1. Joined
    25 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 22:18
    I got timed out on a dozen or more games when I wasn't in a position to make any moves for quite some time. I even dropped a few hundred points in the process. Should I get those retracted as well?

Please. It's part of the game. You know the rules. The obligations for you are set before you start a game. Meet them or lose to your opponent that does, your fault or not.
  2. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 22:27
    Originally posted by Marsan
    I wouldn't hesitate to take a flag-fall win in an "in person" tournament where ratings were at stake. I doubt anyone else on the site would either.
    i think this is the point zniemann is missing.

in a rated tournament no player would say "oh your flag has dropped but lets play on anyway since you are winning"

they would say "cheers for the game" (if your lucky) whilst they clear up the board and prepare to move to the next round.
  3. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 22:57
    Where do you draw the line? In an otb game do you complain that you lost a game because the flag went up while you were making a cup of tea?
    I lost 24 tournament games in one go, not just one game, but I got on with it because I booked vacation time wrong, it happens, get over it and move on.
  4. Joined
    11 Mar '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 23:21
    Originally posted by zniemann
    Hello, I was CLEARLY beating an opponent and then had computer access problems during my recent move. He took the timeout win without attempting to message me first. I had him in checkmate in about 4 moves. gameid=4131837

I suppose it is not possible to force a timeout retraction? What a little prick.

Zach
    Refer to Ben Dover's post he was whining and crying just like you. http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=78776

Stop posting your rants if you do not want to get shredded! Bottom line is the rules allow for it. I have 'skulled' just because I want to get in another game and don't want my time wasted.
  5. Joined
    11 Mar '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 23:22
    You've been exposed!
  6. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 23:42
    Originally posted by pimpsandwich
    Refer to Ben Dover's post he was whining and crying just like you. http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=78776

Stop posting your rants if you do not want to get shredded! Bottom line is the rules allow for it. I have 'skulled' just because I want to get in another game and don't want my time wasted.
    Indeed. Though the need to take the pesky checkmate out of the rules. It's kicking my butt.
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 23:461 edit
    Hello, I was CLEARLY beating an opponent and then had computer access problems during my recent move. He took the timeout win without attempting to message me first. I had him in checkmate in about 4 moves. gameid=4131837

I suppose it is not possible to force a timeout retraction? What a little prick.

Zach
    Its unfortunate but its life. Your mistake, not his.

I would claim a win OTB instantly if my opponents flag fell, especially if he was 1 move away from mating me.
  8. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 01:51
    I assume you're being sarcastic.

Nevermind everyone, I saw another similar thread:
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=78776

The community here seems pretty ruthless, good to know. I don't need to hear anyone telling me to adjust my timeout value or vacation settings.

I think it's appalling that poor sportsmanship is not l ...[text shortened]... ld do that to someone you were playing in person, but apparently online it's ok. Wonderful.
    You think it's good sportsmanship to whine that you should be able to reverse the outcome of a game you lost by altering the rules? That in the process of that you call your former opponent a prick?

You don't have a clue about good sportsmanship. You are just a whining, selfish crybaby.
  9. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 01:57
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Its unfortunate but its life. Your mistake, not his.

I would claim a win OTB instantly if my opponents flag fell, especially if he was 1 move away from mating me.
    If in an OTB tournament somebody who lost on time accused his opponent of being a poor sport and a prick, he would probably get banned from the rest of the tournament.
  10. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 02:272 edits
    Nevermind everyone, I saw another similar thread:
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=78776

The community here seems pretty ruthless, good to know. I don't need to hear anyone telling me to adjust my timeout value or vacation settings.
    I thought my second post made it clear I was not interested in hearing the usual derision.
  11. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 02:301 edit
    Originally posted by Marsan
    I wouldn't hesitate to take a flag-fall win in an "in person" tournament where ratings were at stake. I doubt anyone else on the site would either.
    There is a serious difference between playing in person and playing online. When playing in person you adhere to rules of the tournament and you are *physically present* in case of problems.

When playing online, if there are connection problems, it could be as serious as not physically being able to make moves.

So, to take a timeout online, without attempting to contact the person seems to me to be highly unethical.

I have used timeout before, but only after attempting to contact the other person several times, often receiving an "ok" to timeout the game.
  12. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 03:40
    I thought my second post made it clear I was not interested in hearing the usual derision.
    Oh, yeah, I forgot. You just want to deride your opponent by accusing him of poor sportsmanship and calling him a prick, and everybody else needs to shut up and let you run your mouth any way you want.

Please excuse me and everybody else for commenting on a post you made in a public forum. We all forgot that you are god's gift to mankind and the rules that apply to everybody else don't apply to you.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 03:43
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I counted you claiming 8 wins by timeout before this horrible crime, and this was the first and only time you got timed out.

oh, the humanity! every time it turns out like this. every single time.
    thses stats wormwood presented pretty much should close debate on this thread... bravo! you're absolutely correct, you can't use the skull that many times, and then cry when its used against you...
    I've used the skull in the past, and for that, I'll refuse to cmplain about it, at least not publicly...
  14. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 03:44
    There is a serious difference between playing in person and playing online. When playing in person you adhere to rules of the tournament and you are *physically present* in case of problems.

When playing online, if there are connection problems, it could be as serious as not physically being able to make moves.

So, to take a timeout online, without a ...[text shortened]... mpting to contact the other person several times, often receiving an "ok" to timeout the game.
    Have you ever played in a tournament. It is a very rare exception that somebody runs out of time and is allowed to continue playing. This is true whether your dinner was too long, you don't feel well, or whatever.

It's obvious you have never played in a tournament and you don't have a clue what you are talking about. It's your ego that allows you to believe that just because you say something it must automatically be true.

Oh wait, there I go again, making an impermissable reply to a post in a public forum. Please accept my apologies for setting you straight on FACTS. I know how you consider such actions to be very unfair.
  15. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 03:47
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    thses stats wormwood presented pretty much should close debate on this thread... bravo! you're absolutely correct, you can't use the skull that many times, and then cry when its used against you...
    I've used the skull in the past, and for that, I'll refuse to cmplain about it, at least not publicly...
    Well, it didn't settle the matter for the prick who started the thread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree