1. 19th hole
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 16:47
    I went to a chess tournament for a weekend before I was a subscriber and I knew I would run out of time in 2 games. I sent my opponents a message before I left and said I was going and both of them timed me out. I didn't whine about it because it was my fault, I should not have accepted the games if I knew that I couldn't play them within my time limits. If you run out of time, you deserve to lose.
  2. London
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 17:49
    Originally posted by zniemann
    Huh? You lost me on that one.
    I understood it to mean that you were repeating what you had put in an earlier post and so contradicting your own point about reading the whole thread - I realised you were answering a new respondent...but anyway...back to the subject...

I do understand how you feel about this and you are not alone. I haven't looked at your profile but you could put a note on there (if you haven't already) advertising your policy of emailing before timing out and hope the courtesy is returned.

Having said that I think there is space here for different approaches to skulling and to allow that people may have different reasons and opinions informing there decision to claim a time out win in a losing position. Given this it does seem a little heavy to jump in and publicly call someone a prick.
  3. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 18:01
    All you're doing here is accusing me of not ever having played in a tournament, while not even addressing my main points.

Thank you for being negative and redundant.
    Look again. I did address your points, event he one about "tournaments."

Liar.
  4. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 18:08
    Good sportsmanship requires that you understand what it is and to be able to recognize what is bad sportsmanship. Bad sportsmanship should be called out and penalized yes, e.g., in football you have "personal foul" penalties. Just because you point something out as bad doesn't mean the act of pointing it out is wrong.

I have suffered many defeats wit ...[text shortened]... ents about my character from one emotional post, which I almost immediately regretted.
    I'm judging your on your pathetic posts. How would you have me judge you? The way you judged your opponent when you called him a prick?

YOU are a prick. Maybe you can convince your mommy and daddy that you REALLY won the game, it was just a technicality. Just like a delay of game penalty is a technicality in American football.

The game is defined by the rules, and the rule of the game say you lost. You can whine all you want, but your opponent did nothing unethical. You did, though, by slurring somebody who did nothing wrong. Your attitude is "I can do what I want, others cannot."

You even falsely accused me of not addressing your points, you lying prick. You are not only a crybaby, you are a liar as well.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 18:14
    Originally posted by dpressnell
    I'm judging your on your pathetic posts. How would you have me judge you? The way you judged your opponent when you called him a prick?

YOU are a prick. Maybe you can convince your mommy and daddy that you REALLY won the game, it was just a technicality. Just like a delay of game penalty is a technicality in American football.

The game is define ...[text shortened]... addressing your points, you lying prick. You are not only a crybaby, you are a liar as well.
    Finally! Somebody put in words what I felt about the situation.

Thanx dpressnell!
  6. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 18:16
    Yes, and I'm tired of people who don't read the whole thread before responding. I said in post #2 that I basically made the mistake of posting before reading other threads, so your response was unnecessary. I'm not interested in whining about it anymore and haven't been since post #2.

Maybe you're the one who should "suck it up and move on", instead of wasting your time with all the great advice you're leaving in the forums.
    Your response on your second post was NOT a retraction, it was only an example of digging the hole even deeper for yourself.

"I think it's appalling that poor sportsmanship is not looked down upon here"

People have a right to respond to that screwed up attitude whether you like it or not.

The problem with you is not that people haven't read the thread. It's that they HAVE read the thread and seen your continuing selfishness and snobbery.
  7. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 18:19
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Finally! Somebody put in words what I felt about the situation.

Thanx dpressnell!
    Hey, what are you doing reading all the posts in this thread? Don't you know nobody does that?

I'm gonna go tell my mommy!

MOMMY, MOMMY, I MADE A POST TELLING WHAT I THOUGHT AND NOW PEOPLE ARE TELLING ME WHAT THEY THINK PLEASE MAKE THEM STOP MOMMY THEY ARE SO MEAN!!!!!
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 18:36
    Hey, what are you doing reading all the posts in this thread? Don't you know nobody does that?

I'm gonna go tell my mommy!

MOMMY, MOMMY, I MADE A POST TELLING WHAT I THOUGHT AND NOW PEOPLE ARE TELLING ME WHAT THEY THINK PLEASE MAKE THEM STOP MOMMY THEY ARE SO MEAN!!!!!
    I know that you are being sarcastic but I don't know if it is pointed at me or the original poster. If it is pointed at me becuase you thought that my post was sarcastic it wasn't it was sincere.
  9. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 18:41
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I know that you are being sarcastic but I don't know if it is pointed at me or the original poster. If it is pointed at me becuase you thought that my post was sarcastic it wasn't it was sincere.
    It was pointed at the original poster.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 18:43
    It was pointed at the original poster.
    That's what I was thinkin' but I always get myself into trouble when I just assume things.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '07
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 19:271 edit
    I'm the guy (prick) that took the timeout win. I did it. I don't regret it. I will do it again if the opportunity arises. The timeout is a part of the game here and this time it worked to my advantage. I enjoyed our game and look forward to the next one.
  12. Joined
    02 Oct '07
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 20:301 edit
    Originally posted by sprice18
    I'm the guy (prick) that took the timeout win. I did it. I don't regret it. I will do it again if the opportunity arises. The timeout is a part of the game here and this time it worked to my advantage. I enjoyed our game and look forward to the next one.
    You, my friend, are a true warrior of Caissa. Just don't play 2... f6? again, it sucks.
  13. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 21:10
    Hello, I was CLEARLY beating an opponent and then had computer access problems during my recent move. He took the timeout win without attempting to message me first. I had him in checkmate in about 4 moves. gameid=4131837

I suppose it is not possible to force a timeout retraction? What a little prick.

Zach
    Same happened to me Game 4020028

I didnt post a whiner thread or send any PM cause of that. I also take skulls when I can. As a non subscriber I have a limited number of games, a slow player dont allow me to play as much as I want, so I always take timeout when the chance appears. Doesnt matter if I'm winning or not
  14. Standard memberChipotle
    Pawn Grubber
    a2-g8 diagonal
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 21:20
    I stand by my statement that someone who claims a completely undeserved timeout win, without attempting to contact the other person at all, is an unethical prick. There are rules, and there are ethics. Anyone can play a sport, but sportsmanship is not written into the rules. I always contact the other person several times before claiming a timeout win, a ...[text shortened]... ue (e.g., claiming a timeout 30 days after the 7 day timeout period)

[rest of post deleted]
    How can you complain about a timeout loss, especially if it was due to connection problems. If your opponent had messaged you, how would you respond? He/she is then a prick for timing you out after a question was not responded to?

Your opponent may look at it another way. How about, I'm in a bad position, but this guy is going really, really deep to work out the win. The analysis is taking so long, he timed out. Now, do I allow him to make the !! move and win, even though it took longer than allowed?

That's the purpose of a time rule - to keep the game moving. There seems to be a belief by some on this site that once you get a winning position, you deserve to win no matter what move you make, or how long you take. There is a reason winning a won game has been called the most difficult thing in chess. You have to close the deal within the rules.
  15. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 20:22
    I think that anyone calling an opponent who didn't break any rules an "unethical prick" should issue an apology to that player, or be banned from this wonderful website. And since the name-calling was done in public, the apology should be made in public, too!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree