1. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 19:59
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    He already posted it and you know it.

Originally posted by no1marauder
    [b]I don't consider it "damning evidence". My OTB rating is 385 points lower than my rating here. If one is used to playing without a clock most of their life in casual settings or on an internet CC site, the changeover to OTB tournament play with a clock ticking can be quite ...[text shortened]... 0 points greater than nmdbaker, and you know his his OTB rating... what was it? 2200?

P-
    So, roughly 1500, or maybe a smidgen over. I just don't understand why he was so evasive, unless he just didn't like the way the question was asked.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 20:09
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    So, roughly 1500, or maybe a smidgen over. I just don't understand why he was so evasive, unless he just didn't like the way the question was asked.
    Math isn't THAT hard!

😉

I'm sure he would give an exact number if asked, or did he decline to do so someplace?

P-
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 20:13
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Math isn't THAT hard!

😉

I'm sure he would give an exact number if asked, or did he decline to do so someplace?

P-
    He just said that it was quite well know on this site, but he didn't mention the number. If you remembered his prior post, then you could do the subtraction. But I guess a number of people, including me, didn't remember his prior post.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 20:20
    He just said that it was quite well know on this site, but he didn't mention the number. If you remembered his prior post, then you could do the subtraction. But I guess a number of people, including me, didn't remember his prior post.
    We'll have to let num-nuts answer that one, I dare not speculate there.

P-
  5. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 20:23
    I dont think it could be that low he's better than that.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 20:30
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    I dont think it could be that low he's better than that.
    His explaination seems rather reasonable why his correspondence and OTB rating are so different.

OTB you must move with the clock running and running, when you get tired, when you may not feel like it. With correspondence he doesn't need to move if he doesn't feel like it, he can set the board up and move the pieces around, think more if he like, not make a move right away if he's not in the mood.

He posted this someplace else, but I don't have time right now to dig it up.

P-
  7. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 21:021 edit
    I am a relative newcomer but I have to say I have voted for David Tebb, Gatecrasher and Korch, IMO they have all shown themselves to be competent and contributive members to the site.

EDIT

No disrespect to the others in the voting, I am just more aware of the three I voted for.
  8. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 21:03
    Originally posted by Pigface1
    I am a relative newcomer but I have to say I have voted for David Tebb, Gatecrasher and Korch, IMO they have all shown themselves to be competent and contributive members to the site.

EDIT

No disrespect to the others in the voting, I am just more aware of the three I voted for.
    Those are three very good choices.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 21:361 edit
    The question was: do you have an OTB rating that can verify your identity?

The answer wasn't "evasive" and I have no problem with the question. I answered it.

If the question was: what is your OTB rating, I would have answered that as well (it's already been discussed in the Forums).

My OTB rating is 1503 after 15 tournaments. That's about the same as !~TONY~! was at the same stage. I played my whole life without a clock (though like Gatecrasher, I didn't play much for about 20 years before finding this site though I had a couple dozen games with an 1800 OTB with slightly minus results) and as I have mentioned several places it is still taking an effort to get used to it. I'd also mention that my first OTB rated tournament was when I was in my late forties, so comparisons with other players under different circumstances is a bit difficult.

I'm not ashamed of my OTB record which does include draws against a presently Expert rated player and an over 1900 OTB along with about a half dozen wins against 1600+ (that's in about 50 games). I expect to do better in the future; but having a better than average OTB rating against competitors who invariably have a lot more experience in USCF rated tourneys than I do isn't a disgrace.

From my experience and my Fritz game analyses, I'd say in the middle ranges the average RHP rating is inflated by about 300 points or more over an USCF OTB one.

If chosen for the Game Mod team (or even if not), I welcome an analysis by the Game Mods of my games. I know what the results will be even if some people here continue to try to insinuate differently. I note that those making these insinuations all have no USCF rating at all or have lied about what there's is. I wonder if they would welcome a Game Mod inspection of their games?

EDIT: Read here: http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=88324&page=4

The rest of that thread is very interesting.
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 21:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The question was: do you have an OTB rating that can verify your identity?

The answer wasn't "evasive" and I have no problem with the question. I answered it.

If the question was: what is your OTB rating, I would have answered that as well (it's already been discussed in the Forums).

My OTB rating is 150 ...[text shortened]... .php?threadid=88324&page=4

The rest of that thread is very interesting.
    Cool, thanks for the reply, although I'm not sure why I jumped into this issue, since it wasn't my question and I really have no interest in the issue. 🙂 I guess I jumped in because of the apparent coyness of the answer (and maybe I was wrong in my inference of that).

Anyway, I'm not sure who's been making these insinuations you speak of. (I guess I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the recent posts.) I hope you don't think I'm one of them, as that wasn't my intent. I wish all of you prospective moderators good luck. I'm not sure it's a job I'd be lobbying hard to get, as it's a lot of thankless work. I tip my hat to anyone willing to volunteer for the job.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 22:43
    Cool, thanks for the reply, although I'm not sure why I jumped into this issue, since it wasn't my question and I really have no interest in the issue. 🙂 I guess I jumped in because of the apparent coyness of the answer (and maybe I was wrong in my inference of that).

Anyway, I'm not sure who's been making these insinuations you speak of. (I guess I hav ...[text shortened]... 's a lot of thankless work. I tip my hat to anyone willing to volunteer for the job.
    I have heard through the grapevine, and by VERY good source, that the pay isn't all that great either 😉 !!! I agree Kudo's to them !!!
  12. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 01:40
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I would like to hear from themselves why they should get my vote.
    Their opinion of cheating, and how severe the action will be, how active they can promise to be in moderate games, and other things of interest.
    I'll just say a few things about myself, as most people who use the forums seem to know about me.

I was a Game Mod from January 2005 (when they were first set up) until September 2006. During that time I must have put in thousands of hours work, mainly analysing games, compiling statistics, and trying my very best to make the right decisions about whether someone was an engine user.

I have an official Fide Elo rating of 2209. My highest ever Fide rating was 2320, but that was quite a few years ago.

My view of cheating is that it's a serious problem for any correspondence / email based site, and this site is no exception. The site has grown immensely since I joined in 2002, when there were just a few hundred players to about 20,000 now. Unfortunately the number of cheats playing on the site has also grown rapidly. The Game Mods are not a perfect solution, but having them is a lot better than doing nothing.

If I am chosen as a Game Mod, I promise to put in the necessary work, which will be at least a few hours every week. I would take my responsibilities very seriously. A great deal of care has to be taken over every decision that the Game Mods make, because it's not in anyone's interest to ban an innocent player, or to clear a guilty player who then goes on to cheat in many more games.
  13. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 02:022 edits
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    I'll just say a few things about myself, as most people who use the forums seem to know about me.

I was a Game Mod from January 2005 (when they were first set up) until September 2006. During that time I must have put in thousands of hours work, mainly analysing games, compiling statistics, and trying my very best to make the right decisions about whe n innocent player, or to clear a guilty player who then goes on to cheat in many more games.
    The thing I really question about you is the dedication, why did you quit the first time? You quiting (and tim) basically opened the door for Cludi which youve been spectacul of at the least.
  14. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 02:15
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    The thing I really question about you is the dedication, why did you quit the first time? You quiting (and tim) basically opened the door for Cludi which youve been spectacul of at the least.
    Well, there were various reasons.

I was a Game Mod for nearly 2 years. That's a very long time for anyone in such a job. As I said in my previous post, I must have put in thousands of hours work, the majority of which is fairly routine and tedious. By the time that I left I felt a bit jaded and thought that someone fresher with more enthusiasm should take my place.

Another reason for my resigning was out of frustration with the length of time that it took to process each case. A lot of people told me that they had lost confidence in the Game Mods because they reported someone who they believed was an engine user, but no action was taken against them. In fact, often such a person was eventually banned, but more than 6 months after they were reported. Hopefully the new Game Mod team will be more efficient in processing cases and more cheats will be dealt with than previously.
  15. Joined
    18 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 02:38
    All excellent candidates - I voted for Korch, Gatecrasher and Phlabibit 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree