1. Joined
    28 Apr '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 18:25
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    First of all, some players, especially those under 1400 think it is discourteous
    to resign or resigning a game is actually a form of sulking, unsportsmanlike behaviour.
    The fact that they may be playing on out of respect for you has passed you by.
    They want to give you the pleasure of checkmating them.

Secondly, [b]nobody has the right to tell an ...[text shortened]... sy forced mate in four (it's all with check)
    instead of dragging out the game with 23...Qxd2+
    In an effort to get this thread back on track, let me add my two cents.

When near a checkmate:

I agree with greenpawn34. One of my worst pet peeves is when I'm one or two moves away from checkmate and the guy resigns. It robes me of the pleasure of seeing the fruits of my labor.
    If a guy's is one move away from checkmate against me, I'll message him on a good game, make my last move and let him checkmate me.

Games with a "lost" position:

If I'm playing an opponent who's rated lower than me, I usually won't resign a lost position immediately. I'm usually around the 1300-1500 rating level and at our level people make a lot of blunders. I find I can come back and win the game about 10-20% of the time.

If I'm playing an opponent that's significantly higher rated than me I'll usually resign a lost position.

Let's stop bashing each other and let's get this thread back on track, I think it's a good topic to discuss.
    (If you want to bash me just remember I'll come over there and fight you, well more like wrestle you while I'm wearing my swim suit!
    <--- see my picture to the left)
  2. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 18:45
    Kind of depends on the time control. If it is the 21 day ladder, and a mate in 2 is on the board, that could be over a month before you get mated. I don't see any problem with resigning, just to save time, and open up a spot, so you can start another game.

It is almost like you are doing the heart attack defense - hoping the person dies, so you can collect their skull lol 🙂

I agree with you in OTB chess. I will normally not resign with a mate in one, and let the person mate me, but in correspondence, I think resigning is fine in any position.
  3. Subscriberjankrb
    Conductor
    Zwolle
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 19:01

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Subscriberjankrb
    Conductor
    Zwolle
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 19:05
    Originally posted by hintjul
    pneumonia, diarrhoea. Im a good at english, so i take offfence, gettin it?,
    btw, do you know the difference between a turd and diarrhea?

You can gargle diarrhea....
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 19:48
    A good example of not resigning a totally lost game - and delaying the whole tournament,and not learning anything from it - is Game Game 7430740.
  6. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 19:57
    Originally posted by ptriple42
    A good example of not resigning a totally lost game - and delaying the whole tournament,and not learning anything from it - is Game Game 7430740.
    that made me ROFL!! 😀 Totally hilarious - and perfect example. That game could go on for a few more months lol.
  7. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 20:542 edits
    Originally posted by hany3
    When near a checkmate:

I agree with greenpawn34. One of my worst pet peeves is when I'm one or two moves away from checkmate and the guy resigns. It robes me of the pleasure of seeing the fruits of my labor.
    If a guy's is one move away from checkmate against me, I'll message him on a good game, make my last move and let him checkmate me.
    In my feeble opinion, that really is a waste of time, whether in correspondence chess or OTB. Go through the checkmate on your own after the game if you feel compelled.

A winner who thinks it discourteous for the loser to resign prior to an impending checkmate needs to learn chess etiquette and get over it. Nothing wrong at all with resigning especially with a forced checkmate in play. Indeed, it is odd not to to resign with an impending forced checkmate.

The winner learns to get pleasure from forcing a resignation due to an impending checkmate.
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 20:54
    Originally posted by TimmyBx
    Kind of depends on the time control. If it is the 21 day ladder, and a mate in 2 is on the board, that could be over a month before you get mated. I don't see any problem with resigning, just to save time, and open up a spot, so you can start another game.

It is almost like you are doing the heart attack defense - hoping the person dies, so you can co ...[text shortened]... , and let the person mate me, but in correspondence, I think resigning is fine in any position.
    Agree
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 15:29
    Originally posted by moon1969
    A winner who thinks it discourteous for the loser to resign prior to an impending checkmate needs to learn chess etiquette and get over it. Nothing wrong at all with resigning especially with a forced checkmate in play. Indeed, it is odd not to to resign with an impending forced checkmate.
    I would say that this rather depends on how pretty the mating pattern is. After all, chess is not only a sport and a science, but also an art.

Richard
  10. Joined
    28 Apr '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 17:08
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    I would say that this rather depends on how pretty the mating pattern is. After all, chess is not only a sport and a science, but also an art.

Richard
    I agree.

And moon, I'm not at your level (yet.)

On the rare occasion that I win a game and that I set up a checkmate, I would like to see it through.
  11. Joined
    31 May '09
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 14:27
    I never resign just because I like to see what I can do regardless. Maybe learn something new or maybe they'll make a mistake.

Giving up just isn't in my blood. You're gonna have to work for your win. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree