Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 30 Dec '09 13:44
    does anyone know what happened to that thread about the 1400 guy who beat the 2400 player with the black pieces? i am just asking because its quite possible that i dreamed it, it was very very late 4 am i think, but i am sure i looked at a game beginning with the kings gambit. Did I dream it, am I going insane, any confirmation of the reality or otherwise would be appreciated.
  2. 30 Dec '09 13:59 / 1 edit
    No you must have been dreaming, he lost that game

Game 6538834
  3. Standard member atticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    30 Dec '09 14:41
    Try this. Same tourney - but not in real life

Game 6538838
  4. 30 Dec '09 14:42
    my goodness man you are correct! was there no Kings gambit? was it really dreaming? i mean i have heard of optimism but that goes beyond the limit!
  5. 30 Dec '09 14:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Try this. Same tourney - but not in real life

Game 6538838
    thankyou my friend you have restored some degree of sanity! i wonder what happed to it, must have been some accusations and it got pulled or something, i dunno, i was sleeping.
  6. Subscriber joesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    30 Dec '09 15:07
    Robbie --

Ya must be referring to the 'Someone Explain' thread that mysteriously disappeared overnight!
    I meself had responded: "Interesting. Either complete blindness on the part of the master for several moves, which can happen (see M. Carlsen's total blindness in his game against David Howell in the London Classic two weeks ago) or DanVM was essentially sandbagging, but I don't know why he would do that.
    They's no money in this thing we call RHP.

Meanwhile, 1400-rated players do that all the time, so it was perfectly possible for MrHand to discover the mate several moves late, and then mercifully execute it.

IMHO. Now if that kind of thing is a trend from DanVM..."

When I woke up to see some followup, it were gone. Pff! Just lie that.
  7. 30 Dec '09 15:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by joesheppe
    Robbie --

Ya must be referring to the 'Someone Explain' thread that mysteriously disappeared overnight!
    I meself had responded: "Interesting. Either complete blindness on the part of the master for several moves, which can happen (see M. Carlsen's total blindness in his game against David Howell in the London Classic two weeks ago) or DanVM was essenti m DanVM..."

When I woke up to see some followup, it were gone. Pff! Just lie that.
    My reply was that he didn't miss it for "several moves".
  8. 30 Dec '09 15:37
    I missed a mate in one, make a huge deal out of it Tell me it never happened to any of you. God damn jackals.
  9. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    30 Dec '09 15:39
    Originally posted by DanVM
    I missed a mate in one, make a huge deal out of it Tell me it never happened to any of you. God damn jackals.
    and you can now tell people you play like kramnik!
  10. Subscriber joesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    30 Dec '09 15:47
    Folks --

I'm on DanVM's side. It can happen at any time to anyone. Like I said, it happened to the highest-rated player in the land just a few weeks ago. There are several videos extant about that game. Check youtube or ICC. DanVM is a good guy. Not the person anyone should be hassling.
  11. Standard member Nowakowski
    10. O-O
    30 Dec '09 17:13 / 1 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    So your guy's strawman accusation game is based on the fact that this player

DID MAKE A MISTAKE

dear lord...you guys are great... make a mistake... and GUILTY!
    .....make no mistakes at all...ever.... and GUILTY!
    Make some mistakes, often, but no big ones... and GUILTY!

maybe if your rating stays below 1000, and you never post in the forums, then your legit.
    Elsewise your definitely suspect.

Ridiculous.
  12. 30 Dec '09 17:22
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    So your guy's strawman accusation game is based on the fact that this player

[b]DID MAKE A MISTAKE

dear lord...you guys are great... make a mistake... and GUILTY!
    .....make no mistakes at all...ever.... and GUILTY!

maybe if your rating stays below 1000, and you never post in the forums, then your legit.
    Elsewise your definitely suspect.

Ridiculous.[/b]
    i dont think that was the insinuation Gin for clearly all it was was an oversight, nothing more, nothing less. if you check the game you shall see that white plays excellently, almost optimally and forced black to make the best choices, in fact, sometimes the only choices, and then white plays for queen side attack and gets caught over a simple oversight. He is human and it happens, who has not lost a piece to a simple oversight? or who has not seen a mate because he has been blinded by his own attack? it seems obvious that two humans were playing that game, that is why i am surprised that the thread was removed. look at whites style of play, he is willing to sacrifice material for attacks, a whole knight at one point, that's not a computer, at least i dont think so. Black on the other hand, according to the free version of rybka that i did, makes less than optimal moves, sometimes not even in the top five, again, that indicates to me that it is a very human game. Anyone that insinuates anything other than that has either not looked at the game or is drawing unsubstantiated conclusions.
  13. 30 Dec '09 17:25
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    perhaps they thought, that no one shall notice, that it really was a dream, i mean, i really thought that it was a possibility that i dreamed it. you know sometimes you are just daydreaming about a position, well it can happen!
  14. 30 Dec '09 17:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you know sometimes you are just daydreaming about a position, well it can happen!
    I had that the other day. I awoke and thought "hey, why isn't that position an easy mate in 4, probably I am recalling the position wrongly". It turned out it was the correct position... and that I am going insane.
  15. 30 Dec '09 17:36
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    So your guy's strawman accusation
    Where did you read an accusation?