about learning from one's mistakes and moving on that is the difference between the guy who is still at 1400 and the guys over 2000.[/b]
    Ah yes I remember, Thread 56033
  12. Joined
    19 Dec '06
    Moves
    25 Dec '06 21:30
    How and where do I find blitz games ?
    Read people talking about them, looked at the Tournaments section, but I am new (and no wiser......)
  13. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    25 Dec '06 21:33
    Originally posted by goffin
    How and where do I find blitz games ?
    Read people talking about them, looked at the Tournaments section, but I am new (and no wiser......)
    Blitz games would be everywhere but here.

they are talking about FICS, ICC, Playchess, yahoo chess ect... internet blitz games
  14. Standard memberMathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    leölés ellenfeleim
    Moves
    25 Dec '06 22:11
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    To me having 9 queens on the board is elegant!
    It would make the board look like Brighton Pier...
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 20:40
    I have seen a OTB game where a player refused to resign (being way down on material) and his opponent used keys and a couple of upside down rooks. When the board attracted attention from spectators he resigned.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree