1. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 03:50
    Not trying to be a jerk but why would a titled player play here? Why not, oh , I don't know, ICCF. Where they could become world champion? How interesting would it be for a GM to play against opponents who hang their queen? Or miss one move knight forks? In a correspondence game no less.
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 09:41
    Originally posted by giantrobot
    Not trying to be a jerk but why would a titled player play here? Why not, oh , I don't know, ICCF. Where they could become world champion? How interesting would it be for a GM to play against opponents who hang their queen? Or miss one move knight forks? In a correspondence game no less.
    A titled player might play here because he liked being a big fish in a small pond, or because he wanted to try some new openings out anonymously.

There are several players on this site who could give an IM a good game. I've played quite a few IMs in OTB games, and whilst they almost always win, I do make them work for it and I usually have chances. There are loads of players considerably stronger than me on this site, and a visiting IM would by no means have it all his own way against the top players here.
  3. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 10:18
    The question is not whether a titled player who can play well in FIDE rules would like to face analysis boards/databases/books from hobbyist players but whether they would sanction the kind of outrageous boasts seen here.

On places like PlayChess some of those with 2200+ ratings are strong players playing anonymously or titled players in semi-retirement. You keep a title for life even if you are ranked 2200. You also have GMs who use their real names.
  4. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 10:23
    Originally posted by z00t
    The question is not whether a titled player who can play well in FIDE rules would like to face analysis boards/databases/books from hobbyist players but whether they would sanction the kind of outrageous boasts seen here.

On places like PlayChess some of those with 2200+ ratings are strong players playing anonymously or titled players in semi-retirement. You keep a title for life even if you are ranked 2200. You also have GMs who use their real names.
    What outrageous boasts are you referring to?
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 10:41
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    What outrageous boasts are you referring to?
    See Thread 59363 for the guy who claims he can see tactics faster than Fritz. It looks like some comments have been edited to save some embarrassment. If indeed one can see tactics faster than Fritz why have an ICC account to spectate? Why not win big money prizes like Kramnik vs Fritz instead of playing here for "free"?

See the start of this thread for another example of outrageous boasts - his friend can match 9 out of 10 engine moves and the 10th is even better.
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 11:323 edits
    9 out of 10? Another from the [b]outrageous boasts club? Looking at Fischer , Kamsky or even Topalov, chess players (or their managers/fathers) are usually known for paranoia and not egocentricity. Perhaps this may need to be revised?

I would presume that your friend (the 9 out of 10 one) is this user User 264880 and he would not need any further " You could not have done a better job unless you had Topalov's Manager...

Ahem enough said.[/b]
    No it is not that user. He hasn't joined (yet)!

What annoys me on genuinely strong (2300+ OTB) players is the continual presumption of che@ting that permeates this site.

There are che@ts, certainly, but lets not assume everyone that is rated above (say) 2300 is che@ting.

The individual(s) I had hoped to convince to join are accused of che@ting before they even join and I find that very sad. What incentive is that for strong players to come on board?

and as regards to

"Originally posted by z00t
    See the start of this thread for another example of outrageous boasts - his friend can match 9 out of 10 engine moves and the 10th is even better."

I have already started it was a tongue in cheek remark, not said or intended to be totally serious. Can't you read? or don't you want to? Perhaps you just like misinterpreting things and trying to stir up trouble.

As to why a highly rated player would play here.
    (1) To practice openings against some of the other highly rated players here; and
    (2) To help me out by filling a slot in our clan with a genuinely strong board 1.
    (3) Lots of other reasons but I can't be bothered to go through them all.
  7. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 11:39
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    No it is not that user. He hasn't joined (yet)!

What annoys me an genuinely strong (2300+ OTB) players is the continual presumption of che@ting that permeates this site.

There are che@ts, certainly, but lets not assume everyone that is rated above (say) 2300 is che@ting.

The individual(s) I had hoped to convince to join are accused of che@ting b ...[text shortened]... even join and I find that very sad. What incentive is that for strong players to come on board?
    I would call it "Von Bardeleben`s syndrom"
  8. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 12:01
    Whilst some of the claims made here are hogwash it is ludicrous to think that there is a mentality of thinking that anyone over 2300 is cheating en-masse and those below not cheating. What gets you banned is if you start playing like an engine - period whether you are 1200 or 2400. Was Ana F a 1200 player not banned for engine use?

Have you not seen low ranked players being caught on PlayChess or are you simply too naive?
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 12:33
    Whilst some of the claims made here are hogwash it is ludicrous to think that there is a mentality of thinking that anyone over 2300 is cheating en-masse and those below not cheating. What gets you banned is if you start playing like an engine - period whether you are 1200 or 2400. Was Ana F a 1200 player not banned for engine use?

Have you not seen low ranked players being caught on PlayChess or are you simply too naive?
    You cannot be rated 1200 and be playing like an engine.

I believe Ana F admitted in the forum to using an engine during a game to check her opponents moves whilst claiming she did not use the engine to help with her moves (or something along similar lines). It would seem obvious from her rating that this was probably true but never-the-less using the engine to analyse during a game in an infringement even if only used to check if an opponent is cheating.

But this obsession at these levels is ridiculous as a 1400 player will not have significant engine matches or else they would not be rated 1400. It goes without saying that you are either using a very poor engine or you cannot be using one unless you have a reasonably high rating. So please lets stop accusing players at these moderate levels of cheating. It is only likely if they are unbeaten and on their way up and then once they start playing really strong players and have to rely exclusively on the engine they will be caught.

Until then stop obsessing about it and enjoy the game.
  10. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 13:07

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 13:12
    To be fair, the highest rated player on your clubs website shows up as a 2137 rated player online.
  12. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '07 17:54
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    To be fair, the highest rated player on your clubs website shows up as a 2137 rated player online.
    Who DF's club?
  13. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    29 Jan '07 18:27
    Cheek out his profile page.
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    29 Jan '07 22:45
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    User 261214

There are stronger players who no longer play actively for the club.
  15. Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 02:42
    Originally posted by wormwood
    true, some people will always think strong players are cheating. but the game mods know what they're doing, and people are banned only after they're proven to be engine users beyond reasonable doubt. that's done through statistical analysis over many games.
    Is 19 considered many?

vanessaisarrousing only played 19 games and got 3b loving.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree