1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 13:44
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    16's about right. Anyway, no1, I can't say that cms does have an OTB rating, but I see him on ICC chuggin away all the time, if that means anything to you.
    It doesn't mean much; I played on Playchess and FICS and the USLF and had a rating in the 1700 and 1800's. OTB is a different animal, at least to me.
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 14:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It doesn't mean much; I played on Playchess and FICS and the USLF and had a rating in the 1700 and 1800's. OTB is a different animal, at least to me.
    I'm confused about your argument though. I'm not picking a fight, I just want a clarification. Why does a player on the game mods team need an OTB rating? So you can prove he's a real person? Then it doesn't really matter what it is correct? Or is it so you can confidently verify he's a strong, non cheating player?
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 14:48
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I'm confused about your argument though. I'm not picking a fight, I just want a clarification. Why does a player on the game mods team need an OTB rating? So you can prove he's a real person? Then it doesn't really matter what it is correct? Or is it so you can confidently verify he's a strong, non cheating player?
    Hey Tony, some users are suggesting that we have info to compare OTB official ratings to RHP... I think they are very different and depend on the mind-set of each user.

My OTB is low, but only because I played no more than 6 or 8 games back in the mid 90's.

No one is willing to answer questions coming up, but isn't pressing for info from others unless they bring it up.

P-
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 14:51
    Originally posted by Katonah
    Over the board, OTB play has about as much correlation with correspondence play as being an astronaunt to skateboarding. There is no match between these disciplines of chess. This has been discussed before ad infinitum and ad naseum 🙁
    Agreed. I've compared them to NASCAR vs Drag race and marathon vs. sprint. It depends what your cut out to do and it's very rare they match...

P-
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 15:191 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Nonsense!

1500 is below average club player:
    Basic opening knowledge, spotting routine tactics for both sides, some prophylaxis, some strategy, basic endgame knowledge, sound thought process etc...

2000+ (OTB or CC) is like a different language. Congrats - you're in the top 0.5 % of the chess playing population:
    Strong club player - advanced co ...[text shortened]... ld go on but it's a bit like comparing a sunday 5-a-side footballer with a Premiership player.
    isn't galaxyshield something like 1500 otb and 1900 rhp? and with a huuuge game load.

anyway, I wouldn't be surprised at all if many of the 2000's here were 1600 or 1500 otb. there's a huge difference between working out the correct move in 300 minutes of effective analysis time (over a week), to having 2min to see it all and not buckle under the pressure.

they're just not comparable.
  6. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 15:22
    Originally posted by wormwood
    isn't galaxyshield something like 1500 otb and 1900 rhp? and with a huuuge game load.

anyway, I wouldn't be surprised at all if many of the 2000's here were 1600 or 1500 otb. there's a huge difference between working out the correct move in 300 minutes of effective analysis time (over a week), to having 2min to see it all and not buckle under the pressure.

I agree.

"Good OTB players have good physical condition, strong nerves, an extraordinary memory, and the ability to concentrate well and to adapt quickly to changing situations on the board. Good CC players are extremely patient, hardworking and can analyze well. There is a tradeoff between intuition and analytical care. The less intuition a CC player has, the more he must work. Of course, both abilities are needed for any kind of chess, but to different extents."

"Unlike OTB players who rely on their mental and physical abilities only, a CC player can resort to all kinds of support.He may sit in front of a board, moving pieces forth and back [....]He may search the literature to find the most recent opening novelty, or he may think that consulting his huge game database is quicker for this purpose."

"CC players can sleep on their decisions before they commit to them by putting post cards into the letter box. This is particularly important for players who don't have infallible intuitions, but must instead systematically experiment with various plans before reaching a profound insight."

"CC players also can take time if the position changes its character. They can slowly get used to it, whereas an OTB player must be able to accomodate to such changes within seconds."

"Modern OTB chess puts strong emphasis on the psychologically best move. This is the one causing the most trouble for the opponent in the situation at hand. Throwing in a piece, complicating the position at almost any price, if the opponent is in time trouble - all this may yield the point even if the 'truth' in the position is different."

From http://www.dfki.de/~busemann/corr-chess.html
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 15:30

I can't help but chuckle over this. I seem to remember opining in a thread a while back that I thought RHP ratings were inflated over otb ratings. You wouldn't believe the number of people who came out of the woodwork to rip me a new one over my statement. Oh well, I won't make that mistake again. 😉
  8. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 15:41
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I can't help but chuckle over this. I seem to remember opining in a thread a while back that I thought RHP ratings were inflated over otb ratings. You wouldn't believe the number of people who came out of the woodwork to rip me a new one over my statement. Oh well, I won't make that mistake again. 😉
    Well I must be some sort of freak in that my OTB performance is very roughly equal to my CC rating (I should be around ECF 90 after my first season) & even my blitz over at yahoo is 1450 & I completely suck at that!
  9. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 15:53
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Well I must be some sort of freak in that my OTB performance is very roughly equal to my CC rating (I should be around ECF 90 after my first season) & even my blitz over at yahoo is 1450 & I completely suck at that!
    If your OTB performance is very roughly equal to your CC rating it does not mean that all should have the same OTB/CC rating relation.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 15:57
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    it goes both ways. jusuh has currently an otb rating of 2007 (otb blitz 2123, -wow, he's gained a 100 pts since I last looked!) and 1608 rhp.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 16:00
    Looks like Korch, Gatecrasher and Tebb will be the winners!
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 16:02
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Looks like Korch, Gatecrasher and Tebb will be the winners!
    The vote is largely irrelevant.

D
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 16:06
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    The vote is largely irrelevant.

D
    that's the exact opposite of what russ said.
  14. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 16:08
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I urge everyone who voted for me to change their vote and vote for cmsMaster - his ego obviously needs the stroking.
    No thanks
  15. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 16:11
    it goes both ways. jusuh has currently an otb rating of 2007 (otb blitz 2123, -wow, he's gained a 100 pts since I last looked!) and 1608 rhp.
    Jusuh has played 40 rated games of which he has won 33. This makes you wonder why his rating is so low. After a short time thinking the obvious conclusion is that that's just a sign of the people he has been beating on RHP. Given the way ELO ratings works this has to be the only conclusion. After a short run on his rating graph and a look on some of his opponent ratings I saw I was correct.

So the conclusion is that ratings isn't just a measure of your true skill but also a measure of you have beaten and that there are a lot of ways of skewing results. And of course there is also the question of how many games one has played to achieve the said rating. And on jusuh's case he hasn't palyed that many games for a rating system that is statistical in essence to be correct.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree