Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 18:45
    Go Korch!
  2. The sky
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 18:52
    Originally posted by ludz
    It does not make sense to have 10 forum mods for 50-100 people and 3 forum mods for 20,000-100,000 people. They should at least choose the 5 as that is more than 3. 3 is too small.
    Russ hasn't said yet how many game mods he's going to choose for the team. The fact that we can vote for only three doesn't mean there will be only three on the team. Besides, comparing the number of game mods to the number of forum mods isn't very meaningful. Those are completely different things.
  3. back in business
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 19:23
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Russ hasn't said yet how many game mods he's going to choose for the team. The fact that we can vote for only three doesn't mean there will be only three on the team. Besides, comparing the number of game mods to the number of forum mods isn't very meaningful. Those are completely different things.
    If it is true that there are only 50-100 people in the forum then 10 forum mods is overkill and they are stepping on each others toes. Comparing the game mods to forum mods is meaningful as it shows the site is more concerned with the forums than cheating in games. How many jurors sit in court? 3 or 10-12? Why not 3 jurors?
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 19:43
    If it is true that there are only 50-100 people in the forum then 10 forum mods is overkill and they are stepping on each others toes. Comparing the game mods to forum mods is meaningful as it shows the site is more concerned with the forums than cheating in games. How many jurors sit in court? 3 or 10-12? Why not 3 jurors?
    It would be nice if game mods could stop a chess engine user within moments of cheating, and have one almost always online doing this job.

In the forums a new user could come at any time filling them with spam, abuse, foul language, and pron. Forum mods are not online 24 hours a day, so having several makes sure the chances are better that a forum mod will be online at any given time.

When you think about the basics of your statement, I agree that chess should be more important than the forums, cheating should be more important than a user trying to mess the forums up.

The problem is that figuring out who is cheating is a lot harder than finding out who to stop using the forums. The mods don't step on each other, though they don't always agree on a decision.

If it's up to me, there will be 6 or so game mods, plus the admin Chris. Game mods don't need to be around as often as forum mods, and will never be able to make the snap decisions that forum mods make.

Quantity of one has little to do with the quantity of the other, but I understand you making the comparison. Just trying to answer you best I can.

P-
  5. The sky
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 19:57
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Forum mods are not online 24 hours a day
    That's outrageous!
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 23:16
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    That's outrageous!
    They probably take the time, to eat, sleep, work, & .........................Fill in the blank 😉
  7. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 23:17

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. The sky
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 23:211 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    He is omnipresent. I am surprised that you even need to ask. Can't you feel his presence?
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 00:08
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Saturday evening...Probably out the Pub have a few wet ones !!
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 03:42
    That's the popularity contest over.....when's the swimsuit round 😛
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 04:52
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I'm confused about your argument though. I'm not picking a fight, I just want a clarification. Why does a player on the game mods team need an OTB rating? So you can prove he's a real person? Then it doesn't really matter what it is correct? Or is it so you can confidently verify he's a strong, non cheating player?
    I think you're misunderstanding what I said. Others have suggested that a 1500 OTB rating disqualifies someone from being on the team. I don't agree with this; there have been effective Game Mods with lower or no OTB rating at all.

People can judge whether it's misleading to compare your OTB rating after 15 tournaments with mine. I sincerely hope that after 29 more tourneys I can achieve the OTB rating you have.
  12. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 05:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I think you're misunderstanding what I said. Others have suggested that a 1500 OTB rating disqualifies someone from being on the team. I don't agree with this; there have been effective Game Mods with lower or no OTB rating at all.

People can judge whether it's misleading to compare your OTB rating after 15 tournaments with mine. I sincerely hope that after 29 more tourneys I can achieve the OTB rating you have.
    Oh I see. I could really care less what the persons OTB rating is. They're either qualified and will do a good job or not. Of course, a solid OTB rating is a good indicator that they're a competent player, and have experience playing strong players.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 07:10
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Oh I see. I could really care less what the persons OTB rating is. They're either qualified and will do a good job or not. Of course, a solid OTB rating is a good indicator that they're a competent player, and have experience playing strong players.
    i know i don't have any suffrage on RHP....but i require that the new mod at least eats cheese once a month. If he doesn't, he's not human!

/uselesspost
  14. Joined
    08 Sep '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 07:43

265 voters is laughable for a site with thousands of members. There should be at least 2000-5000 voters and they should choose 10 game mods.
    If such, maybe all subscribers should be messaged as for the recent 'i don't use engine ' thing ?
  15. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 10:041 edit
    Originally posted by polux
    If such, maybe all subscribers should be messaged as for the recent 'i don't use engine ' thing ?
    Good idea. Looks like all active forum poster have voted as number of voters increases very slowly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree