GM Norblackheart - some news!

GM Norblackheart - some news!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

st johnstone

Moves
14 Feb 11

gm norblackheart who is he now?. take it the cheat is back under a new name, first to name him wins a years sub

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
14 Feb 11

Originally posted by cotoi
Checking PMs should obviously be done when serious offences like this one happen. I mean, PM's are private up to a limit, you cannot use PM's for hate language or illegal activities like drugs.
True. Doesn't change the fact that the law is often an ass and abiding by the law can cause difficulties of this sort.

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
14 Feb 11

It's possible, I suppose, that Admin has concluded no violation of the TOS has occurred. The 'nym' GM Norblackheart violates nothing. And while no one seriously disputes this guy has claimed to be GM Kjetil Lie, that in itself is only impersonation if anyone is stupid enough to believe it. At least, this is how I assume Admin might see it.

If so, Admin is missing a fairly big point. What's at stake is the credibility of this playing environment. We know the place is awash with engine-users - every time one lot are scythed down, another horde surge over the horizon. At least Admin and the Mods do their rational best to keep things in check. But if the site also becomes infested with charlatans, blaggers and frauds too, matters fall apart.

I'm not proposing any changes to the careful moderation process, nor to the TOS. But I do think there is a place for community action - that is, where we, the playing community, believe someone is 'guilty' beyond reasonable doubt of violating the terms by which we play together in here. Admin should heed that concern.

In the case in question, I have instigated what might be called a Citizen's Arrest. I've informed Admin in advance of publishing details of my action. A player has been named and faced with incriminating evidence; that player has apparently done a runner. We, the playing community, think the right thing has been done in naming and shaming. Surely Admin must believe that too. So why not act?

e4

Moves
14 Feb 11

Hi Atticus.

No need to contact Andrew, I believe you 100%.

Appears the powers are just going to let him drop right down defaulting
all his games. He is now 2040 something.

Z

Moves
15 Feb 11

So impersonating a GM & also quite probably using an engine to do so (thereby defaming that person) isn't a bannable offence on RHP?

n

Moves
15 Feb 11

Well, in one of the messages from GM Nor. to me, he is stating his identity is the Norwegian GM with ELO 2530. This message is recorded in the message log. The incident was reported (I created a fair play ticket) by me to RHP. I have not received any feedback from the site. Furthermore, I have never ever received any feedback or comments from the site on similair complaints on other players. To me it seems that as long as a player is paying his annual fee he is an asset for RHP. I do agree with Atticus 2 that the community should speek up. But RHP should also do everything possible to get the message out and not "hide behind fair-play tickets".

c

Romania

Moves
15 Feb 11
1 edit

Originally posted by nolaviking
Well, in one of the messages from GM Nor. to me, he is stating his identity is the Norwegian GM with ELO 2530. This message is recorded in the message log. The incident was reported (I created a fair play ticket) by me to RHP. I have not received any feedback from the site. Furthermore, I have never ever received any feedback or comments from the site ...[text shortened]... ld also do everything possible to get the message out and not "hide behind fair-play tickets".
So there must be on of two options:

1. RHP checked indeed that the player in question is indeed who claims he is and therefore Andrew Martin is a liar.

2. RHP doesn't give a shiiit on fair play tickets. Most likely they are not even read.

I guess that the third question about engine assistance was ruled out by the game mods here, right?

Houston, Texas

Moves
15 Feb 11

I wonder if he used an engine to generate his unreal win/loss record.

If so, I wonder how statistically apparent is the engine use, and if the data is strong enough as evidence for a ban (and thus proving impersonation is not needed).

While impersonation may be a way to support a direct ban, that fact may also support that he was attempting to disguise engine use by claiming to be a GM, and that fact combined with statistical evicence could be enough to prove engine use, and to support a ban.

Moreover, it is ok to me if the ban happens in a few months, especially if he is not playing. Years seems kind of long, but I think its seems prudent not to ban people immediately or in an matter of days in most cases, but to take the time to allow for additional feedback and analysis and to make sure the ban is the appropriate action.

