GM Norblackheart - some news!

GM Norblackheart - some news!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
13 Feb 11

Originally posted by nolaviking
I played GM Norblackheart and asked him if he was for real. His stats was to good to be true. I am from Sweden and addressed him in Swedish and he answered me, in Norwegian, and stated he was Kjetil Lie with a ELO of 2530. I reported this to the site-admin.
heh, it's so trivial to differentiate between google translation and bad flow if you have even a fleeting understanding in the language in question. even with my crap svenskan I can see miles away when someone's using computer translation. it's really not that different from spotting engine use at chess, the bad engine translation just isn't at all like bad human translation...

c

Romania

Moves
14 Feb 11

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Yes but in the Championship games his opponents have to wait 50 days
before the skull appears.

He is slipping down the table, those waiting for skulls will have to set
their alarms to skull him whilst his grade is so high.
He has ATM 56 games in progress, last to skull him will get a few points.

I wonder if anyone will refuse to skull him because it's bad manners.
(see the 'shall I' or 'should I' threads.)
I see that RHP still didn't find any evidence of cheating to take measures. Maybe indeed Kjetil Lie playes here and the author of this thread is a liar. 🙂

Moves
14 Feb 11

Originally posted by cotoi
I see that RHP still didn't find any evidence of cheating to take measures. Maybe indeed Kjetil Lie playes here and the author of this thread is a liar. 🙂
Come now, you yourself have said how slowly things happen around here. I'm sure something will happen eventually....

Of course, Atticus' methods seem more effective, to my continuing surprise.

e4

Moves
14 Feb 11
1 edit

Impersonating someone is against TOS and a ban usually follows.

I thought a ban would follow then thought about it.
In this case it was done by PM's.
To be fair the powers that be cannot ban on the strength of a PM,
although I do believe atticus, I think the lad has to post in a forum
or on his profile that he is somebody else.

Else I could say 'Jack Jones' just PM'd me that he was Nigel Short
can you ban him.

Edit:
OOPS. Just did a check, there is/was a player on here called Jack Jones.
(a name I plucked from thin air).

MR

Moves
14 Feb 11
1 edit

Are you certain of that?

The lead-in paragraph of TOS #6 (Member Conduct) states,

"You understand that all information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages or other materials ("Content" ), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from which such Content originated. This means that you, and not RHP, are entirely responsible for all Content that you post, email, transmit or otherwise make available via the Service."

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
14 Feb 11

Impersonating someone is against TOS and a ban usually follows.

I thought a ban would follow then thought about it.
In this case it was done by PM's.

Else I could say ...[text shortened]... a check, there is/was a player on here called Jack Jones.
(a name I plucked from thin air).
Then again is he impersonating someone or just chosen a user name?

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
14 Feb 11

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Are you certain of that?

The lead-in paragraph of TOS #6 (Member Conduct) states,

"You understand that all information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages or other materials ("Content" ), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from which such Content originate ...[text shortened]... for all Content that you post, email, transmit or otherwise make available via the Service."
Then again how many Norwegians do you think are called Kjetil Lie?

e4

Moves
14 Feb 11

Hi Mad Rook.

Yeah, you have a point there. PM's seem to be covered.
He has told quite a few people by PM he is a GM and the GM he said
he was has denied it.

Perhaps the powers are conducting their own research.

st johnstone

Moves
14 Feb 11

hes down to 71st, not moved in 8 days guilty as charged. well done atticus, who is next?

e4

Moves
14 Feb 11
1 edit

He is now down to 96 in the charts.

I'll give him a wee wave when he passes me on his way to the 1600's.

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
14 Feb 11

Hi Mad Rook.

Yeah, you have a point there. PM's seem to be covered.
He has told quite a few people by PM he is a GM and the GM he said
he was has denied it.

Perhaps the powers are conducting their own research.
I suspect admin must do there own research. After all, I could tell the admins that some fool called greenpawn34 just sent me a PM claiming to be Angus MacArlsen. It aint necessarily true so I suppose they have to make sure the claimed PMs do exist, do say what they are supposed to say and came from the accused. Otherwise GP could be toast by tomorrow!

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
14 Feb 11

If Admin doubted the substance of my claim, and/or if they were seeking further validation, they would surely ask me. They haven't. I do not for a minute doubt that Admin believe what I have posted here. Otherwise they would have removed this thread days ago. And anyway, GP (for example) knows where to contact Andrew Martin easily enough to check out what I've said, and thus remove all doubt that GM Kjetil Lie is not GM Norb... nor vice versa.

Like others, I'm baffled that GM Norb... remains on the list. Presumably Admin have commercial or contractual issues to satisfy before they ban someone. Checking for cheating doesn't arise from anything I've claimed, even though my suspicions are pretty clear. Impersonation should be enough to ban, whether claimed by PM or otherwise.

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
14 Feb 11

I think it is clear that the accused is not a Norwegian GM. What might be unclear to admins is that he actually did claim to be someone other than himself due to being unable to legally access the needed evidence. Checking that a PM exists, contains the claimed information and originated with the accused might be the issue due to privacy laws in various places. It is noticeable that he hasn't claimed to be anybody in particular in any public parts of RHP. Clever buggers these fake Norwegian GMs.

c

Romania

Moves
14 Feb 11

Originally posted by Erekose
Come now, you yourself have said how slowly things happen around here. I'm sure something will happen eventually....

Of course, Atticus' methods seem more effective, to my continuing surprise.
Things happen indeed very slowly here. I guess RHP makes too much money from subscriptions so they really don't need new ones. Detecting cheating can be done reasonably in 2-3 days. Detecting a serious impersonation can be done within 5 minutes with a phone call.

I think it is very bad for the reputation of a chess site that they allow some random dude on the internet claim he is a known player. I mean, some might even take this for granted.

c

Romania

Moves
14 Feb 11

Originally posted by Diophantus
I think it is clear that the accused is not a Norwegian GM. What might be unclear to admins is that he actually did claim to be someone other than himself due to being unable to legally access the needed evidence. Checking that a PM exists, contains the claimed information and originated with the accused might be the issue due to privacy laws in various p ...[text shortened]... o be anybody in particular in any public parts of RHP. Clever buggers these fake Norwegian GMs.
Checking PMs should obviously be done when serious offences like this one happen. I mean, PM's are private up to a limit, you cannot use PM's for hate language or illegal activities like drugs.