1. The sky
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 23:06
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I was wrong then its still a 12 pawn deficit 21 pawns equivalent on the first rank for the computer and 33 pawns equivalent on the first rank for the person.
    18, not 12; and 39, not 33.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 23:081 edit
    I was wrong then its still a 12 pawn deficit 21 pawns equivalent on the first rank for the computer and 33 pawns equivalent on the first rank for the person.
    Try again. 😉

Edit - Think about it for a second. The only difference in piece count between the player and the computer is that the player has 2 extra queens. What's the value of 2 queens? (It depends on whether you use the Reinfeld values or the Kaufman values.)
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 23:18
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    18, not 12; and 39, not 33.
    I will just shut-up now as I can't seem to count at the moment.
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 23:261 edit
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    i have bought a chess program... cant remember what its called.. grandmaster i think... anyway.... just played it about 15 times, each time removing his rooks at the start and replacing my rooks with queens.... his rating about 2200+.... beaten me everytime...!

you gotta give credit to the program for that...
    Fritz won't let me start with such a position as it is clearly impossible, unless I remove 2 pawns as well. When that is done it rates the stronger side as +17.75 so with the 2 extra pawns I would make that +19.75.

I played Fritz at its top level and it resigned after 4 moves.

I would expect to beat Kramnik with such an advantage.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 23:37
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Fritz won't let me start with such a position as it is clearly impossible, unless I remove 2 pawns as well. When that is done it rates the stronger side as +17.75 so with the 2 extra pawns I would make that +19.75.

I played Fritz at its top level and it resigned after 4 moves.

I would expect to beat Kramnik with such an advantage.
    It looks like Fritz is using something close to the Kaufman piece values, as the Kaufman values say that 2 queens are worth 19.5 pawns. I'm sure Fritz is adjusting the evaluation for positional considerations, also.

I'm guessing that Fritz has a setting that you can change to prevent Fritz from resigning.
  6. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 03:10
    Of course! with the conditions he stated you could make almost any moves during the game like sacking a couple queens for an attack and still be winning... yet he looses every time!
    yet i have a higher rating than you... strange

apology accepted
  7. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 03:12
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    what you talking about...? dont come on here with your crude jibes... you play the engine then... you dont even know what one i'm talking about so how the hell can you judge the program's abilities....

when was the last time you played a gm... never... cos they wont play you cos you think they're your friends
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 03:12
    yet i have a higher rating than you... strange

apology accepted
    I wouldn't be too sure of yourself (or full of yourself) as ratings don't mean too much when there is only a 100 point difference at our level plus I am at 1500 but playing people 1650+
  9. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 03:15
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    if you come on here again making your cheap little remarks i'm gonna report you.... and dont do the usualy oh look what he's done at the forums... kids playground behaviour... if you cant answer a simple point then dont bother at all.... i wonder if you would still make the same comment if we were face to face and i made the same remark.... oh course not.... so dont hide behind your screen and make your cheap comments at me now... if you do it again your reported so go back to your little cheap hole and stay there
  10. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 03:15
    I wouldn't be too sure of yourself (or full of yourself) as ratings don't mean too much when there is only a 100 point difference at our level plus I am at 1500 but playing people 1650+
    i could beat you anytime loser and i probably already have....
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 03:16
    i could beat you anytime loser and i probably already have....
    wanna go right now?
  12. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 03:17
    wanna go right now?
    only if you beg
  13. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 03:18
    what you talking about...? dont come on here with your crude jibes... you play the engine then... you dont even know what one i'm talking about so how the hell can you judge the program's abilities....

when was the last time you played a gm... never... cos they wont play you cos you think they're your friends
    Well I can't speak for him but I have played a few GM's in my time and even being down a piece is tough for a GM...the scenario you brought up is completely ludicrous.

As for you being "full of yourself" as tomtom pointed out...I agree.

Instead of playing completely idiotic setup positions with your program why don't you try and beat someone with a high rating here...would definetly help your game more then playing Dora the Exporer chess in fantasy land.

Dave
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 03:20
    only if you beg
    I'm not begging..you can just put up or shut up
  15. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 03:21
    Originally posted by nmdavidb
    Well I can't speak for him but I have played a few GM's in my time and even being down a piece is tough for a GM...the scenario you brought up is completely ludicrous.

As for you being "full of yourself" as tomtom pointed out...I agree.

Instead of playing completely idiotic setup positions with your program why don't you try and beat someone with a hi ...[text shortened]... definetly help your game more then playing Dora the Exporer chess in fantasy land.

Dave
    funny you said that considering i've beaten you.... still bitter about it....

apology accepted

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree