1. A galaxy far away
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 21:00
    In order to branch out the ol' opening repitoire, I recently got a book from the library about this opening.

It seems quite solid, and my first tests on playchess have been fairly promising, but the book is quite a few years old and I havent heard much about the KIA, so i was hoping to get some opinions on its validity/strength?

thanks
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 21:01
    Originally posted by darkbishop28
    In order to branch out the ol' opening repitoire, I recently got a book from the library about this opening.

It seems quite solid, and my first tests on playchess have been fairly promising, but the book is quite a few years old and I havent heard much about the KIA, so i was hoping to get some opinions on its validity/strength?

thanks
    It was refuted last week.
  3. A galaxy far away
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 21:14
    Damn the fast moving world of opening theory!
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 21:16
    Damn the fast moving world of opening theory!
    /Joke.
  5. A galaxy far away
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 21:18
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    /Joke.
    Yet not an especially good answer
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 21:23
    Yet not an especially good answer
    It's valid and sort of strong.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 22:28

thanks
    King's Indian Attack theory doesn't really change all that much, so it really doesn't matter how old the book is. White gets a solid setup, but if Black knows his stuff he can probably equalize.

GM Yasser Seirawan recommends the King's Indian Attack in his book, "Winning Chess Openings."

It's a very good "low-maintainence" opening if you don't mind not having an opening advantage with the White pieces.
  8. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 00:54
    the KIA is nice for throwing off the Carokann and French players who expect 2. d4, and the KIA lets you cut down on opening theory (which gives me more time to study Sicilian theory!)

I meet the CaroKann and French with d3 exclusively and have tried the KIA against 1. ...e5 as well. I've been thinking of using it against Alekhine's Defense as well.

oh yea, and I also use the KIA against 2. ...e6 Sicilians players.
  9. Standard memberrotk
    Orc slayer
    Gondor
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 14:48
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    the KIA is nice for throwing off the Carokann and French players who expect 2. d4, and the KIA lets you cut down on opening theory (which gives me more time to study Sicilian theory!)

I meet the CaroKann and French with d3 exclusively and have tried the KIA against 1. ...e5 as well. I've been thinking of using it against Alekhine's Defense as well.

oh yea, and I also use the KIA against 2. ...e6 Sicilians players.
    I have too agree, although not against the caro-kann.
  10. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 14:54
    I play the KIA and English a lot as White. They allow white to dictate the opening, instead of the numerous responses to d4 & e4. Although I do still love the Ruy Lopez.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 00:32
    Originally posted by rotk
    I have too agree, although not against the caro-kann.
    i use it because c6 players don't expect 2. d3, and haven't found a mainline carokann variation that I like.
  12. Standard memberrotk
    Orc slayer
    Gondor
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 16:38
    two words, panov attack!
  13. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 18:01
    Isn't that in the Ruy Lopez? (The Panov), or is it Papov?
  14. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 19:24
    panov-botnivik attack is for white against the carro-cann and I reccomend it as well

I don't usually play the KIA but I do sometimes play the KID (as black) and I think its pretty fun but have only used it 3 or 4 times because the basic set-up is easy to achieve without knowing much theory on the opening itself just basic chess theory will usually get you along.
  15. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 03:50
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    panov-botnivik attack is for white against the carro-cann and I reccomend it as well

I don't usually play the KIA but I do sometimes play the KID (as black) and I think its pretty fun but have only used it 3 or 4 times because the basic set-up is easy to achieve without knowing much theory on the opening itself just basic chess theory will usually get you along.
    yeah the KIA is a solid opening, but i think one will grow bored of playing it because there is no variety in the middlegame for white.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree