Interesting Chess Quotes

Interesting Chess Quotes

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Oct 11

Interesting Chess Quotes

"You need not play well, just help your opponent to play badly." -Genrikh Chepukaitis. “The tactician must know what to do whenever something needs doing; the strategist must know what to do when nothing needs doing” Tartakover. “Only the player with the initiative has the right to attack” -Wilhelm Steinitz.

m

In attack

Moves
06 Oct 11

I like this one: “The winner of the game is the player who makes the next-to-last mistake” - Savielly Tartakover

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
07 Oct 11

“I have added these principles to the law: get the Knights
into action before both Bishops are developed” ~Emanuel Lasker.

So true!!

-m.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
07 Oct 11

“If your opponent offers you a draw, try to work out why he thinks he's worse off.”

~ Nigel Short.

t

bedlam

Moves
07 Oct 11

-If you can't make a good move, make a confusing move
-Don't eat beans before a match

Bill Wall

rc

Moves
07 Oct 11

When the irresistible tactician meets the immovable strategist, the strategist better be wearing a seat belt.

V

Moves
07 Oct 11

Originally posted by torten
-If you can't make a good move, make a confusing move
-Don't eat beans before a match

Bill Wall
I practically live by the first rule here!

Why make a move that your opponent expects?

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
07 Oct 11
1 edit

Maybe this isn't a great fit for the thread, but it has stayed with me forever...

I didn't start playing rated chess until I was in college. In one of my very first tournaments I was sitting in the round at the board, and it was extremely quiet, even for a chess tournament.

All of a sudden one of my new chess friends named Floyd Manzo (he was in his 40's at the time) puts his hands up in the air as though he is seeking divine intervention, and yells "Oh F--- me!" very loudly after dropping his queen.

For a split second there was utter silence, and then the whole tournament hall erupted in laughter!

To this day, sometimes I will be in the middle of a round, and I will suddenly sit up, think of Floyd, and smile!

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
08 Oct 11

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
Maybe this isn't a great fit for the thread, but it has stayed with me forever...

I didn't start playing rated chess until I was in college. In one of my very first tournaments I was sitting in the round at the board, and it was extremely quiet, even for a chess tournament.

All of a sudden one of my new chess friends named Floyd Manzo (he was in ...[text shortened]... I will be in the middle of a round, and I will suddenly sit up, think of Floyd, and smile!
ha!

I have seen the inverse where a king was thrown off the board after a similar blunder.

I think of that when I walk by boards where someone is about to drop a Queen.

mc
probally the best

Moves
08 Oct 11

“Chess is a cold bath for the mind”
(Sir John Simon)

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
08 Oct 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
When the irresistible tactician meets the immovable strategist, the strategist better be wearing a seat belt.
"You Colle playing, rabbit breeding, skirt wearing FREAK!!" ChessPraxis

S

Moves
08 Oct 11

e4. I win.

Bobby Fischer

t

bedlam

Moves
08 Oct 11

Interviewer "Why did you never have a coach?"
Fischer "Why would I give chess lessons?"

Best retort ever 🙂

rc

Moves
08 Oct 11

Best retort ever 🙂
Lol, 'i am the best, the whole world knows i am the best, i dont need a match to prove it' R J Fischer, awesome.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
08 Oct 11

Best retort ever 🙂
What does his having a coach have to do with his being a coach?