1. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 20:08
    Hello, I was CLEARLY beating an opponent and then had computer access problems during my recent move. He took the timeout win without attempting to message me first. I had him in checkmate in about 4 moves. gameid=4131837

I suppose it is not possible to force a timeout retraction? What a little prick.

Zach
  2. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 20:10
    no. but god he kicked your butt
  3. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 20:10

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 20:14
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    no. but god he kicked your butt
    I assume you're being sarcastic.

Nevermind everyone, I saw another similar thread:
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=78776

The community here seems pretty ruthless, good to know. I don't need to hear anyone telling me to adjust my timeout value or vacation settings.

I think it's appalling that poor sportsmanship is not looked down upon here. None of you would do that to someone you were playing in person, but apparently online it's ok. Wonderful.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 20:17
    Originally posted by zniemann
    Hello, I was CLEARLY beating an opponent and then had computer access problems during my recent move. He took the timeout win without attempting to message me first. I had him in checkmate in about 4 moves. gameid=4131837

I suppose it is not possible to force a timeout retraction? What a little prick.

Zach
    I counted you claiming 8 wins by timeout before this horrible crime, and this was the first and only time you got timed out.

oh, the humanity! every time it turns out like this. every single time.
  6. Joined
    02 Dec '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 20:18
    I think most people here would take a win when an opponent's time ran out in person. The time controls are part of the game, and players take them seriously here and in person and it's not poor sportmanship.
    If you want people to play you with kid gloves on, play your games unrated, then its probably poor sportmanship if they take a timeout against you.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 20:23
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I counted you claiming 8 wins by timeout before this horrible crime, and this was the first and only time you got timed out.

To be fair, it looks like all the players xe timed out have left the site.
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 20:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 20:33
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    To be fair, it looks like all the players xe timed out have left the site.
    really? I think one of them had a green dot on while I counted them. could be it was on another line though... but still, I would never have the audacity to whine about someone else timing me out, after claiming the skull 8 times myself.

well okay, I would. but I'd also expect people to pile up the insults on me.
  10. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 20:36
    Consider that (1) you lost a total of about 10 rating points to this, and (2) your rating adjusts to match your playing strength anyway, so if your playing strength is truly above your current rating you will quickly regain the points anyway.

And if you're about to say that it's not about the rating points, but about the "principle" of whether you won or lost, isn't it enough that you can consider yourself to have had the moral victory?

So is it really worth complaining about?
  11. Joined
    18 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 21:03
    Originally posted by zniemann

None of you would do that to someone you were playing in person, but apparently online it's ok.
    I wouldn't hesitate to take a flag-fall win in an "in person" tournament where ratings were at stake. I doubt anyone else on the site would either.
  12. Joined
    02 Oct '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 21:04
    What gusto by sprice18, completely rehabilitating Damiano's Defence🙂

Is there even a reason for NOT having the option to automatically take skulls? It seems kind of unfair that my opponent can get away with a time-out when I'm not around to claim it.
  13. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 21:17
    Originally posted by zzyw
    Is there even a reason for NOT having the option to automatically take skulls? It seems kind of unfair that my opponent can get away with a time-out when I'm not around to claim it.
    Actually that is kind of an interesting idea. You could have a setting, visible on your public profile, that would always claim your timeouts automatically. Your opponents could see that setting in advance and choose not to play you if they object. Then, when one of your opponents does get flagged, there is no room to complain because you had no immediate choice in the matter (granted, not that someone won't complain anyway).

However, I don't think they'll ever implement this: one, it seems to go against the philosophy of the admins (if not many or most of the players), which seems to be that you should always cut the other guy some slack; and two, it adds complexity to the site for something that's not really 'necessary'.
  14. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 21:27
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 21:34
    Originally posted by wormwood

Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree