Pronunciation

Pronunciation

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesser Poobah

Northern California

Moves
10 Nov 11

Robert J. Fischer also works well.

Moves
10 Nov 11

Originally posted by joesheppe
Eh?

The a in Kramnik and Anish sounds the same, mate. Same sound. Not different. As in crawdaddy.
Not even close.

Well, the a in Kramnik is a short mid-open back-ish vowel, and the A in Anish is a half-long open front one, at least how I've always heard them pronounced. Many people would see those as related, but they're still distinct. The "aw" in crawdaddy, however, most people seem to pronounce as a mid full-back fully rounded vowel, and very long indeed. It is very different from the other two, to my ears.

Richard

Moves
10 Nov 11

The post that was quoted here has been removed
That may be because I've seen the same mistake made too bleedin' often, and it's starting to wear thin.

At least Limeys are aware that almost nobody hears and pronounces the same vowels the same way as they do. Well, they have to, with that many accents in a country that size - try and get a Cockney, a Mackem and someone from the West Country to agree on an "a"!

Richard

D

Moves
10 Nov 11
1 edit

rc

Moves
10 Nov 11
1 edit

ach yuv no git a bars irn bru hen!

actually i have even heard of cases where business persons have asked for a
translator for vernacular Glaswegian, its a fairly guttural affair, to be sure. But we love
it, its unpretentious and spiced with egalitarian sensibility.

🙂

Lesser Poobah

Northern California

Moves
11 Nov 11

Glaswegian is in fact English, is it not?

But here's my question to Robbie (it's a phrase I first heard from an older man in Glazgow): Is half eight 8:30 or 7:30?

By the way, I understood very little of his half of our conversation, though I believed him at the time to be a real jokester, bless his shiny bald pate.

rc

Moves
11 Nov 11
4 edits

Originally posted by joesheppe
Glaswegian is in fact English, is it not?

But here's my question to Robbie (it's a phrase I first heard from an older man in Glazgow): Is half eight 8:30 or 7:30?

By the way, I understood very little of his half of our conversation, though I believed him at the time to be a real jokester, bless his shiny bald pate.
mmm, not really jojo, its a dialect and probably such a broad one as to warrant a
distinct language to be honest. As Dutchess states, its almost unintelligible unless
one really listens deeply. This is due mainly to a number of factors me thinks, the
influence of lowland Scots as distinct from English as German or French, the
influence of the Irish and rather interestingly the influence of ethnic minorities which
we have embraced, most noteworthy the asian community. Some of there terms
having entered the vernacular, for example, 'get a jaldi on', (jaldi being the Punjabi
word for do quickly), or 'get a decko at her', (decko being the Urdu/Punjabi word for
look, as in wow look at her!, couple this with rhyming slang 'you hav nae got a bars
irn bru, meaning you haven't got a clue', and one can see how difficult it might
become. There are still some vestiges from Gaelic as well.

half eight is 8:30, lol

yes we are jesters through and through, the reasons for this are interesting and are
mainly cultural,

trust not the man who says hes more than an actor for that lie waves like the devils
banner above theft and murder- I think it was ol Shakespeare who uttered this, a
true Glaswegian if ever there was one 😛

and for the chess purists, play 1.e4, best be test 🙂

D

Moves
11 Nov 11

rc

Moves
11 Nov 11

Lol, when Rangers fans are involved yes, they are protestants and not happy unless
they are doing just that, protesting about something. Football is a religion in Glasgow
and depending upon which side of the religious divide one happens to be born dictates
which team one follows. He might have asked if you were staring at his girlfriend,
when you said no, he might have asked why not, is she not pretty! I dont like posh
Glaswegian myself, it sound pretentious, probably in my opinion, the most beautifully
spoken English in Scotland comes from Perth and Kinross, or perhaps the western Isles
where they have a rather beautiful soft lyrical tone to their speech, I am always
ashamed when i am in such company for i sound like I was dragged up rather than
brought up. 🙂

D

Moves
12 Nov 11

P

The Ghost Bishop

Moves
12 Nov 11
2 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
So what is the proper pronunciation of Bobby Fischer?
I'll take this one!!!......Bobby, but it must sound slightly sarcastic like a southerner says "barbie" (bahhhhhby) or the way an Australian might say barby (BRBQ to Americans). Furthermore the Fischer is properly said with a tad sprinkle of Brooklyn in it. "Fih shhh cherrr" and now you have yourself a very delicately pronounced Bobby Fischer. Now if you're looking to say something important, and want to put that extra emphasis on it - you'll need to add some well mannered slang. Do note you must be very selective. Typically a good strong American emphasis would be performed like so:

Bahhhhhby Fawkken Fihshhhcherrrr Gahd Dahmmittt !

Q

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
12 Nov 11

Bobby Fischer - is pronounced "bawbee" as per how Spassky does it. As far as I am concerned Spassky decides how the name is pronounced.

Speaking of ethnocentric Americans (and Scotland) - the only place on earth where having the "neutral" Midwestern American accent caused a problem was in the Western Isles (Outer Hebrides?) of Scotland where on several occasions locals simply couldn't understand my accent.

either that or they wanted to make me dig out a pen and paper...

rc

Moves
12 Nov 11

This is a brilliant question and the answer is Patrick Thistle, who have their home
ground in the West end of Glasgow right next to a Rennie Mackintosh church. If you
are fortunate enough to live in the converted warehouses beside them by the Forth
and Clyde canal (hand dug by the way and stretching from Glasgow to Edinburgh,
roughly fifty miles) you could 'hing', out your veranda and watch the games for free.

Lol, Rangers fans are terribly loyalist, in fact, it is not uncommon for them to wear
the English national shirt to demonstrate their affinity to the British Monarchy. This
phenomena is directly traceable back to battles fought in Ireland most notably, the
Battle of the Boyne, fought in 1690 (yes that long ago!) between the protestant
claimant King William and James II, I think.

Lol, yeah, one has to experience the warm summer breeze airing ones nether
regions to realise the attraction of a kilt! Ironically, ladies Kilts are more modest
than mens, longer anyway! but these things that pass for kilts nowadays were
invented by some Victorian dude, a proper kilt is a length of material (termed a
plaid) about 22 feet long and is usually attached with a large buckle or broach.

rc

Moves
12 Nov 11

Originally posted by nimzo5
Bobby Fischer - is pronounced "bawbee" as per how Spassky does it. As far as I am concerned Spassky decides how the name is pronounced.

Speaking of ethnocentric Americans (and Scotland) - the only place on earth where having the "neutral" Midwestern American accent caused a problem was in the Western Isles (Outer Hebrides?) of Scotland where on several occ ...[text shortened]... t understand my accent.

either that or they wanted to make me dig out a pen and paper...
I have been to the outer Hebrides also, yeah, it cuts both ways i reckon, a friend went
to Georgia and all every one said was, 'pardon me mam'!

D

Moves
12 Nov 11