GM Norblackheart - some news!

GM Norblackheart - some news!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philadelphia

Moves
15 Feb 11

Nobody's considered the possibility that this might be Garry Kasparov impersonating somebody pretending to be Kjetil Lie. That appears to be the simplest explanation. That or Paul Morphy's time machine...

c

Romania

Moves
15 Feb 11

Originally posted by Diophantus
It wouldn't matter if the game mods ruled engine use out or in. On this site they can only recommend a ban, not enact it themselves. I think that's how it works around these parts. Presumably admin have reasons to ban or not in this instance and I can't find anything that will enable us mere mortals to force their hand.
As I told several times, the admins of this site make too much money from subscriptions. They simply don't need any new ones, I imagine that they are busy all day counting the huge amounts of cash from the current paying members.

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
15 Feb 11

Originally posted by cotoi
As I told several times, the admins of this site make too much money from subscriptions. They simply don't need any new ones, I imagine that they are busy all day counting the huge amounts of cash from the current paying members.
Quick back of an envelope calculation based on the number of players listed in the player tables and assuming approximately 50% are subscribers suggests about £200 000 per annum. I have ignored revenue from advertising as that is usually a minor component of website income and will be even less here where the ads are less intrusive and not foisted upon subscribers "by accident". The 50% subscribers figure seems reasonable after a quick scan through the player tables.

£200 000 is not a huge sum when you take into account paying more than one person plus all the costs associated with running a website. Still a comfortable living no doubt although not quite "huge amounts of cash".

M
sorozatgyilkos

leölés ellenfeleim

Moves
16 Feb 11

[b]
--------------------------------------
10 days * 15 hours * 58 minutes
--------------------------------------

e4

Moves
16 Feb 11

ATM he has three games wating to be skulled.

Game 7852567 Game 8149744 Game 8149743

All players take skulls so they will most likely pick them up next time
they log on.

If I was one of the lucky ones with a game left I would hang on
to be last to slick click his skull.

What a miserable wretched existence. Watching with salivating gums at
some completes strangers grade plummet.
Surely I could do something better with my time.
(I'm at work just now, so this better than working).

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
16 Feb 11
1 edit

One nice side-effect of this is that some good guys get showered with 'free' ratings points. Alas, some very bad guys do too 🙁

st johnstone

Moves
16 Feb 11

Originally posted by atticus2
One nice side-effect of this is that some good guys get showered with 'free' ratings points. Alas, some very bad guys do too 🙁
obviously without naming names how many cheats do you think are playing here? i think about 8.

Moves
16 Feb 11

Originally posted by roma45
obviously without naming names how many cheats do you think are playing here? i think about 8.
Do you mean 8 thousand or 8 hundred?

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
16 Feb 11

How many players on the first page? 30 apparently. According to some that is a lower bound to the number of cheats on this site. Another theory is that anyone higher rated than oneself is a cheat, so using me as an example there are currently 408 cheats. I reckon somewhere between 30 and 400 then.

Why do you ask though? This thread isn't about cheating. The guy in question is in trouble for allegedly impersonating a completely unknown Norwegian GM. As far as I can determine the only person who has ever heard of the GM in question is my cricket mad uncle Andrew. Probably something to do with his time in the Foreign Office and dubious shenanigans on Spitzbergen during the 1950s.

Moves
16 Feb 11

Originally posted by cotoi
I don't think money is the issue.

The site admin hate any kind of controversy.

Banning a typical player for cheating = controversy.

Banning a top rated player for cheating = more controversy.

Banning a player who claims to be a GM = extreme controversy.

st johnstone

Moves
16 Feb 11

How many players on the first page? 30 apparently. According to some that is a lower bound to the number of cheats on this site. Another theory is that anyone higher rated than oneself is a cheat, so using me as an example there are currently 408 cheats. I reckon somewhere between 30 and 400 then.

Why do you ask though? This thread isn't about cheating ...[text shortened]... do with his time in the Foreign Office and dubious shenanigans on Spitzbergen during the 1950s.
if you read the 1st post carefully, i think atticus was asking the accused how his games where near perfect i.e engine user so its safe to say after his cover was blown he vanished. i think this is about cheating not pretending to be some unknown gm

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
16 Feb 11

if you read the 1st post carefully, i think atticus was asking the accused how his games where near perfect i.e engine user so its safe to say after his cover was blown he vanished. i think this is about cheating not pretending to be some unknown gm
I don't think so. If anyone was accusing anyone of cheating then this thread would have been removed and likely those doing the accusing would now be suffering a forum ban. I think you will find it is exactly what it appears to be, Atticus provided evidence that GM Nogginthenog is (or has been) impersonating a Norwegian GM. Impersonating another person is not cheating but it is against the TOS.

st johnstone

Moves
16 Feb 11

I don't think so. If anyone was accusing anyone of cheating then this thread would have been removed and likely those doing the accusing would now be suffering a forum ban. I think you will find it is exactly what it appears to be, Atticus provided evidence that GM Nogginthenog is (or has been) impersonating a Norwegian GM. Impersonating another person is not cheating but it is against the TOS.
point taken, i was reading too much between the lines. makes you wonder why he bothered pretnding to be him though?

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
16 Feb 11

point taken, i was reading too much between the lines. makes you wonder why he bothered pretnding to be him though?
Probably because he is Norwegian and not as well known as the other Norwegian GM whose name escapes me at present...

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Feb 11

Originally posted by David Tebb
I don't think money is the issue.

The site admin hate any kind of controversy.

Banning a typical player for cheating = controversy.

Banning a top rated player for cheating = more controversy.

Banning a player who claims to be a GM = extreme controversy.
I think there's a point of diminishing controversy; I can't imagine that any present banning would cause the furor that IM31's did. Most users of the site are now aware that there are engine users here and that they are subject to ban.

Personally, "extreme controversy" is mother's milk to me.