My best chess game

My best chess game

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L
5. f3

Moves
30 Sep 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Katonah
Lets face it, for all the buzz that this game has generated, it took the opponents "bad" moves to make it happen. So lets not throw too many accolades. For a brilliancy to happen someone has to make a mistake!! The rook sac was speculative, without merit and it happened to work out in the end. Why are the computers not finding this, because of the very fact game as a one off, it is not a brilliant game it just happened to work to the winners favor !
As it mentioned, anyone can try differnt settings against a engine (anyone in my level or even lower will think of Rook sacrifise and see what can come after), Rxg2 and see how it goes after, which is Queen sacrfise.

I cant think this is a play of 1800

- LoLLe

v

Moves
30 Sep 07

Originally posted by Katonah
Lets face it, for all the buzz that this game has generated, it took the opponents "bad" moves to make it happen. So lets not throw too many accolades. For a brilliancy to happen someone has to make a mistake!! The rook sac was speculative, without merit and it happened to work out in the end. Why are the computers not finding this, because of the very fact ...[text shortened]... game as a one off, it is not a brilliant game it just happened to work to the winners favor !
No, the sacrifice Rxg2 was correct and in all lines analyzed by me I was getting advantage: at least piece+p+activity versus R...after tha game when I used a computer to check it it proved that the R sack was sound and correct.

For those with computer use accusations: just please check the whole game(before Rxg2) with an engine and notice that several of my moves were inferior to computer's sugestion...

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
01 Oct 07

Originally posted by vipiu
No, the sacrifice Rxg2 was correct and in all lines analyzed by me I was getting advantage: at least piece+p+activity versus R...after tha game when I used a computer to check it it proved that the R sack was sound and correct.

For those with computer use accusations: just please check the whole game(before Rxg2) with an engine and notice that several of my moves were inferior to computer's sugestion...
As a thought, how would you have handled 21. ... Qxb7 22. Kg1. ?
You're still winning, though.

c
Viva la Analysis

Shangri La

Moves
01 Oct 07

Originally posted by vipiu
i think you should take all these accusations as a compliment.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
01 Oct 07

Originally posted by ceders
i think you should take all these accusations as a compliment.
I don't see why he's defending himself. There's no reason to. Just report each accusation as they come and shut people up. The simple style of play dictates that he didn't cheat in other moves that game. Engine analysis has revealed that he didn't cheat to find that particular sacrifice. And personal (and I'm sure mod) analysis has shown that he hasn't cheated in any of his other games. Is that not enough?

z

Moves
02 Oct 07

perhaps only " strong " players can find good moves and win in the way vipiu did it ... 🙁

v

Moves
02 Oct 07

Originally posted by buffalobill
As a thought, how would you have handled 21. ... Qxb7 22. Kg1. ?
You're still winning, though.
after Qb7 Kg1 Qxf3 I will get that position I was talking about...with piece+pawn+activity vs rook...and I think black is better...actually this was the main line in my opinion until I saw his Bg3 reply and I thought Rxg2 doesn't work because of it...but after that I saw Qxf3 wins anyway(as on Kxf3 the whole that long line mate is forced)...
anyway, the Q sacks are not difficult to see these days when all the problems are about Q sacks 🙂

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
24 Dec 07
1 edit

Just found this little gem.

19...Rxg2!! followed by the intermediate 20...Qb7 and then the killer 21...Qxf3!!

So Vipiu, have you been invited to a spot at the World Championships yet?

t

Moves
24 Dec 07

Originally posted by Fat Lady
I won't accuse you of cheating... but that queen sac really was wonderful and frankly a bit too good to be true. If you genuinely found it yourself then I salute you.
finding the queen sac on the move it should be played isn't hard...finding it a few moves before is the hard part...beautiful game vipiu! 🙂

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
24 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by tomtom232
finding the queen sac on the move it should be played isn't hard...finding it a few moves before is the hard part...beautiful game vipiu! 🙂
That rook sacrifice is nothing less than Tal-like genius. If you put a group of GMs and super-GMs in a room, and told them they're watching a game between two famous GMS and asked to call the moves as they were played, I think they would literally choke when they saw that rook sacrifice. And unlike Tals rook sacrifices, this one turned out be 100% positionally sound!!

Seriously, if this was a Kramnik versus Fritz game, this would have been the top story on chessbase news.

t

Moves
24 Dec 07

I was thinking 21.Ng1 Nh4 22.Kh1 and black still has to prove himself.

B

Moves
25 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by tomtom232
I was thinking 21.Ng1 Nh4 22.Kh1 and black still has to prove himself.
Bc6 and it's over

Those sacs simply owned. It's not the best I've seen, but it's the best I've seen on the internet lol

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
25 Dec 07
1 edit

I find the final position remarkable:

A couple of things that blow my mind:

1) Every remaining black piece is part of the attack including the undeveloped rook and bishop!

2) Black completely dominates the centre with pawns. White hardly looks like it got off the starting block at all. I can't remember ever seeing another game that looked so much like the king was kindnapped by chess zombies and dropped into enemy territory. Even if this was two masters playing, I would consider this one of the greatest king-fishing games I've ever seen.

B

Moves
25 Dec 07

This game reminds me of an attack an IM, Josh Waitzkin, did when he played and beat his first master. I'll try and find the game later if you don't know what I'm talking about.

If I remember correctly he did a Rook and Queen sac, and ran the opponents King up the board

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
26 Dec 07

Originally posted by Best101
This game reminds me of an attack an IM, Josh Waitzkin, did when he played and beat his first master. I'll try and find the game later if you don't know what I'm talking about.

If I remember correctly he did a Rook and Queen sac, and ran the opponents King up the board
Yes, I remember that from Chessmaster 9000, where Waitzkin walks you through that game (and many others).

The game is also here:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1328833

I think vipiu's game was more amazing though. Waitzkin's rook sac was leaving the rook behind to be taken, not throwing it across the board with abandon with no obvious continuation. Waitzkin knew that if the rook sac was taken, the queen sac was part of a single tactic that led to forced mate. In vipiu's game, an uncertain intervening move after Kxg2 had to be factored in.

Also, Waitzkin's sac could have been declined with 25...Rg8 giving black a dangerous but playable game. Black's solid pawn formation in that game was nothing like the pawn dominance that made vipiu's mate possible.

What makes Waitzkin's game more amazing though was that he was 10 years old. 🙂