1. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 19:44
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    90% is an "off the top of his head" statement made on the spur of the moment when I saw him last week and tried to convince him to join. Most likely its 70% to 80% I imagine. I would presume his correspondence grade is circa 2600.

I don't know if you are saying this (maybe you are and its possibly true) but a lowly rated player using an engine would t ...[text shortened]... s real name will not be a problem. I think he plays in 4NCL for either Guildford or Barbican.
    There's a world of difference beween a player matching an engine by 90% (extremely rare unless cheating) and someone matching by 70% (fairly normal). Yes, he was probably exaggerating.

I still don't understand how he is able to achieve a 2600 rating in correspondence. Ok, he has more time to think about his moves compared to OTB. but so do all his opponents! Most players who are active in both OTB and correspondence chess tend to have similar ratings. For instance, I'm rated about 50 points higher on RHP than my Elo rating.

If he really is 2600 strength in correspondence chess then he should easily be one of the top players here. Akizy and Weyerstrass had better watch out!
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 20:10
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    I would not say. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Haha, I like that expression you used. Something new.

I know you aren't here to practise your English. This is a horrible place for that.

I think you are just here to take stabs at people and laugh at them. In that case, you are in the right place!
  3. back in business
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 20:12
    Originally posted by RahimK

I think you are just here to take stabs at people and laugh at them. In that case, you are in the right place!
    I would say you are absolutely right.
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 09:241 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    That rather limits who you are talking about

Guildford

http://www.4ncl.co.uk/0607_reg_gui.htm

Barbican

http://www.4ncl.co.uk/0607_reg_bar.htm
    Strong players all, I'm sure you will agree.

Now if I can just get one of them to join that will be worthwhile won't it.?

Edit: However, having looked at the members in these lists I find he has moved to Wessex in the 4NCL. Imagine my surprise to find that there are 4 other players in that team who I am also been working on to join us here on RHP. All have voiced similar concerns about possible cheating accusations. Maybe its an excuse because they have there hands full but 5 players from Wessexs 4NCL team playing here will be a bonus.

Of course they may not all be that great as 2 of them I have beaten OTB before.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 09:36
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    There's a world of difference beween a player matching an engine by 90% (extremely rare unless cheating) and someone matching by 70% (fairly normal). Yes, he was probably exaggerating.

I still don't understand how he is able to achieve a 2600 rating in correspondence. Ok, he has more time to think about his moves compared to OTB. but so do all his opp ...[text shortened]... he should easily be one of the top players here. Akizy and Weyerstrass had better watch out!
    I think thats my fault as I picked up somewhere that RHP grades were alledgedly 200 or so points higher than OTB for most people so I simply added that to his grade.

My RHP grade is currently 100 above my OTB grade due mainly to improved opening performance but I am optimistic I can convert this with improved OTB play this season. I have played more KGA here for example in the last few months than OTB in the last 10 years and that must result in an improvement.
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 19:56
    Someone ranked 2350 Elo would not match 9 out of 10 moves with a GM for that matter let alone an engine. If you have seen the difference between 2700 and 2500 games you would also note the difference with 2300 games.

Do you have a sample of the said players games against recognised opposition?
  7. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 20:44

[b]Now if I can just get one of them to join that will be worthwhile won't it.?

Edit: However, having looked at the members in these lists I find he has moved to Wessex in the 4NCL. Imagine my surprise to find that there are 4 other players in that team who I am also been working on to join us here o ...[text shortened]... be a bonus.

Of course they may not all be that great as 2 of them I have beaten OTB before.[/b]
    Only if they give me lessons 😛
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 20:53
    Originally posted by z00t
    Someone ranked 2350 Elo would not match 9 out of 10 moves with a GM for that matter let alone an engine. If you have seen the difference between 2700 and 2500 games you would also note the difference with 2300 games.

Do you have a sample of the said players games against recognised opposition?
    Look in the British Chess Magazine. Plenty of games played by them in there for Wessex in the 4NCL.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 20:58

[b]Now if I can just get one of them to join that will be worthwhile won't it.?

Edit: However, having looked at the members in these lists I find he has moved to Wessex in the 4NCL. Imagine my surprise to find that there are 4 other players in that team who I am also been working on to join us here o ...[text shortened]... be a bonus.

Of course they may not all be that great as 2 of them I have beaten OTB before.[/b]
    DF: Now if I can just get one of them to join that will be worthwhile won't it.?

Not really. Why would you think going through all this trouble to drag a player onto an internet chess site he is not inclined to join on his own is "worthwhile"?
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 21:00
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    DF: Now if I can just get one of them to join that will be worthwhile won't it.?

Not really. Why would you think going through all this trouble to drag a player onto an internet chess site he is not inclined to join on his own is "worthwhile"?
    Because they will play for our clan!
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 21:03
    Those are just excuses. They aren't interested in playing here. Let them be.

What's the fun in stacking your clan? Maybe all the clans will be reset like the recs, who knows 🙂
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 21:07
    Clans are pointless except as a way to get more games until the LAME CLAN CHALLENGE SCORING SYSTEM is abolished and replaced by a rationale way to judge team play.
  13. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 21:09
    Look in the British Chess Magazine. Plenty of games played by them in there for Wessex in the 4NCL.
    I did not ask for 2300 games in general there are loads in the British Championship of which I have the pgns. Show me some of the games of your friend specifically where 9 out of 10 moves of his match up with a top engine (not GnuChess). You do not appear to understand the difference between 2300/2500 and 2700 (whose moves would be expected to match top engines).

What is the difference in Gormally's game with that of Adams may I ask, (assuming you know who they are)?
  14. The sky
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 21:21
    If you want to get your clan up in the tables, you need players who play a lot, at whatever level. If you have a player with a very high rating, you might not get many challenges for him even if he wants to play a lot, because there are not so many other players at that level out there. So unless you want to play in the leagues, having high-rated players in the clan isn't really an advantage.
  15. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 21:29
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    If you want to get your clan up in the tables, you need players who play a lot, at whatever level. If you have a player with a very high rating, you might not get many challenges for him even if he wants to play a lot, because there are not so many other players at that level out there. So unless you want to play in the leagues, having high-rated players in the clan isn't really an advantage.
    Ah, but it's the kudos. Like wearing a vest made of solid gold.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree