Can i use books to aid play ?

Can i use books to aid play ?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
12 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Gameknot has a link to a DB. Just click on the link and you are immediately shown the DB at your current position with stats on the merits of each move.
Yep, I've used that one too. Still, I prefer my own databases.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
12 May 08

Originally posted by eldragonfly
Thanks for the childish ad hominems, but you have failed to address even one point that i have made.
You have no point - you have only absurd claims which you are repeating like a broken record-player.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
12 May 08

Originally posted by Korch
You have no point - you have only absurd claims which you are repeating like a broken record-player.
Wrong. i repeated them on page 12 in case anyone had missed it. i find it strange that no one has bothered to address a single one directly, instead hiding behind the flawed and distorted definitions, the beyond phony excuses in evidence here, and of course the truckload of childish and worthless ad hominems.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
12 May 08
2 edits

Wrong. i repeated them on page 12 in case anyone had missed it. i find it strange that no one has bothered to address a single one directly, instead hiding behind the flawed and distorted definitions, the beyond phony excuses in evidence here, and of course the truckload of childish and worthless ad hominems.
Your "point" in page 12 is absolute BS which consist of obviously absurd claims. If you can`t see difference between CC chess sites like RHP and online chess sites like Playchess then I` can feel sorry for you.

P.S. But maybe its worth a try for you to read at least one chess book 😀

Moves
12 May 08
2 edits

For the 6th time. A correspondence master said totally the oppsite to you. He is even willing to listen to your ideas and explain to you his ideas as a correspondence master. You keep avoiding this offer because you know your claims are bogus. The more you avoid it without answer (and there can only be one, accepting to talk to him) the more you prove you arent open to the truth.

I think what you might be missing here is the fact that the skills required to play correspondence are slightly different to those OTB, but me consulting a database while playing a CC game is no different to me consulting the same database and the same games in post game analysis OTB, its EXACTLY the same idea, one just happens to be retrograde analysis and the other not.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
12 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Bedlam
For the 6th time. A correspondence master said totally the oppsite to you. He is even willing to listen to your ideas and explain to you his ideas as a correspondence master. You keep avoiding this offer because you know your claims are bogus. The more you avoid it without answer (and there can only be one, accepting to talk to him) the more you prove you arent open to the truth.
Come on! What bad that CC master have done to you if you want to punish him and involve him into discussion with that ignorant and arrogant patzer 😀

Moves
12 May 08

Originally posted by Korch
Come on! What bad that CC master have done to you if you want to punish him and involve him into discussion with that ignorant and arrogant patzer 😀
He was born German. ;-)

SS

Moves
12 May 08
1 edit

W
Angler

River City

Moves
12 May 08

You are just attempting to smear the lines between cc and OTB to justify using databases and books to help your play, when there is no real skill involved..
In point of fact, those with whom you have disagreed here, have established that there is a line (a difference) between OTB and CC. You, OTOH, have been smearing this line, and other lines of difference. Indeed, this smearing appears to be the fundamental assumption beneath your allegation that, despite clear rules supporting the practice, use of books and databases is a form of cheating.

(You also have alleged that it is unethical, which might have given you a place to stand in opposition to existing rules, but have offered nothing resembling an argument in support of this contention.)

s

Moves
12 May 08

is it just me or is a eldragonfly simply laughing at how long this thread has gone because all he/she is trying to do is get under people's skin by pointlessly keeping it going?

it's crystal clear that the case at hand has already been closed. use of databases and books is considered acceptable here at RHP and nearly every other CC organization.

if we want this thread to continue with more pointless arguments maybe we should move it here: http://www.chessatwork.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=93232
🙄

t

Moves
12 May 08

Originally posted by wormwood
you claim I have insulted people, which I never did. I've set you straight both in public and in PMs you initiated, but you continue iterating your paranoid claims nevertheless. you're such a clown.
Sir, I tried to talk to you in PMs you would have none of it.

Smcm08, yes you are right. He is doing a pretty good job with it, sadly.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
12 May 08

Originally posted by smcm08
is it just me or is a eldragonfly simply laughing ...
I wouldn't care what this joker does in the privacy of his or her home. The cat is clearly a troll.

I stated that I would stop feeding the troll, then threw some more morsels. In response to one of Dragon Fire's comments, I took the time to reread the entire thread and check some ratings. I was able to confirm that no one with demonstrated evidence of above average skill had opined against database use, although one had offered some cautions regarding certain assertions in favor.

While clearly the vast majority of postings here are repetitive, and many are replete with nonsense, there have been a few interesting kernels regarding the how of book and database use, and also a few regarding the why.

The nature of all RHP forums, and nearly all online forums of any sort, is that one must separate the chaff from the wheat.

h

Moves
12 May 08

Has anyone here followed this 'simple gambling problem thread' too?

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=90807
http://www.chessatwork.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=90807
http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=90807

On page one, the problem is solved; on page two, the problem's solution is refuted with a brilliant reasoning and nobody can believe it.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
12 May 08

Originally posted by tamuzi
Sir, I tried to talk to you in PMs you would have none of it.

Smcm08, yes you are right. He is doing a pretty good job with it, sadly.
you lie about what I've said, piss on me in public, keep repeating the lie regardless of that I've set you straight several times both in public and privately (ruling out ANY possibility of misunderstanding) and you still keep badmouthing me.

I think I've been pretty damn lenient about your idiocy.

t

Moves
12 May 08

But you have not set me straight, all you do is continue to insult me. I don't want this thread to be a flamewar, thats why i tried to take it to PMs. You wanted nothing of it, you were completely unreceptive to anything and if it wasn't your way you wanted it dropped, I dropped the conversation.

Again, I don't want this thread to be a flamewar, all you're doing is attacking me and calling on the public. I don't want there to be judgment over who is right or wrong, you should drop this, I have.