1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 22:48
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Heh. When an Edinbrogian hears a Glaswegian, he finds it hard to understand.

Of course, the Glaswegians say that that's because the Edinbrogians are closer to English than to Scots.

Richard
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 22:491 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 22:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    This is a brilliant question and the answer is Patrick Thistle
    Wrong.

What they support is Partick Thistle Nil.

The final syllable is important.

Richard
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 23:05

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 15:33
    😀

You wouldn't want to try eating laquer...

One of the unintentionally funniest things I ever saw on TV was an interview on Flemish television. They didn't need English - she spoke Afrikaans and the interviewer spoke Dutch with a rather pronounced Flemish accent, and the result was perfectly understandable to this Dutchman. A hilarious demonstration of the power and flexibility of human language!

Relevance? Well, let's see... she was born in Benoni. I'm not sure that counts, though, since the opening was not named after the city: both were named after the Hebrew phrase meaning "Son of Sorrow".

Richard
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 19:331 edit
    yes we have these orange marches as well, there usually around the closest
    Saturday to the 12th of July, its quite a phenomena, a dude carries a Bible up front,
    usually in a case or on a pillow, and then men with orange sashes walk behind it,
    afterwards ladies in their Sunday best with hats on and a band of instruments, lots
    of military style snare drums, and whistles and flutes.

when i was a Celtic supporter (my family is divided, my mother an Irish protestant
    and my father a Roman catholic), we would sing the soldiers song and other songs,
    the Rangers fans would sing theirs. The last game i attended was a New years day
    event and I vowed, because of the sheer hatred, never to go back to a Celtic and
    Rangers match again. I think its changed now they are not allowed to sing these
    songs, but i could be wrong.

My own fathers family boycotted his wedding because he married a protestant, an
    act for which he had to get a dispensation from the local priest. He has never
    forgiven them, although we always had pancake Tuesday as a kid , for which i am
    grateful, everyone should celebrate pancakes!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 19:37
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Wrong.

What they support is Partick Thistle Nil.

The final syllable is important.

Richard
    they are termed the Jaggs and have a loyal following!
  8. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 07:06
    8:30.
    jaysus, that makes no sense.

On an intervening note, I would be grateful if a Spaniard, or informed non-Iberian, would let us know how one should pronounce Ruy Lopez?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 07:45
    Originally posted by joesheppe
    8:30.
    jaysus, that makes no sense.

On an intervening note, I would be grateful if a Spaniard, or informed non-Iberian, would let us know how one should pronounce Ruy Lopez?
    yes it does, half eight, we just miss out the 'past', bit, as in half past eight or 8:30. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree