1. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:10
    Having played this person a few times I must say I never suspected a thing.

Without accusing the moderators of anything would it be possible to see some evidence?

Its not that I think they have got it wrong but as someone who plays regular OTB and RHP chess I can't see anything in any of my games (and I have gone back to look) that might make me think "wow this guy is cheating!!"
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:20

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:272 edits
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Have a look at a few of his early games on the site:

Game 470644
    Game 464816
    Game 491449

His graph only shows last 300 games, if it showed the whole history the 'improvement' would be shown as the dodge fest it really is.
    Of course this is not proof in itself but I'm sure the game moderators will have used the usual method o the time this has taken. People have been raising there suspicions about him since 2004.
    Those are the games of a beginner (and my favorite a Grob but he can't play it correctly).

But beginners can improve rapidly so it would be interesting to see his progression from this elementary chess to his "current" level. I would expect to see a gradual improvement as he climbed the rankings. Of course his opening could improve dramatically, quickly as he started using books and databases but you would not expect a quantum leap in performance on middle game tactics and end game.

He did lose a lot of games including one to our top player Game 2252287 mind you his exchange of his rooks for queen looks like a typical computer move as the strength of the 2 rooks down that open b file looks decisive and I would have expected most strong players to avoid
  4. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:31
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Have a look at a few of his early games on the site:

Game 470644
    Game 464816
    Game 491449

His graph only shows last 300 games, if it showed the whole history the 'improvement' would be shown as the dodge fest it really is.
    Of course this is not proof in itself but I'm sure the game moderators will have used the usual method o ...[text shortened]... the time this has taken. People have been raising there suspicions about him since 2004.
    Looked at those games. He was a Queen-out merchant! Always a bad sign.

I've played him, found him rude and unhelpful so good riddance I say
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:311 edit

6. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:31
    I see your points!

BUT

I joined the site having not played chess for 15 years. Literally. Now being employed and having cash I have bought a lot of books (eg amateurs mind) that I never would have been able to buy as a junior.

As such I would hate for people to look at my early games on the side and assume I'm cheating just because I studied and improved.

Thats why I think, perhaps, the publication of a little bit of evidence would be a good idea. I suppose it would "demystify" the whole process.
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:33
    Originally posted by malinga
    Looked at those games. He was a Queen-out merchant! Always a bad sign.

I've played him, found him rude and unhelpful so good riddance I say
    He would be unhelpful if using an engine as he would not know anything.
  8. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:35
    I think also one thing that does make me a little suspicious is that he rarely posted in the forums.

I dont want people assuming that im suggesting anyone who doesnt is automatically a cheat but to be THAT good and not the slightest bit interested in imparting advice, responses etc...makes me wonder!

I just cant help myself i suppose. I have to open my big gob!!!
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:35
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Those are the games of a beginner (and my favorite a Grob but he can't play it correctly).

But beginners can improve rapidly so it would be interesting to see his progression from this elementary chess to his "current" level.
    [/i][/b]
    The complete beginner games were from early 2004. I doubt if anyone could have improved that much in 2 1/2 years. His game against Scott is a weird one!
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:37
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    The complete beginner games were from early 2004. I doubt if anyone could have improved that much in 2 1/2 years. His game against Scott is a weird one!
    It is isn't it? Some very strange moves that Scott capitalised on that just don't seem right. I will ask Scott about it.
  11. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:38
    Actually it makes very good sense. Hes crap IRL and was cheating.

i suppose we have our evidence really dont we?
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:42
    Originally posted by Tengu
    I think also one thing that does make me a little suspicious is that he rarely posted in the forums.

I dont want people assuming that im suggesting anyone who doesnt is automatically a cheat but to be THAT good and not the slightest bit interested in imparting advice, responses etc...makes me wonder!

I just cant help myself i suppose. I have to open my big gob!!!
    No I agree. I think genuinely good players or even moderate club players in the 1800-2000 category do try and help, not just in the forums but in the games as well. There is no harm once the damage is done imparting a little friendly advice which most of us appreciate.

Even 1500 rated players here can often discuss games sensibly so to be rated 2000+ and not willing or able is unusual.
  13. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:43

14. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:44
    Yeah its so true. At my club we are always going over games etc..

It helps you improve and gives you a different perspective on things. I consider it the most valuable part of the game!!
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:46
    Mind you, some regular forum posters have been banned - Jean Hebert (apparently not the real one!) and Mary Ann for instance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree