1. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 04:01
    Originally posted by darkbishop28
    In order to branch out the ol' opening repitoire, I recently got a book from the library about this opening.

It seems quite solid, and my first tests on playchess have been fairly promising, but the book is quite a few years old and I havent heard much about the KIA, so i was hoping to get some opinions on its validity/strength?

thanks
    It is also good if you are playing an impatient player. If you look in thier history and see that they are really agressive they may tend to try and rush your setup early. Since you castled very early and developed very compact the trades and lack of developement on your opponent's part can only be good.

Becareful that you don't get too cramped. Make your key pawn pushes when you get the opportunity. I have accidently gotten my knight trapped a few times.
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 04:03
    Originally posted by briancron
    It is also good if you are playing an impatient player. If you look in thier history and see that they are really agressive they may tend to try and rush your setup early. Since you castled very early and developed very compact the trades and lack of developement on your opponent's part can only be good.

Becareful that you don't get too cramped. Make ...[text shortened]... pushes when you get the opportunity. I have accidently gotten my knight trapped a few times.
    Hm, I might have to use this as a blitz backup, seems great for blitz - you can bust out the first 7-10 moves safely against basically anything, and you don't even need to know theory.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 04:35
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    yeah the KIA is a solid opening, but i think one will grow bored of playing it because there is no variety in the middlegame for white.
    Yeah I think that's a pretty fair argument too.

One thing to note is that Fischer used it A LOT in his very early years, but eventually switched over to the Ruy Lopez, which I tend to start playing more and more often over the next few months.

I just don't think it's a best first choice opening for a few reasons, it doesn't offer much variety, which is great for learning, it doesn't offer white any advantage (only equality), and it's just not as fun as the KG, or Ruy Lopez. 😛
  4. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 04:392 edits
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Yeah I think that's a pretty fair argument too.

One thing to note is that Fischer used it A LOT in his very early years, but eventually switched over to the Ruy Lopez, which I tend to start playing more and more often over the next few months.

I just don't think it's a best first choice opening for a few reasons, it doesn't offer much variety, which white any advantage (only equality), and it's just not as fun as the KG, or Ruy Lopez. 😛
    I agree... sort of

I started playing this opening after I read "Winning Chess Openings" (someone mentioned that this is the recommended opening in the book in this thread)

It is a perfect opening for new players to learn to develope first, then attack. Plus it is a very strategic opening. Instead of looking only for tactics you look for weak squares, backward/isolated pawns etc.. and building up pressure.

By the time you are bored with this opening you are ready for wild chess again, I think.
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 23:431 edit
    i'm the opposite, I went from the wilder King's Gambit to the KIA

when I first started with the KIA, I played it with 1. Nf3 and would set it up against anything. I only play 1. e4 now (that I've gotten the feel for the system) and use the KIA for stuff that isn't 1. ...d5 or 1. ...e5

though now i'm in a bind as to which opening to go with after 1. e4 e5. I still have the KG since it's the first thing I went with, but haven't used it at all in my last 2 tournaments.

right now i'm basically just test driving everything again, from the KG to the KIA, Giouco Piano (won with it in my last tourny), and Lopez Exchange (drew with it in my last tourny)
  6. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 23:48
    I might look this up again.
  7. warum?
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 00:13
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    I play the KIA and English a lot as White. They allow white to dictate the opening, instead of the numerous responses to d4 & e4. Although I do still love the Ruy Lopez.
    I would agree (to a certain point) with you on the English, but not so sure about the KIA-- aka 'the imploder" -- Black can choose from a massive array of set ups and it seems White has to have a plan or improvise quickly to meet them (OTB play). The "KID with an extra tempo" doesn't seem to be the advantage that you would think it would be.

Instead of the KIA, why not just take up one of the QP openings without c4 (Colle, London, etc.)... they are somewhat passive, but can contain some sting if treated with apathy. Plus, they aren't as complex as the KIA, which could gain time on the clock.
  8. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 00:17
    Originally posted by Crushing Day
    I would agree (to a certain point) with you on the English, but not so sure about the KIA-- aka 'the imploder" -- Black can choose from a massive array of set ups and it seems White has to have a plan or improvise quickly to meet them (OTB play). The "KID with an extra tempo" doesn't seem to be the advantage that you would think it would be.

Instea ...[text shortened]... with apathy. Plus, they aren't as complex as the KIA, which could gain time on the clock.
    if I were to use the Colle and Reversed London System (aka Boring Opening, no seriously it is) then I'd might as well be a 1. d4 player.

as you play the KIA a bunch, you'll find that black's setups are generally always the same 3-4
  9. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 00:281 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 00:31
    Originally posted by YUG0slav

when I first started with the KIA, I played it with 1. Nf3 and would set it up against anything. I only play 1. e4 now (that I've gotten the feel for the system) and use the KIA for stuff that isn't 1. ...d5 or 1. ...e5

though now i'm in a bind as to which opening to go with after 1. e ...[text shortened]... ano (won with it in my last tourny), and Lopez Exchange (drew with it in my last tourny)
    You should go down the gucio piano route but play the Evans Gambit

I just joined ROTK's Evans Gambit clan so I could practice and learn this opening.

Clan 24684 [/shameless plug]

------------

As far as the benefits of the KIA over a d4 opening.

The reason this is a good system for a new player is that he is playing other new players most times.

The KIA allows white to develop and castle without worrying too much what black is up to... You could run into 1..., c5 or e5 against d4 and get distracted from your development.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 00:50
    Originally posted by briancron
    You should go down the gucio piano route but play the Evans Gambit

I just joined ROTK's Evans Gambit clan so I could practice and learn this opening.

Clan 24684 [/shameless plug]

------------

As far as the benefits of the KIA over a d4 opening.

The reason this is a good system for a new player is that he is playing other new players ...[text shortened]... p to... You could run into 1..., c5 or e5 against d4 and get distracted from your development.
    sorry, no Gambits for me, if I wanted that, I'd stick with the KG
  12. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 01:29
    sorry, no Gambits for me, if I wanted that, I'd stick with the KG
    Clan 24529

That sounds good too!!!

Thanks for the segway so I could shamelessly plug my other clan!!!

el oh el
  13. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 02:19
    Why is the horse called an Indian?
  14. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 03:30
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    Why is the horse called an Indian?
    thanks for not posting random crap 😕
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 03:52

though now i'm in a bind as to which opening to go with after 1. e ...[text shortened]... ano (won with it in my last tourny), and Lopez Exchange (drew with it in my last tourny)
    Hey Yugo, if I might make a suggestion. The Ruy is great (especially when you have KG knowledge too!) but the Exchange isn't, imo, the best anti-mainline. In the few games I played I used the 8.a4 anti-Marshall and if they played mainline I used 9.d4. Give those variations a look, they're nice. Then again, if you like the Exchange you may find it's better for you than my suggestions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree