1. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 03:11
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    What a great move - I couldnt see it and I looked for 5 minutes.
    Got another one! This game is currently still going: Game 7161728

2. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 06:44
    Originally posted by Meadows
    I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but after my OTB games I normally put them into Fritz. Something I've found is that when I resign, Fritz' evaluation is normally about 9 in favour of my opponent. Now I don't play a huge number of OTB games, and recently I've had a huge run of luck in terms of not losing, so my sample isn't that big. Has anyon ...[text shortened]... nd that they have a "resigning threshold" when an engine has a look through their games?
    I resigned once...
    Mr. Fisher tried to play 1. ...Nxh1
    I protested but at that time none of the organizers would argue with him.
    We had to play on, and he finally beat me on move 217.
  3. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 07:30
    Only resign if your opponent is 1800+
  4. The Hague
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 10:23
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Good thing the game ended 9 minutes before your post
    There was no sign in his post the game was still going on. I suppose I could've checked the game-id from the reply-to-box, but I simply assumed it was a position from some finished game or other.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 11:202 edits
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Here is a famous position of resigning in a won position:

Black to play, resigned.
    [fen]7k/1b1r2p1/p6p/1p2qN2/3bP3/3Q4/P5PP/1B1R3K[/fen]

Can you spot the winning move?
    Reveal Hidden Content
    1...Bg1
    edit: nevermind 😳
  6. e4
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 11:525 edits
    What you do see sometimes is people thinking have been checkmated.

In the past both players come on the forum thinking there was something
    wrong with the RHP system and the postion was checkmate.

(there was an ep capture that stopped the mate).

Thread 95321 Fabian tried to tell the guy in a round about
    way the game was not finished and then complained to himself
    that he discussed a game in progress so a mod jumped on him.

and this one Thread 110369 ran for 8 pages.

OTB I've seen two games where one player said "mate."
    the other guy accepted it when infact it was not checkmate.
  7. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 12:281 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    What you do see sometimes is people thinking have been checkmated.

In the past both players come on the forum thinking there was something
    wrong with the RHP system and the postion was checkmate.

(there was an ep capture that stopped the mate).

Thread 95321 Fabian tried to tell the guy in a round about
    way the game was not fin s where one player said "mate."
    the other guy accepted it whe infact it was not checkmate.
    I once delivered mate by accident. My opponent had his hand out and I was still staring at the board. I was quite embarrassed to win.
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 13:46
    OTB I've seen two games where one player said "mate."
    the other guy accepted it when infact it was not checkmate.[/b]
    It's an old trick here in the States to announce "check" or "checkmate" in a club blitz game when you are losing and your opponent is short of time, even when there is no check. They usually look around, bewildered, looking for a phantom check while their time ticks off. It's usually just done among friends as a joke- among strangers, it would be more than the clock getting ticked off.
  9. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 02:13
    Originally posted by davaniel
    There was no sign in his post the game was still going on. I suppose I could've checked the game-id from the reply-to-box, but I simply assumed it was a position from some finished game or other.
    Originally posted by Forum Moderator
    Please be careful people, you are not allowed to comment on games in progress for a reason.
    Oops. I didnt realize you were not allowed to post up games which were still in progress

The thing is that both games were effectively 'over' in that it was a forced and unavoidable mating pattern

For a finished game example of when you should resign:

Game 7143410

At move: 26 whites proper response is to resign
  10. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 02:58
    Originally posted by Tiwaking
    Oops. I didnt realize you were not allowed to post up games which were still in progress

The thing is that both games were effectively 'over' in that it was a forced and unavoidable mating pattern

Game 7143410

At move: 26 whites proper response is to resign[pgn][Event "Challenge"] [Si ...[text shortened]... 2 Re8e1 30. Bc5g1 Qg5e3 31. Rb2f2 Nf6g4 32. h4 Qe3h3 0-1 [/pgn]
    The thing is that one or both players may not see said mating pattern until you point it out.
  11. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 03:05
    Originally posted by Tiwaking

Game 7143410

At move: 26 whites proper response is to resign[pgn][Event "Challenge"] [Si ...[text shortened]... 2 Re8e1 30. Bc5g1 Qg5e3 31. Rb2f2 Nf6g4 32. h4 Qe3h3 0-1 [/pgn]
    Had he resigned you wouldn't have had that lovely mate
  12. washington
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 20:36
    If I still have counterplay I'll play on. If I have none there is no need to be a poor sport. I feel it disrespectful when an opponent plays an endgame with no pieces vs a rook with no chance in hell winning the game. In the event that someone is just playing to be rude I will take all of their pieces and promote everything to bishops and knights. Then mate them. ;-)
  13. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 21:21
    It does also depend on many outside factors including but not limited to:

1. The time the bar closes
    2. If I would be the first to lose
    3. If a team result is dependant on it
    4. Whether I would have to travel for an adjournment
  14. Joined
    09 Aug '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 12:31
    I recently continued an endgame when a knight down. I had a rook and pawn versus rook, pawn and knight. I was rated about 1600 and my opponent 1550. I continued for a while thinking my opponent could make a mistake and I could maybe snatch a draw. If my opponent was ranked maybe 1800+ I probably would've resigned straight away. Was I wrong to continue? My opponent thought I showed lack of respect for him and the game. This was not my intention. Any comments welcome.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 12:35
    Originally posted by mattycharlie
    I recently continued an endgame when a knight down. I had a rook and pawn versus rook, pawn and knight. I was rated about 1600 and my opponent 1550. I continued for a while thinking my opponent could make a mistake and I could maybe snatch a draw. If my opponent was ranked maybe 1800+ I probably would've resigned straight away. Was I wrong to continue? ...[text shortened]... I showed lack of respect for him and the game. This was not my intention. Any comments welcome.
    no i dont think you were, if you could have traded pieces and left him with knight would you not have salvaged a draw?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree