1. Standard memberdzirilli
    Duchampion
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 18:30
    He does seem a cad, but that was his chess column, not an obituary.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 18:573 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 19:281 edit

4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 00:53
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I lean towards Robbie's point of view. I don't know about a suit and tie, but I think business casual is appropriate for a serious tournament. My pref. organizer of chess events in the US enforces a dress code.

Blitz you can wear what you like, but classical chess you should dress like you are attending the symphony, church, or a family event. Whatever that might be for you.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 06:461 edit
    How many working-class blokes (coal miners?) normally wear a suit and a tie?

well its a rather interesting phenomena dear Duchess, and speaking from
    experience (my grandfather was a coal miner) although he didn't play chess but the
    euphonium in a brass band, it was and I think still is a generality, at least in Scotland
    that working class people dress up to go out, whereas those in the higher echelons
    tended to dress down. Perhaps i am reflecting a class bias I cannot say, but being
    slovenly presented has certainly no appeal and as every dude knows 'every girl
    crazy about a sharp dressed man!'

Take for example Gawain Jones, he turns up in a Stetson cowboy hat rimmed with
    what looks like a snake skin that more befits a Delta blues-man than a chess player,
    it was only a matter of time before he called on his Louisiana mojo to find some
    good moves for him, pretentious or what? Man he needs his bum felt to bring him
    back to reality.

Yes i am quite sure that ladies appreciate being treated as adults, never the less, the
    rules do state that a player should not distract another player, either directly or
    indirectly and if it means that low neck lines can be construed as a distraction then
    so be it. One not need to be flamboyantly dressed in a sequenced ball gown dear
    Dutchess, its not a question of fashion, but of modesty and our little Cinderella
    therefore has no need to worry.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 06:521 edit
    Decollete Opening Gambit, lol, thats funny! creating some luft for an opening advantage 🙂
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 13:46
    Quite so.

And most men should equally be treated like adults, not like schoolboys who can't concentrate because they're sitting next to, shucks, a girl! Ooh, cooties!

Whatever next - Kirsan will decide that loose female hair leads men to unclean thoughts and decrees that all women players shall modestly cover their heads?

Richard
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 13:54
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Blitz you can wear what you like, but classical chess you should dress like you are attending the symphony, church, or a family event. Whatever that might be for you.
    Problem: not everybody wears the same thing to any of those three. Or four. I see women wearing dresses at classical concerts that they wouldn't wear in church. What I myself wear to a family event depends on whether it's a marriage or our yearly all-cousins'-get-together. But a tie? I wear that to funerals.

Besides, chess is a competitive event. Demanding that contestants wear attire which isn't (within reason) comfortable to them is just a bad idea. Wimbledon can demand whites, because that's just the colour. It can't demand hotpants, even if some players would be fine with that - because many others would not. Chess should be the same: you can demand the same kind of decency you would expect on the streets (no bikinis), not the kind you can expect at an official function.

Richard
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 22:27

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 22:451 edit

11. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 22:54

12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Apr '12 06:52
    Is it sooo much to ask than one dress modestly? Perhaps Mr. Cowely was distracted,
    perhaps his opponent simply played better chess.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Apr '12 23:59

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 00:04

15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 10:322 edits
    Who 'usually', know how to dress appropriately being the operative word, the FIDE
    ruling is obviously designed to take into consideration any anomalies and makes
    perfect sense, the last thing a dude wants or needs when he's trying to create is to be
    distracted. To state that it would not be a distraction if excessive cleavage was shown
    is to underestimate and diminish the attraction and its not excessively draconian to ask
    women to dress with modesty, is it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree