Who is the best player ever?

Who is the best player ever?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eg

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by IndianaBrandon
I admire Botvinnik the most. I like going over his games. I think he would have beat Alekhine if not for WW2. I read during the rematch with Tal, Botvinnik would write "Fight" in his notebook after every move logged. The Chess version of Marvelous Marvin Hagler, it wasnt a game to Botvinnik it was war. I dont think he was the greatest, just my favorite.
Yeah Botvinnik was great.
It was very fun when he played Tal, coz Botvinnik considered chess as a war (like you said) and he deeply hated whoever sat in front of him on the other side of a chessboard: he only desired to destroy him, while Tal was such a sportsman and considered chess as a creative matter: 2 genius sat down at a table and created something beautiful by moving pieces on a board. He kept on smiling for all the game!
I'm sure Botvinnik couldn't bear him...

Moves
28 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by el gil
Yeah Botvinnik was great.
It was very fun when he played Tal, coz Botvinnik considered chess as a war (like you said) and he deeply hated whoever sat in front of him on the other side of a chessboard: he only desired to destroy him, while Tal was such a sportsman and considered chess as a creative matter: 2 genius sat down at a table and created something b ...[text shortened]... ces on a board. He kept on smiling for all the game!
I'm sure Botvinnik couldn't bear him...
would asking for the most brillant instead of the best result in a completely diferrent list of candidates?

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by tonytiger41
would asking for the most brillant instead of the best result in a completely diferrent list of candidates?
not for me. I think all top players are brilliant in at least some way.

DMM

USA

Moves
28 Jun 07

I think Viswathanan Anand is a really good player.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
30 Jun 07

who was the world champ in 1939? My father beat him. The champ was playing a local chess club in the US. He was playing 25 games at one time. My father was the only one to beat the champ. However, the champ was playing blindfolded. True story.

Y

PALMETTO

Moves
30 Jun 07

Alexander Alekhine

Don't baptise cats!!

Manchester

Moves
30 Jun 07

I have had the pleasure of sitting in on one of David Bronstiens chess talks.
To watch him explain his own moves is just staggering.
The only downside to the evening was that he ate my tuna sandwich!!

h

Moves
30 Jun 07

I have to confess to a likeing of vladimir kramnik's games especially those against kasparov and deep junior he was amazing

q

Moves
30 Jun 07

No one is better than Kasparov was or still is.
Fisher,Alekhine,Euwe,BotwinnikCapablanca the all were very good,but no one is like Kasparov.

h

Moves
30 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by quorthon
No one is better than Kasparov was or still is.
Fisher,Alekhine,Euwe,BotwinnikCapablanca the all were very good,but no one is like Kasparov.
Id tend to agree with you, but i think youd have to admit kramnik is pretty damn close he has beaten him after all in the championship match in 2000

i

Moves
30 Jun 07

Capablanca's knights
fischer's bishops
karpov's rooks
kasparov's strategy
and botvinnik's desire to win
greatest chess player of all times!

ss
higher me

lookin' at ya'

Moves
30 Jun 07

Originally posted by smw6869
who was the world champ in 1939? My father beat him. The champ was playing a local chess club in the US. He was playing 25 games at one time. My father was the only one to beat the champ. However, the champ was playing blindfolded. True story.
the bloke was probably Harry Pillsbury.he may well have been the best if he did not die at a young age.

Y

PALMETTO

Moves
01 Jul 07

Originally posted by smw6869
Alexander ALEKHINE
Born: October 31, 1892 in Moscow; died: March 24, 1946 in Ashtoryl, Portugal (but is buried in Paris).
A Russian chess player, the 4-th World Champion (1927 - 1935, 1937 - 1946), a chess theorist and literary man, the Doctor of Jurisprudence.

S

Moves
01 Jul 07

Originally posted by Yogifl
Alexander ALEKHINE
Born: October 31, 1892 in Moscow; died: March 24, 1946 in Ashtoryl, Portugal (but is buried in Paris).
A Russian chess player, the 4-th World Champion (1927 - 1935, 1937 - 1946), a chess theorist and literary man, the Doctor of Jurisprudence.

Fascist, anti-semite & alcoholic too!

eg

Moves
02 Jul 07

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
Fascist, anti-semite & alcoholic too!
well I didn't know his lifestyle at all, but I don't think that deals with his way of playing chess, or could affect it in anyway...