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
15 Feb 11

Originally posted by cotoi
So there must be on of two options:

1. RHP checked indeed that the player in question is indeed who claims he is and therefore Andrew Martin is a liar.

2. RHP doesn't give a shiiit on fair play tickets. Most likely they are not even read.

I guess that the third question about engine assistance was ruled out by the game mods here, right?
It wouldn't matter if the game mods ruled engine use out or in. On this site they can only recommend a ban, not enact it themselves. I think that's how it works around these parts. Presumably admin have reasons to ban or not in this instance and I can't find anything that will enable us mere mortals to force their hand.

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
15 Feb 11

Maybe he's hanging about hoping for a refund of his subs? Oi! GM Nogginthenog, get yer arse in here, admit to unnatural practices with an inanimate object and get banned. Then you might get yer dosh back. There, job done.

Moves
15 Feb 11
1 edit

... I do agree with Atticus 2 that the community should speek up. But RHP should also do everything possible to get the message out and not "hide behind fair-play tickets".
I quite agree with this. Russ has said several times that he doesn't like the public character assassination that periodically goes on here with players, in particular those suspected to be engines. Indeed, I sometimes tire of it too, especially the clumsy accusations with poor basis (this isn't one of those, though). One of the attempts to deal with this was the fair play system and a mod-enforced ban on public accusations.

The trouble is, the system doesn't work very well. In particular

1) Its slow
2) Its very opaque. Why some players are banned and others aren't is totally mysterious
3) No response on these tickets is ever received.

It would be nice, for example, if a note about why a particular player has been exonerated was sent out, at least to the person submitting the "Fair Play ticket". I can understand not wanting to say why folks have been banned (if nothing else, there are potential legal consequences to public disparagement), but, for example, explaining an exoneration might help clear things up a little. Or just saying "We're working on it" in some cases.

n

Moves
15 Feb 11

This is my suggestion. RHP should be very clear and communicate to all members what is allowed and not allowed on this site. Rules & policies should be included in a consensus form accepted by all members. Of course this will not stop cheaters but it is important to create a "policy platform". The advantage with correspondence chess, comparing to OTB chess, is that it is allowed to study chess openings and games during the play. To abuse this and let a computer program like Fritz suggest the actual moves does not make sence. It should not be about winning a game or a tournament, it should all be about how to learn more about chess. I love to play on this site, but I prefer to play a person and not a machine 🙂

Finally, Thank you Atticus2 for taking action.

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
15 Feb 11

This is my suggestion. RHP should be very clear and communicate to all members what is allowed and not allowed on this site. Rules & policies should be included in a consensus form accepted by all members. Of course this will not stop cheaters but it is important to create a "policy platform". The advantage with correspondence chess, comparing to OTB ...[text shortened]... prefer to play a person and not a machine 🙂

Finally, Thank you Atticus2 for taking action.
http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/myhome/termsofservice.php

As I recall I had to accept these terms of service when I joined. So the policy is there, it seems we are just a little short on the enforcement. There may well be reasons for that I suppose.

H

Moves
15 Feb 11

Originally posted by Diophantus
It wouldn't matter if the game mods ruled engine use out or in. On this site they can only recommend a ban, not enact it themselves. I think that's how it works around these parts. Presumably admin have reasons to ban or not in this instance and I can't find anything that will enable us mere mortals to force their hand.
Have you ever heard Andrew talk through his last cricket match?
More seriously a fair play ticket is asking the site to note a concern, not to be a judge and jury i- a dispute.

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
15 Feb 11

Originally posted by Habeascorp
Have you ever heard Andrew talk through his last cricket match?
More seriously a fair play ticket is asking the site to note a concern, not to be a judge and jury i- a dispute.
Depends on which Andrew you are talking about. My cousin Andrew doesn't play cricket so I am guessing it's not him. Could be my cricket mad uncle Andrew, although he is bit ancient to be actively playing now. I am told groundsmen frown upon the use of Zimmer frames and such like on the hallowed turf.