GuaravV Banned!!

GuaravV Banned!!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

Argentina

Moves
03 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by DeepThought
Ha, yes, I just went through it - although just is an understatement I had to download 230 odd Mbytes of tablebase files to do so - and he chose the moves which gave checkmate quickest all the way through...
Sorry but I can't understand your last sentence.

- and he chose the moves which gave checkmate quickest all the way through...

Is it abnormal? How do you play "by hand" such endgames?
A honest question, not related to cheating. I'll wait a honest answer too.

- J

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
04 Nov 06

Originally posted by CrazyLilTing

[b] - and he chose the moves which gave checkmate quickest all the way through...

- J[/b]
You follow a general plan. If you play it right it will lead to checkmate but likely it won't play the shortest move every single time.

There might be a move that will mate in 27 but you play one that mates in 29. Doesn't really make a difference unless you are in danger of hitting the 50 move mark.

g

Moves
04 Nov 06

Originally posted by arrakis
In order to play at ICC you have to use their computer program called Blitzln, which can tell when you switch from their program to another program. A friend of mine who plays at this site got "caught" by ICC's program cause he was doing just that - had Fritz open while playing in a game at the same time.

My friend says he was not using Fritz to cheat, b ...[text shortened]... ed? I mean, you can't sit down to play someone in a tournament and open up a chess book.
I wonder if such a thing would happen for web pages. At times I have up to eight pages up when I am researching and playing some moves. At this time I have Windows Task Manager, AnandTech, and Red Hot Pawn up.

g
NSB

Ohio

Moves
04 Nov 06

i played him many times and didn't suspect anything. but looking at games it look quite suspicous

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
04 Nov 06

Originally posted by CrazyLilTing

[b] - and he chose the moves which gave checkmate quickest all the way through...

- J[/b]
End game table bases (EGTB) give a list of moves and the number of moves to checkmate for each move. In some cases it's going to be obvious which move gets you to checkmate fastest, but in the case of K+Q v K+R+P in an initial position where the check mate is 35 moves away, you have to get each move exactly right or the checkmate moves further away.

For example:

White has mate in 3 with 1. Ng4 Kg8 2. Nh6+ Kh8 3. Bf6#. This is what an EGTB would give.
White misses that one and instead sees: 1. Nd7 Kg8 2. Bf8 Kh8 3. Bg7+ Kg8 4. Nf6#. This is what a human might play. 1. Nd7 is still winning, but the checkmate moves 1 move further into the future.

In the above example it's quite likely a human would find the mate in 3, and execute the checkmate as efficiently as an EGTB but in the Ironman game that No1 posted he was getting the best (in the sense of most efficient) move each time, the position went into the K+Q vs K+R+P tablebase when the fastest checkmate with perfect play by both side was 38 moves in the future. A human just isn't going to be that efficient, the branching factor is too high for a human to work it out that exactly.

b

Moves
04 Nov 06

My three completed games against him were all drawn, but in very different manners.

Game 1599673 was an extraordinary game which I've written about on a previous thread, where he had a completely won position but went astray after misjudging the threat posed by my passed pawn.

Game 2472100 was odd because, as White, he offered the draw out of the blue in an interesting position just coming out of the opening (I had been following the game Popovic - Timman Sarajevo 1984 which actually ended up a win for white).

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
04 Nov 06

wow. didn't even think about him using an engine, although I did wonder why he stranded his queen uselessly on the queenside here:
Game 2491111

so what now? I have two games against him waiting for my move. make the moves and wait for the timeout?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
04 Nov 06

Originally posted by wormwood
wow. didn't even think about him using an engine, although I did wonder why he stranded his queen uselessly on the queenside here:
Game 2491111

so what now? I have two games against him waiting for my move. make the moves and wait for the timeout?
Those tactics are elementary and totally transparent. Not what you would expect from a 2200 player and much like his early games here.

Probably he was making some moves himself when he felt the position warranted it and using an engine the rest of the time. These tactics seem so basic they cannot even be excused as a momentary lapse that we all have.

p

Moves
04 Nov 06

S

Moves
04 Nov 06
1 edit

Hi everybody.
For the first time I have "cheated", because I have created a 2nd account just to post on this thread because nobody reply to my email. But don't worry, I won't use it to play.

here is the copy of the email I have sent today:
I have just read all the messages about me on the RHP forum. I really don’t now what to say. Now everybody is convinced that I am a cheater. I am really sad and I can do nothing about it. I have tried to create another account so that I can send a message to all my friends on RHP, but I can’t (my email is blocked). I see no solutions for me now, because I love playing chess, I love RHP and I’m stuck!!! Just because some people who have been playing for several years don’t like to lose against a new player. That makes me sick. And, please, can you explain to me what reward can I have by playing chess with an engine? I really don’t see the point.
If someone wants to test me, I live close to Paris and I’m ready to meet other RHP members to “validate” my level.
I feel like in a psycho world, where I would be the only one to know I’m not crazy. And I can do nothing… just take my pills…
Please, ask my friends (we work in the same company) “TaGaDa”, “Lenoirdevinci”, “deesse1”, “bastes2”, “Dadoo” and “marcb0872” and also my dad “marlin bleu”; They know me better than other RHP users, they saw me everyday in front of my computer playing chess, they know that I’m not using any chess engine and that I am not a cheater.
I am stunned to see that some people can not admit that progress is possible when one plays for so many hours. How can it be that it hurts their ego so much to see someone becoming good?
I have spend around 5 hours everyday on RHP since I registered, how stupid of me would have been to spend so much time just to play with an engine, believe me, I am 32 years old, I have a wife and a 3 months old daughter, I have other things to do in my life.
So please, I’m asking you, tell me what solutions I have here:
- to consider that I will never play on RHP again?
- People will admit that I’m not a cheater, and my name will be cleaned and I will be able to play my current games?
- I will have to start all over again with a new account?

Do not live me without an answer. Please.

Denis (Stroubidoul)

now to answer some users:

@Marinkatomb: I don't know you, I think we never played together.
when you say:
Originally posted by Marinkatomb
It's pretty easy really, just find games like this...Game 2126210
I just want to let you know that is it not a proof of anything. It was one of my first games! My rating was not 2000 at that time!

@stevetodd
Originally posted by stevetodd
yeah that seems fairly blatant, if you watched it otb, you would never think the winner was an 800 player (against a >2000 player)
it is to bad that we can only see the actual rating and not the one at the time of the game. I was 1337 and he was 1069

@Phlabibit

Originally posted by Phlabibit
View their first games (low graph) and watch them pile the wins. There is no magic chess pill.

Speculation on my part... but I'm sure those first games are not master level.

P-

I was a beginner! And I'm not claiming to be a master!

@Sicilian Smaug:

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug

These were my first games against Stroubidal so never lost to him before. I got suspicious early on in our tournamount games when he sent a good luck message with 3 😉 winks, then when I said good luck back he replied with some more winks - This prompted me to look at his games and then report him, so his winking wasn't so clever 😉

My winking was not to be clever, but to be nice! that's it! And if you had anything to say, why didn' you just tell me so instead of creating this mess.... "Oh, This guy is progressing very fast??? he must be a cheater!!! I'm going to report him!!!" That a very nice spirit! congratulations!

@Chris
Originally posted by Chris
When a subscriber is banned, we send them an email notifying them of the reasons. They are unable to log into the site. We do not resign all their games immediately and so they have an opportunity to put their case if they have one.

-Chris

Believe me, I'm trying. But no one has answered my emails.

And to all who really know me:
Don't believe every thing you read. Just trust your instict 😉

Stroubidoul

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
04 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Stroubidoul2
... if you had anything to say, why didn' you just tell me so instead of creating this mess.... "Oh, This guy is progressing very fast??? he must be a cheater!!! I'm going to report him!!!" That a very nice spirit! congratulations!
your rating, however fast or high it rises, is no proof of using an engine. the proof comes from matching engines in statistically decisive degree over a number of games. grandmasters can't hit that degree consistently, so why should anybody believe a lesser player could?

every time an engine user gets caught, he fiercely denies ever using one. that reminds me of athletes getting caught using steroids, they almost never admit to it either. and when I was little kid getting caught up with stuff, I never admitted to anything if I thought there was a hypothetical possibility of the accusation (well, mom's opinion) not holding. no matter how blatantly obvious it was, I kept trying to convince her. I guess that's the way human mind works.

yea, mom didn't believe me either.

SS

Moves
04 Nov 06

S

Moves
04 Nov 06

Originally posted by wormwood
your rating, however fast or high it rises, is no proof of using an engine. the proof comes from matching engines in statistically decisive degree over a number of games. grandmasters can't hit that degree consistently, so why should anybody believe a lesser player could?

every time an engine user gets caught, he fiercely denies ever using one. th ...[text shortened]... convince her. I guess that's the way human mind works.

yea, mom didn't believe me either.
See... I can not change the way you think...

"No... believe me... I'm not crazy".....
"Of course you're not... just take your pills..."

pff......

S

Moves
04 Nov 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
Why didn't I tell you about my concerns? Because I didn't want to be drawn into an argument with you during our games about whether you were cheating or not. The easiest and most appropiate way was for me to message the moderation team and let them analyse your games... And you failed the test.
I will be glad to see those tests

But I don't understand your way of thinking. Why be so suspicious about your oppenents? Or maybe it was just with me?

SS

Moves
04 Nov 06
1 edit