1. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 15:423 edits
    Originally posted by DCpoc1985
    From Wikipedia

"An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"😉, short for argumentum ad hominem, [b]is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it
    .[1] Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as a logical fallacy."

It's funny, in this argument we've both be be impacted and they are responsible for any negative results that come from this.[/b]
    So as yet you cannot state why FIDE has not the right to impose a dress code which
    advocates modesty other than, its open to interpretation and is a subjective matter.
    Really, is not the case that in football the referee may render a subjective decision
    based upon his experience and evaluation of certain defining evidences? Is it not so
    that others may also see the very same event, with the very same criteria yet render
    an entirely different and contrary opinion? Does the subjective aspect invalidate the
    referees decision? nope, for it is final. FIDE therefore has the right as the governing
    body to insist on certain criteria, one of which is that participants dress modestly,
    irrespective of what constitutes modesty or otherwise, for surely that is the remit of the
    arbitrators, who will use their discretion. Why this should be a matter of controversy I
    cannot say nor why it should be viewed as inappropriate.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 20:363 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:002 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    This is a nonsense, why? simply because FIDE has the right to set its own standards
    of conduct. You have as yet, nor has anyone else for that matter, given a single
    valid reason as to why FIDE should not expect participants in its tournaments to
    dress modestly. What we have had so far is, its a subjective matter, so what, so is a
    penalty kick decision at a football match, it hardly invalidates the referees decision.
    That it should be consistent with the legislation already in place governed by local
    laws and customs, which is fine, if the tournament isn't held in the Kalahari desert,
    otherwise we might be expected to dress as tribesmen, or in the red light district of
    Amsterdam, where one might claim just about anything goes. No FIDE has done the
    right thing. Asking players to be modest is not a law as such, but a principle and
    allows leeway for all kinds of things within the scope of the parameters of that which
    may be termed modest, its both simple and universal and like all good principles,
    far reaching and flexible. You cannot complain. Attempts to make it personal shall
    henceforth be ignored, its not about me.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:08

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:11
    even to play chess while dressing to please herself rather than to placate a chess
    official,

ahhh yes the real crux of the matter, forget what anyone else thinks, its all about me!
    my personal freedoms, me! me! me! me! me! Let me ask you sincerely Duchess, the
    modest people that you have met in your life, were they self effacing or bent on
    attracting attention to themselves? Therein lies the difference me thinks!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:15
    Nope, FIDE has its own code of conduct and so it should, conducive to the specifics of
    tournament chess. FIDE believes it may be an issue and have simply introduced a
    principle to take care of any occurrences, I see no controversy.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:25

8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:29
    Robbie, don't even respond to her anymore. This is what she starts doing every time somebody shows the extent of her ludicrousness.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:38

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:39
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Robbie, don't even respond to her anymore. This is what she starts doing every time somebody shows the extent of her ludicrousness.
    I actually think that Duchess makes some excellent points, but she has a certain bias,
    due to her gender, which may influence her ability to remain objective. I like her.
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:43
    There's no point arguing with him, he once admitted lying about racism directed at his own family so as to not be proven wrong in a debate down in the spirituality forum. Couple that with his complete inability to read what someone posts and thus follow the thread, you might as well talk to the wall.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:442 edits

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:47
    You have still failed to state why asking players to be modest is so vehemently wrong.
    You have attempted to state that local customs should be the defining character, i have
    attempted to demonstrate that a chess game has its own specifics and that the FIDE
    legislation is simply an attempt to address any issues which may or may not arise. You
    have not stated why modesty is not to be preferred, other than, it infringes personal
    freedom to wear what one desires within local customs. How is FIDE infringing on
    personal choice if it simply asks its participants to be modest?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:50
    I never fall out with anyone, even proper knob, he's always falling out with me. I have
    no reason to dislike or not remain on cordial terms with you Duchess, its not about us.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 21:512 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    There's no point arguing with him, he once admitted lying about racism directed at his own family so as to not be proven wrong in a debate down in the spirituality forum. Couple that with his complete inability to read what someone posts and thus follow the thread, you might as well talk to the wall.
    love you man! its Realpolitik in spirituality, one must do what one can to survive down
    there, they got some hungry wolves!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree