1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    04 May '07 08:01
    Originally posted by RahimK
    You might have to but I don't.

If you had a club in your city and it was afforable wouldn't you rather play in person then online?

I prefer in person. Much funner and you can hang out with other people and chat.

How about the NHL and NBA playoffs, eh?
    Both have thereplace.

OTB I could not possibly play 500 games in a year and study the openings and tactics the way I can on-line.

Also I am experiencing endings that I have only ever learnt in theory and never get to OTB.

So I am learning loads and that improves my OTB play (my sole objective of being here really). Next year I will switch to some new openings.
  2. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '07 08:21
    Originally posted by z00t
    The King's Gambit and the Grob Busted? Yes. A certain Bobby Fischer announced in the summer of 1961 exactly that the King's Gambit was busted. The article and the 1961 article are here -> http://www.chesscafe.com/text/bust.txt

As to how the grob was busted I'm tired and will post that tomorrow. Those of you newbies who have to face the grob/king's gambit can now sleep well at night.
    It depends on where you play these openings...
    If you stun an opponent by playing them in an OTB tournament chances are that they will not be able to come up with the best moves to refute those lines. On the other hand, if you play these heavily analyzed lines here then you aren't really playing your opponent - you are playing their database!
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    04 May '07 08:262 edits
    Originally posted by Arrakis
    It depends on where you play these openings...
    If you stun an opponent by playing them in an OTB tournament chances are that they will not be able to come up with the best moves to refute those lines. On the other hand, if you play these heavily analyzed lines here then you aren't really playing your opponent - you are playing their database!
    It is very easy to get them out of their DB early.

For example in the Grob Tournament I responded 1. ... Nh3 in all my games taking most people out of any DB PDQ. As white there are also plenty of options to get out of the DB quite early.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    04 May '07 23:17
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Try this one

http://www.farehamchess.org.uk/gameview.php?view=27
    Damn!

You are D. Elliott correct?
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    04 May '07 23:22
    Both have thereplace.

OTB I could not possibly play 500 games in a year and study the openings and tactics the way I can on-line.

Also I am experiencing endings that I have only ever learnt in theory and never get to OTB.

So I am learning loads and that improves my OTB play (my sole objective of being here really). Next year I will switch to some new openings.
    I can get close to 500🙂

8 games a week, 30 min each x 4 weeks = 32.

Plus the monthly tournament games every thursday Game in 110min + 30 seconds inc., 4 games per month for $3.

Thus 36 games a month x 12 months = 432.

Plus there are the standard weekend tournaments 5 games, mostly once a month.

But excluding those, 432 games for $3x12= 36 + $20 club fee = $56.

Woah! 🙂

For me, I prefer OTB over Online any day. That's why I hate those long games which last months and months. Thus, I play a few quick games on here and mainly concentrate on OTB.

To each, his own 🙂
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    05 May '07 18:46
    8 games a week, 30 min each x 4 weeks = 32.
    Those sort of time limits aren't conducive to learning and improving at chess and I discount them totally.

My rating at 30 minute Rapidplay is 2075 OTB but at full length games (36 moves in 60 minutes with 15 minutes to finish) it is only 1875 proving that the ability to think quickly does not translate into improved performance in full length games. For that I need RHP.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 May '07 22:11
    Those sort of time limits aren't conducive to learning and improving at chess and I discount them totally.

My rating at 30 minute Rapidplay is 2075 OTB but at full length games (36 moves in 60 minutes with 15 minutes to finish) it is only 1875 proving that the ability to think quickly does not translate into improved performance in full length games. For that I need RHP.
    Well this is what I do.

I experiment with different openings and ideas during the 30 min games and then the ones I like I spend more time on them and play them in the rated 2 hour games.

Rhp I just play to kill time and mostly play against people I don't see at the club anymore.

I play better chess at the longer time controls. Your full length game timer is still pretty quick in my opinion. I love our Game in 120 minutes + 30 sec increment. 1889 rating for me in that.

I read some articles that Fide was changing it's timers to 60' +15" or something for some of the games. Horrible.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 May '07 23:29
    Well this is what I do.

I experiment with different openings and ideas during the 30 min games and then the ones I like I spend more time on them and play them in the rated 2 hour games.

Rhp I just play to kill time and mostly play against people I don't see at the club anymore.

I play better chess at the longer time controls. Your full length game ...[text shortened]... that Fide was changing it's timers to 60' +15" or something for some of the games. Horrible.
    It might sound horrible - but to people thinking about getting started in chess it probably sounds great.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 May '07 01:021 edit
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    It might sound horrible - but to people thinking about getting started in chess it probably sounds great.
    well, I think it's ridiculous that they're currently having 4-6 hour games, mostly ending into a draw. 60 + 15 sounds like an improvement to me.
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 May '07 01:07
    Originally posted by wormwood
    well, I think it's ridiculous that they're currently having 4-6 hour games, mostly ending into a draw. 60 + 15 sounds like an improvement to me.
    TBH, I think it should be 45 - people get bored, that's why chess isn't gaining much popularity.
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    06 May '07 05:13
    Originally posted by wormwood
    My problem with that timer is that they would use that for a lot of qualifing matches by the actual match would be regulation timer.

It's hard switching from one timer to another.

I know they changed some stuff and maybe started a new rating for the new time controls but if they want to use the quick timers for qualifying matches then they should use the exact same timers in the world championship matches.

See how the player like that! I doubt Kramnik would be happy.
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    06 May '07 08:10
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    TBH, I think it should be 45 - people get bored, that's why chess isn't gaining much popularity.
    The standard of chess won't improve with faster time controls and there will probably be a new breed of, younger, players who are the top rated players at faster games but it certainly creates more interest, particularly for spectators.

Take cricket as a comparable example. The interset in one day games is far greater than that in 5 day tests which frequently end in meaningless draws. 5 day tests should be banned as should "infinite" length chess games. A time control such as 30 moves in 1 hour, 30 in a second hour then 15 minutes to complete sounds great to me. We have a total of 2.5 hours per game in our league (7.30 to 10.00) because that is all the time available. As I said earlier the chess is not as good but blunders are a great leveller and create more exciting games.

... but you still need time to work on those openings properly and to study and improve tactics which is where the slower times of internet chess really help as my rating here is proving.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 May '07 12:00
    My problem with that timer is that they would use that for a lot of qualifing matches by the actual match would be regulation timer.

It's hard switching from one timer to another.

I know they changed some stuff and maybe started a new rating for the new time controls but if they want to use the quick timers for qualifying matches then they should use t ...[text shortened]... he world championship matches.

See how the player like that! I doubt Kramnik would be happy.
    yea, that doesn't sound very good. like 100m dash qualifications for a 200m run.

then again, I think some radical changes are necessary to make chess more spectator friendly. namely much shorter time controls. that will of course shake the top a bit, the best now would still be very good, but not necessarily the best. they'd have to reasses their skills, and work to improve whatever aspect they'd be doing worse than the new top players.

of course, the current elite would cry aloud for their lost status, like the primadonnas they've shown themselves to be. but that's a really petty reason for not letting the game to evolve into a more interesting and practical form. no individual interests should come before that goal. the rules have been changed many times before, people just need to get on the changing times and requirements.

shorter time controls = less accurate playing = less draws.

sounds like a lot more exciting game to me. no draws yet in the kramnik vs. aronian rapid match for example.
  14. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    08 May '07 18:063 edits
    My opponent resigned in theoretical playable position 😀

[Event "RHP Blitz rated"]
    [Site "www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2007.5.8"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Korch"]
    [Black "najdorfslayer"]
    [Result "1-0"]

1. e2-e4 e7-e5 2. f2-f4 e5xf4 3. Ng1-f3 g7-g5 4. h2-h4 g5-g4 5. Nf3-e5 Ng8-f6 6. Ne5xg4 Nf6xe4 7. d2-d3 Ne4-g3 8. Bc1xf4 Ng3xh1 9. Qd1-e2 Qd8-e7 10. Ng4-f6 Ke8-d8 11. Bf4xc7 Kd8xc7 12. Nf6-d5 1-0
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 May '07 18:06
    Some dude has listed a few variants of the so called grob here -

http://nestore.mysteria.cz/analyses.htm

Wikipedia rightly calls it an unconventional chess opening where White immediately moves the king knight's pawn two squares ahead: 1.g4.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grob's_Attack

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree