1. Joined
    12 Oct '09
    Moves
    24 Sep '12 13:44
    I'm thinking RHP better have a way to claim draws in such positions. 🙂[/b]
    I would suggest that the only way that RHP could deal with this is through the time controls. They would have to change the rules of chess to allow a claim draw in this position
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Sep '12 13:54
    Originally posted by deenny
    I would suggest that the only way that RHP could deal with this is through the time controls. They would have to change the rules of chess to allow a claim draw in this position
    There is such a thing as Insufficient Losing Chances under USCF rules. A reasonably knowledgeable Tournament Director could grant the obvious draw rather than hold up the tournament for 6 years.

I don't remember how the old postal chess handled this. Some games were adjudicated, but I'm not sure if you could force that during an ongoing game. I want to say that there was a certain maximum time the game could take, but my memory of those rules has faded.
  3. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    25 Sep '12 18:47
    This discussion has tweaked my conscience.

I was VERY GUILTY of bad manners in one 30 min OTB game a couple of years back against a player called N Ralphs. My opponent regularly got into time trouble and was close to a forced win but down on time. My moves and calculation took into account how far he would have to move his pieces and therefore waste time. I won on time but I still have a guilty conscience.

A belated sorry to Nigel..!
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    25 Sep '12 18:58
    Originally posted by kingshill

I was VERY GUILTY of bad manners in one 30 min OTB game a couple of years back against a player called N Ralphs. My opponent regularly got into time trouble and was close to a forced win but down on time. My moves and calculation took into account how far he would have to move his pieces and therefore waste time. I won on time but I still have a guilty conscience.

You mean - you made white play Qh8xQa1 with the clock on his right, or better yet, promote/capture something on a8? You devious bastard. 🙂
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    25 Sep '12 19:00

Sometimes I'll capture any captures I can when my opponent is in time trouble, because it takes more time to recapture than to move. It's all part of the game IMO.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    25 Sep '12 19:16
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Sometimes I'll capture any captures I can when my opponent is in time trouble, because it takes more time to recapture than to move. It's all part of the game IMO.
    I've seen a similar tactic in online blitz: the shock move. Something like:

Black has to take the Q, and he usually wastes a critical second or two deciding which piece should capture. The move is usually timed so that those seconds are Black's last.
  7. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    25 Sep '12 19:441 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I've seen a similar tactic in online blitz: the shock move. Something like:

[pgn]
    [FEN "1R3n2/3pkp2/8/4q3/2Q5/8/8/7K w - - 0 1"]
    [SetUp "1"]
    1. Qe6+
    [/pgn]

Black has to take the Q, and he usually wastes a critical second or two deciding which piece should capture. The move is usually timed so that those seconds are Black's last.
    A move like that (cheap hehe - Relax, I do it too.) is good strategy (clock strategy that is) when an opponent is short of time.
    The more random the check, the better it is in severe time trouble. A lot of people just can't adjust, and it also throws there premove down the drain.

The reverse effect (or playing the other side of that) :
    When down to just a king or so and both sides are short of time, you have to make wild moves with the king to avoid the most possible checks. If you have a few seconds on him, and he is about to flag, premove an illegal move that looks like it would capture the spite check. Be prepared to make a real move in a flash if that one isn't accepted. I've done this before. They never expect you to factor the wild man sac in.

Generally, just play the king as far away from any pieces as you can. Don't even chase down queening pawns in time scrambles (under 5 seconds or maybe worse). Go the opposite way and try to stay in the center of the board.

This alone will get you a few seconds or so.

Edit: I have a lot more little tricks like this that I've learned from experience at 1 minute at FICS. Believe it or not, a second here and there makes all the difference a lot of the time.

I did make 2200 one time, but funnily enough, I blew the rating quite stupidly. It was late at night, and I didn't even have any business playing. I was seeking 1 0 u games, and I must have left the u out of one of my challenges. I'd been sacking like crazy all night (unrated=pure fun), and I did likewise in this game. My opponent was rated about 1500 or so, and it wasn't until after I lost that I found out it was rated! The really funny thing is that it was total nonsense. A loss cost me a ton of points, but a win didn't even gain a point I think. After that, I went on the regain my points binge and wiped out my rating.

The lesson I guess is that you shouldn't play chess tired.
    If you do, you better make sure that u is on your seek!
  8. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 15:57
    According to the OP, it was bad manners of me to play on in Game 9425627. I think I was in control of the game for the most part, but after misplaying it I found myseld down a piece. Yesterday I saw 32.g3, hoping my opponent would see it as an obvious blunder and play Nf4h3 to go for the double attack on my queen and rook and not see Qf3b7 which gets me a draw or I win a rook. My opponent hasn't accepted the draw offer and the game is still on going(for all intents and purposes, the game is over). However, its a winning situation for me as the point from a draw and a win in the last game of the tournament round I'm currently in(where I'm up a piece) will win the round for me. You see it as bad manners, I see it as strategy.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 16:29
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    According to the OP, it was bad manners of me to play on in Game 9425627. I think I was in control of the game for the most part, but after misplaying it I found myseld down a piece. Yesterday I saw 32.g3, hoping my opponent would see it as an obvious blunder and play Nf4h3 to go for the double attack on my queen and rook and not see Qf3b7 which get ...[text shortened]... e I'm up a piece) will win the round for me. You see it as bad manners, I see it as strategy.
    According to OP comments later in the thread, you're off the hook because your opponent is not of a 'decent rating class', i.e. 1600+, which just so happens to be OP's class.
  10. e4
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 16:391 edit
    I am appalled at the time trouble tactics employed by players I once admired and respected.
    (especially you SG - and you said a rude word.)

And Kingshill, you were once top dog here.
    My 1400 lads read this forum and look what you and your
    band of rascals are teaching them.

When my opponent is in time trouble I stop the clocks and give him
    5-10 minutes of my time. 😏

Forcing him to make long moves indeed. I've never heard anything like it.

I'm half expecting one of you to say you carry a flick knife to stab and pin
    his hand to table so he cannot press his clock.

(when you press the clock accidently move it closer towards him. Watch them
    slapping your button and not noticing.)
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 17:50
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    According to the OP, it was bad manners of me to play on in Game 9425627. I think I was in control of the game for the most part, but after misplaying it I found myseld down a piece. Yesterday I saw 32.g3, hoping my opponent would see it as an obvious blunder and play Nf4h3 to go for the double attack on my queen and rook and not see Qf3b7 which get ...[text shortened]... e I'm up a piece) will win the round for me. You see it as bad manners, I see it as strategy.
    That was also use of good psychology too.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 18:03

I often get into time trouble OTB, I wish my opponents would have a guilty conscience when that happens to me and forget to hit their clock after moving. I did that with an opponent of mine when he had only about 5 seconds left; but I had a winning position and wanted to play out the position rather than win on time. However, I did have one person that apologized for playing an opening trap against me on my first time back to OTB chess at the Columbia Chess Club.
  13. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 21:041 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    According to OP comments later in the thread, you're off the hook because your opponent is not of a 'decent rating class', i.e. 1600+, which just so happens to be OP's class.
    For that matter, neither am I. Does that cancel out the canceling and still make it rude?
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 02:45
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I am appalled at the time trouble tactics employed by players I once admired and respected.
    (especially you SG - and you said a rude word.)

And Kingshill, you were once top dog here.
    My 1400 lads read this forum and look what you and your
    band of rascals are teaching them.

When my opponent is in time trouble I stop the clocks and give him
    5-1 ...[text shortened]... ck accidently move it closer towards him. Watch them
    slapping your button and not noticing.)
    For my fellow Yanks and Canucks: a "flick knife" is called a switchblade in North America.

I learned that from a book on the Benoni, of all places...
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 04:13
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    For my fellow Yanks and Canucks: a "flick knife" is called a switchblade in North America.

I learned that from a book on the Benoni, of all places...
    That is news to me. If someone had mentioned a "flick knife" to me I would have never thought they meant a "switchblade". I would have thought it may be slang referring to a knife that was easy to throw and stick. Perhaps those knives used to throw at the women in a circus.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree