1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 16:17
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    I didn't play seriously. There is no need to be arrogant. If my question about improving disturbs you, just ignore it.
    You want to improve?

1. Look at my graph.
    2. Take chess seriously. Can you guess when I started playing serious chess on here looking at my graph?
    3. Before I was just messing around not caring much. Then I started playing on here seriously like I do in OTB and up it went.

4. Improvement = serious work = playing seriously.
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 16:22
    Originally posted by MIODude
    wow.. 2 hours a day, 3 hours aday.. no wonder I'm a slow improver compared to many. i make my moves and have maybe less than an 20 minutes a day for the moves.. I don't have 2 - 3 hours in a day to myself let alone for a particular hobbie.

sorry RahimK - I've downloaded the tactics, but just haven't had time to go over them..
    One of the reasons I stopped playing chess for a while. It's time for a break and it's hard work and not as fun anymore for me.

3+ hours everyday studying chess for 2 years. Reading, tactics, going over games etc... This does not include playing chess!!

I would guess that I was spending close to 4-5 hours everyday on chess including everything, studying and playing.

So how do you improve in the shortest time period? Take it very seriously and work hard.

I don't know if getting from 1852 - 2000 is worth the effort and hence for now I'm on my break. Teaching is much funner for me.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 21:44
    Speed of improvement is dependant on many things - the most crucial is talent, then hard work and a dedication to study (something which I lack)

naturally however, you will progress much faster is you have an experienced chess teacher showing you the yellow brick road.....teaching oneself, has to be one of the slowest, and least ineffective method there is.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 21:561 edit
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    Speed of improvement is dependant on many things - the most crucial is talent, then hard work and a dedication to study (something which I lack)

naturally however, you will progress much faster is you have an experienced chess teacher showing you the yellow brick road.....teaching oneself, has to be one of the slowest, and least ineffective method there is.
    Teaching yourself is very effective if you do it properly. Get lesson will help but you need the money. Lessons don't come cheap unless if you come to me 🙂 Cheapest in the city 🙂

I don't have money for chess lesson and I'm very proud of teaching myself chess from day 1. I've read tons of book, seen lots of dvd and spent hours and hours on it but i'm proud of that.

I don't think you need that much talent. Unless you want to get to 2000 or more, you don't require much talent, just hard work and taking it seriously.
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 01:401 edit
    Last thing planning. Check my other thread Need help getting to 1400. I posted a few planning links on there that I though were really good. Read those, page 12 of that thread if i'm not mistaken.

After that if you aren't at 1600 then I can't help you. You are obviously not following my advice.

Getting to 1800 is the same stuff. More tactics, start learning your openings better and start read some chess books.

Questions?
  6. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 12:59
    bump
  7. USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '06 22:22
    yet another bump
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 19:34
    what with all the bumpage??

-- bump --
  9. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 20:13
    Probably avoiding the next 10 new threads asking for help improving without reading this thread first 🙂
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 00:29
    There should be a self auto bump for this thread and the other one.

BUMP!
  11. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 00:33
    It would be nice to have both pinned to the top of this forum, I think most of the regulars who come to the chess forum would agree.
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 03:23
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    It would be nice to have both pinned to the top of this forum, I think most of the regulars who come to the chess forum would agree.
    I agree. Forum->Site Ideas.
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:29
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I agree. Forum->Site Ideas.
    Self-Bump.
  14. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:35
    Trouble with all the bumping is the threads start to not be updated with their original goal of 1600 advice etc. I did make a post in the Site Ideas forum about making these sticky but if and how long that will take is unknown. Might try sending an e-mail to Russ asking about it, probably would be easy to impliment.
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 08:16
    Isn't there a Need Help Getting to 1800 Rating thread. I was in the general forum and mentioned there was one but having searched for one , I can't find it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree