Who is the best player ever?

Who is the best player ever?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Moves
10 Jun 07

Capablanca
Fischer
Morphy
Pillsbury
Tal
Kasparov
Alekhine

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
11 Jun 07

Anatoli Karpov was by far the most successful pro-chess player the world has yet seen winning or taking joint first place in more top rated tournaments than any player in history. Over a period of almost 4 decades his consistency of play to the highest standard was well in excess of any other player living or dead and over a period of a total of seventeen years as a world champion on 2 ocassions proved beyond doubt that , over his 40 plus year career nobody was capable of equaling his chess accomplishments. In those terms,Anatoli Karpov is without question,the greatest chess player of all time.

STS

Moves
11 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Staunton was a great player, but ducked a match with Morphy. Such cowardice, as with Fischer's fear of Karpov, serves as automatic disqualification from the list of greatest ever.

Had Pillsbury lived longer, he would have shortened Lasker's reign at the top.

Hence:

1. Kasparov
2. Korchnoi
3. Lasker
4. Pillsbury
5. Lucena
I thought everyone knew that old chestnut about Staunton's "cowardice" in ducking a match with Morphy was the result of a manipulative schemer named Edge who stirred it up for publicity. Staunton was considered the leading european player in the mid 1840's, but was 10 years past his prime and out of practice when Morphy came along. Morphy would have undoubtedly won, Staunton knew it and politely declined, as he was a busy man with a lot of professional responsiblities.
All the hoopla was Edge's evil and self-serving influence. Anderssen was considered top dog at the time, and after Morphy bested him, playing Staunton was a moot point.
Staunton got done wrong.

STS

Moves
11 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
I thought everyone knew that old chestnut about Staunton's "cowardice" in ducking a match with Morphy was the result of a manipulative schemer named Edge who stirred it up for publicity. Staunton was considered the leading european player in the mid 1840's, but was 10 years past his prime and out of practice when Morphy came along. Morphy would have und nd after Morphy bested him, playing Staunton was a moot point.
Staunton got done wrong.
Here's a blurb from a Staunton biography:

"In 1858 Staunton was challenged to a match by Morphy, but Staunton was working on a tight schedule to publish his works on Shakespeare. His publishers would accept no breach of contract.
In 1860 he published Chess Praxis, which includes 168 pages devoted to Morphy's games. "

Writing a book paying homage to Morphy's greatness hardly seems cowardly. Give the man his due. Bobby Fischer did, when he said of Staunton:

"Playing over his games", Fischer said, "I find they are completely modern." So Staunton was actually well ahead of his time, playing in a style which would become known as the Hypermodern in the 1920s.

I
King of slow

Moves
11 Jun 07

Originally posted by RECUVIC
Anatoli Karpov was by far the most successful pro-chess player the world has yet seen winning or taking joint first place in more top rated tournaments than any player in history. Over a period of almost 4 decades his consistency of play to the highest standard was well in excess of any other player living or dead and over a period of a total of seventeen ye ...[text shortened]... hments. In those terms,Anatoli Karpov is without question,the greatest chess player of all time.
It's actually a tragedy for Karpov that he was never able to meet Fischer for the World Championship. In recently reading a book about the Fischer - Spassky match, it was rumored (and tacitly confirmed by Karpov) that Karpov convincingly won a secret training match with Spassky prior to Spassky's WC match with Fischer.

Beating Fischer in a WC match would probably have cemented Karpov's rep as an all-time great player. Much as I love Fischer's game, I often wonder if he really would have handled Karpov as easily as most US chess fans seem to think. Without that match, we were left with Karpov beating up mostly on his older, past their prime, countrymen. That makes it hard to get a good read on his strength.

I think the other thing that works against Karpov's rep is that his style is so dry and clinical. People want Evergreen Games and Games of the Century. When all you do is consistently beat or draw eveyone who sits down across from you for decades without fireworks, it works against your image.

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
12 Jun 07

This was of course Karpovs only flaw,his ability to play as brilliantly as any player living or dead but by doing so in such a cold technically correct manner with some ,but few obvious fireworks he failed to give the total impression of an entertainer as well as great champion and player!Great champions are now expected not only to be great players but also great performers on and off the stage!Karpovs personality prevented such a showmanship attitude,not his correct play! However none of this changes the fact that as the most successful player of all time he can more than anyone justly claim to have been the best player in the history of chess,based entirely on his unrivaled results,unmatched by anyone at anytime.[perhaps appearing to be dry and boring to some people],but such people did not actually really know Karpov or understand the sheer brilliance of his play.-------------------------

RS

Under ur ChessBoard!

Moves
12 Jun 07

he failed to give the total impression of an entertainer
I disagree, he is a chess player, not someone running for a beauty contest. If it wasn't for him you wouldn't have players like Kramnik, who used to keep a collection of Karpov's games next to his bed.

p

Moves
12 Jun 07

Anatoli Karpov was by far the most successful pro-chess player the world has yet seen winning or taking joint first place in more top rated tournaments than any player in history. Over a period of almost 4 decades his consistency of play to the highest standard was well in excess of any other player living or dead and over a period of a total of seventeen ye ...[text shortened]... hments. In those terms,Anatoli Karpov is without question,the greatest chess player of all time.
Crazy when Kasparov beat him so often. Kasparov was way off his peak when he beat Karpov for the first time.

Capablanca lost far less than Karpov and did not have the mighty Soviet machine helping him. At his peak he was far better than his peers.

Karpov had a lazier openings work than even Capa and was lucky to have the best support ever given to a GM relative to his opposition.

When Karpov was Champ their was a real drop in standards. Thats why Tal and Korchnoi did so well even though they were old.

w

Happy village

Moves
12 Jun 07
1 edit

The best chess player ever is mrs. Hydra, running on 64 processors with an estimated 3000+ ELO 😛

STS

Moves
12 Jun 07

the best chess player of all time is me after I get about six drinks in me. i nevar lose an if I do lose it's because I been drinkin' so there.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
12 Jun 07

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
the best chess player of all time is me after I get about six drinks in me. i nevar lose an if I do lose it's because I been drinkin' so there.
What a sham

eg

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by Restless Soul
I disagree, he is a chess player, not someone running for a beauty contest. If it wasn't for him you wouldn't have players like Kramnik, who used to keep a collection of Karpov's games next to his bed.
yeah... but like Fischer used to say: "The best move to make, is not the one who's just the best, but the one who is the best and looks like a bad one."

Karpov always made the first, the one the chessbook would suggest; while Kasparov always tried to find out the second: that's why he won most of their matches, and that's why I'd pick Garry as the undisputed greatest player of our times.

S

Moves
19 Jun 07

1.Morphy
2.Kasparov
3.Fischer
4.Alekhine
5.Tal

Moves
27 Jun 07

The best player is Daemon Sin. His crazy skills made a 3000+ rated player resign before the first move😲 Game 2513262 and Game 2512839 😵😛

I

Moves
28 Jun 07

I admire Botvinnik the most. I like going over his games. I think he would have beat Alekhine if not for WW2. I read during the rematch with Tal, Botvinnik would write "Fight" in his notebook after every move logged. The Chess version of Marvelous Marvin Hagler, it wasnt a game to Botvinnik it was war. I dont think he was the greatest, just my favorite.