1. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    08 Sep '07 05:47
    Fritz 9 took 18 minutes to find Rxg2+ on my machine (Core Duo notebook, 1.7 GHz).

Note I am not accusing the OP of cheating; I was just curious what the result would be.
  2. Joined
    19 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '07 06:32
    The results are in!

Fritz 10 finds 19... Rxg2 in 9 minutes on a Core 2 Duo Processor 🙂.
  3. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '07 06:37
    Originally posted by Akashic
    Interestingly enough my Fritz 10 did not see Rxg2 after 6 minutes of thinking (on a Core 2 Duo Processor) yet when the move is made it can see that it is winning in 16 seconds. Then when I go back a move the little cheater makes me think that it saw Rxg2 all along 😛.
    yes, like mine also..I think it somehow cashes the analyses of the played line...
  4. Joined
    19 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '07 06:39
    Originally posted by vipiu
    yes, like mine also..I think it somehow cashes the analyses of the played line...
    It's a very smart feature which definitely saves a lot of time when looking over one's games.
  5. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '07 06:40
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Agreed. I personally can't stand the concieted idiots who can't accept that someone else is better than them. Shame on anyone who even thought of tainting this thread with cheating accusations. This may be one of the best games ever played on this site and it's about time it gets the credit it deserves.
    still, one nice game unfortunately doesn't make me stronger than higher rated players than me...I would prefer to be 150 points stronger instead of playing such a game 🙂
  6. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '07 06:41
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Yeah I think the moral of the story is [b]always give serious consideration to playing any forcing move in any position.

Fascinating game - beautiful to watch.

Just out of interest did Telboy 2 message you during the onslaught, Vipiu?[/b]
    yes, he is a very nice guy, I played many balanced games against him on this site as he is about my strength.
    he congratulated me.
  7. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '07 06:44
    The results are in!

Fritz 10 finds 19... Rxg2 in 9 minutes on a Core 2 Duo Processor 🙂.
    preatty fast(compared to Korch's Rybka)...probably it is more about the strength of the computer than about the chess engine used...
    and maybe his Rybka version is not the latest...as I heared Rybka would easily win against any other chess engine (including Fritz)
  8. Standard memberceders
    Viva la Analysis
    Shangri La
    Moves
    08 Sep '07 07:34
    well worthy of one of these 😲

chessmaster9 cant find it so i like beating it from the position 🙂
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    08 Sep '07 08:51
    I think all evidence is pointing to the fact that unless you have a super fast computer or are prepared to leave it for an inordinate amount of time an engine simply does not find Rxg2.

When an engine finds another "winning" move in seconds I simply cannot believe that an engine user would leave it another 10 minutes in the hope of finding a better line so I must conclude that, inprobable as some may think, that Rxg2 was a human discovery.
  10. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    08 Sep '07 10:191 edit
    I would die a happy man if I could win a game like that.
    Weyerstrass watch out!
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Sep '07 11:10
    Interestingly enough my Fritz 10 did not see Rxg2 after 6 minutes of thinking (on a Core 2 Duo Processor) yet when the move is made it can see that it is winning in 16 seconds. Then when I go back a move the little cheater makes me think that it saw Rxg2 all along 😛.
    I've seen similar behaviour from fritz every now and then. it makes you wonder what kind of moves it's pruning algorithm discards every time you use it. it's also one of the things that has lead me to have very little respect for computer evaluation in general.

an engine may be statistically more correct than a GM's evaluation, but it's not the objective truth. the exact-looking numbers the engines spew just give the illusion of accurate objective truth, but it's nothing more than an illusion.
  12. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    09 Sep '07 03:25
    I have to say that this is probably the best combination I have seen in a really long time. I would think that vipiu should try to get this game published in Chess Life / On Chessbase / anywhere else he can get this. It's very apparent that this would be a wonderful addition to many chess books already on out combinations and calculation. This is absolutely incredible, and what's even more incredible is how completely nonchalant vipiu is about it. I don't really even know what to post. It's a completely brilliant combination. I mean absolutely mind boggling and brilliant. I am completely boggled by it. I mean I am just sitting here at my laptop rambling because of the bogglingness of it.
  13. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    09 Sep '07 03:30
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I have to say that this is probably the best combination I have seen in a really long time. I would think that vipiu should try to get this game published in Chess Life / On Chessbase / anywhere else he can get this. It's very apparent that this would be a wonderful addition to many chess books already on out combinations and calculation. This is absolutely ...[text shortened]... y it. I mean I am just sitting here at my laptop rambling because of the bogglingness of it.
    I bet he could get it in Chess Life. I would try sending it in to Lev Alburt who does a game of the month article. Put some annotations with it (and some good diagrams) and he could get picked. Lev sends out a free book to each month's winner, so you could even get a nice free book to go along with the excellent combination.
  14. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    09 Sep '07 03:32
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    I bet he could get it in Chess Life. I would try sending it in to Lev Alburt who does a game of the month article. Put some annotations with it (and some good diagrams) and he could get picked. Lev sends out a free book to each month's winner, so you could even get a nice free book to go along with the excellent combination.
    If he doesn't I will without question do it.
  15. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '07 16:13
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    it would be great to see this game in a Chess Journal, vipiu is becoming a chess celebrity !

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree