1. Joined
    19 May '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 16:05
    I'm just a 1442-player, so I'm asking to the guys in this site who really know chess deeply...

...as far as I can say, maybe FISCHER (for his precocity, and for the unbelievable things he's done in his short career)
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 16:08
    Originally posted by el gil
    I'm just a 1442-player, so I'm asking to the guys in this site who really know chess deeply...

...as far as I can say, maybe FISCHER (for his precocity, and for the unbelievable things he's done in his short career)
    Yeah but would he have kept the standard up?
    No one can say who is the greatest ever, kasparov, fischer and capablanca are probably the three most people go for i think. Though tal gets a lot of support from the tacticians out there.
  3. Standard memberpawntorook4
    chaotic patzer
    Campinas, SP; Brazil
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 16:39
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    Yeah but would he have kept the standard up?
    No one can say who is the greatest ever, kasparov, fischer and capablanca are probably the three most people go for i think. Though tal gets a lot of support from the tacticians out there.
    I did read an "anti-Tal" article where the author ran a bunch of Tal's games through Fritz and found that a bunch of Tal's sacrifices weren't all that sound. Still a Tal fan though.
  4. Seattle
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 16:42
    I like Alehkine, though Im positive this thread has been done countless times through-out the short time I have been here.
  5. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 18:53
    Originally posted by pawntorook4
    I did read an "anti-Tal" article where the author ran a bunch of Tal's games through Fritz and found that a bunch of Tal's sacrifices weren't all that sound. Still a Tal fan though.
    I like Korchnoi when he played Tal....Korchnoi had Tal's number
  6. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 18:58
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    I like Korchnoi when he played Tal....Korchnoi had Tal's number
    Be careful what you say......
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 19:03
    weyerstrass
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 19:07
    Tal is an amazing player. But in terms of 'best', I would look at who made the best move most often. From that perspective it's Capablanca without a doubt. In terms of ratings, it's Kasparov.

Any of those three could fairly be called 'best'. Tal, Capablanca, or Kasparov.
  9. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 19:091 edit
    Morphy, who never took the game very seriously until later in life and defeated Adolf Anderssen when he was bed ridden, and who Anderssen claimed, after their match, would defeat Staunton if they had ever faced.

Not to mention that on all accounts they say he moved twice as fast as any other pro of his time.
  10. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 19:09
    philidor 🙂
  11. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 19:09
    Originally posted by English Tal
    Be careful what you say......
    It's the truth... Tal was a good player, but against Korchnoi his results where often less then steller. Korchnoi's score against Tal is +13 -6 and 29 draws. Tal fan or not you can't argue that Korchnoi wasn't Tal's favorite person to play against.
  12. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 19:14
    Bobby Fischer on Paul Morphy

"A popularly held theory about Paul Morphy is that if he returned to the chess world today and played our best contemporary players, he would come out the loser. Nothing is further from the truth. In a set match, Morphy would beat anybody alive today.”

"Perhaps the most accurate player who ever lived, he would beat anybody today in a set-match. He had complete sight of the board and seldom blundered even though he moved quite rapidly. I've played over hundreds of his games and am continually surprised and entertained by his ingenuity"

"Paul Morphy was a great chess player, a genius... Morphy, I think everyone agrees, was probably the greatest genius of them all..."
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 19:15
    Originally posted by LordofADown
    Bobby Fischer on Paul Morphy

"A popularly held theory about Paul Morphy is that if he returned to the chess world today and played our best contemporary players, he would come out the loser. Nothing is further from the truth. In a set match, Morphy would beat anybody alive today.”

"Perhaps the most accurate player who ever lived, he would beat anyb ...[text shortened]... enius... Morphy, I think everyone agrees, was probably the greatest genius of them all..."
    interesting.. or umm.. it would be if it was said by anyone other than fischer.. the guy who thought he could refute the KG immediately after losing to it. The guy who hated jews, americans, and everyone inbetween... I don't look at him as a credible source.
  14. Joined
    30 May '07
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 19:16
    It's KARPOV...alway will be!
  15. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 19:17
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Tal is an amazing player. But in terms of 'best', I would look at who made the best move most often. From that perspective it's Capablanca without a doubt. In terms of ratings, it's Kasparov.

Any of those three could fairly be called 'best'. Tal, Capablanca, or Kasparov.
    Capa..maybe....he got real lazy later in his chess career, something Alkhine picked up on...if didn't have that problem he would be the best of all time...after all, masters couldn't even give him queen odds before he had reached 5 years old

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree