1. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 21:52
    Originally posted by krim
    i think paul morphy had the greatest potential of any chess player.

Garry Kasparov is the best in my opinion though.
    Paul Morphy was certainly some talent and was so much better than any one else around at that time that it's hard to judge exactly where he would stand on the all time list. i personally would like to have seen him play a lot more games against strong opposition. Anderssen learnt a lot from his crushing defeat to Morphy and as the years went by became a much stronger and more positionally minded player. I certainly think things would have been a lot closer had they played again.
    As for my vote of the all time best? there is only one player, ALEKHINE! to be able to do to Capablanca what he did was absoloutely amazing. prior to the WC game in 1927 Capa was considered a pretty near unbeatable chess machine. Capa was simply beaten by a better prepared mentally stronger, calculating machine. some of the endgames in the match where Alekhine slowly crushes the so called end game virtuoso were truly outstanding.
    this match along with several tournaments in the following years, Bled 1931 and san remo 1930 among them, for me make him the very best ever.
    and obviously my opinion is the only one that counts, but you're all entitled to you have your say!
  2. Joined
    05 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 22:43
    alehkhin,he's my favor ^_^

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree