Who is the best player ever?

Who is the best player ever?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
07 Jun 07

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Staunton was a great player, but ducked a match with Morphy. Such cowardice, as with Fischer's fear of Karpov, serves as automatic disqualification from the list of greatest ever.

Had Pillsbury lived longer, he would have shortened Lasker's reign at the top.

Hence:

1. Kasparov
2. Korchnoi
3. Lasker
4. Pillsbury
5. Lucena
Didnt Lasker "duck" Rubenstein when Akiba was tearing it up back in the 1909-1914 period?

R

Moves
07 Jun 07

Curt von Bardeleben 😉.

i

Moves
07 Jun 07

i know the answer....chess i so complete and complicated youll never know..

J

Cavan, Ireland

Moves
07 Jun 07

i think i should be in and around the top
i'm a tactical genious
look at my first 3 games on this site alone
talk about covering your attacks til the last second

K

Moves
08 Jun 07

Originally posted by John1916
i think i should be in and around the top
i'm a tactical genious
look at my first 3 games on this site alone
talk about covering your attacks til the last second
Maybe you should figure out your opponents ratings 😛

i

Moves
08 Jun 07

Originally posted by Kippy
lol...yes

MR

Moves
08 Jun 07

Originally posted by Kippy
Naw, opponents' ratings don't matter. The scholar's mate would crush Kramnik like a bug!

g

Moves
08 Jun 07

Originally posted by mcreynolds
Didnt Lasker "duck" Rubenstein when Akiba was tearing it up back in the 1909-1914 period?
Lasker avoided Rubenstein and Tarrasch. Tarrasch had insulted Lasker and Lasker wanted to bring more income to chess players. Rubenstein missed out on a title match because he could not get the funds for a title match. Rubenstein missing out was for the over all good of chess players. I am sure that Lasker was not trying to keep the title by not playing Rubenstein. It is a shame but it had to be done.

MR

Moves
08 Jun 07

Originally posted by gambit3
Lasker avoided Rubenstein and Tarrasch. Tarrasch had insulted Lasker and Lasker wanted to bring more income to chess players. Rubenstein missed out on a title match because he could not get the funds for a title match. Rubenstein missing out was for the over all good of chess players. I am sure that Lasker was not trying to keep the title by not playing Rubenstein. It is a shame but it had to be done.
I'm not really up on my Rubinstein history, but didn't World War I interrupt the planned 1914 Lasker-Rubinstein match?

g

Moves
08 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Mad Rook
I'm not really up on my Rubinstein history, but didn't World War I interrupt the planned 1914 Lasker-Rubinstein match?
My understanding is that Rubenstein could not fund a World Chess Title Match. The World Wars messed up the lives of a lot of people and events. P.S. World War 2 messed up the strongest Saint Louis Cardinals Baseball team ever?

MR

Moves
08 Jun 07

Originally posted by gambit3
My understanding is that Rubenstein could not fund a World Chess Title Match. The World Wars messed up the lives of a lot of people and events. P.S. World War 2 messed up the strongest Saint Louis Cardinals Baseball team ever?
I just checked Wikipedia (yes, I know, anybody can contribute to Wikipedia). I still don't know the details, but according to Wikipedia, we're both right. 🙂

Moves
08 Jun 07

Originally posted by el gil
mm I'm not so sure Bobby was scared of Karpov:

maybe he only lost his head, after the "Reykyavik War" against Spasskij... since the childhood, Fischer used to behave like a primadonna, a kind of naughty boy, coz he suffered from Ashberger syndrome... so I've always considered his sudden disappearance from the pro-tournaments as an act of insanity, a kind ...[text shortened]... e, he wasn't such a great sportsman: on that side, at least, Boris was much better than him
I think Fischer was a little intimidated with Karpov. Karpov isn't easily bullied with psyche tactics, whereas Spaasky was easily flustered.

eg

Moves
08 Jun 07

Originally posted by jvanhine
i know the answer....chess i so complete and complicated youll never know..
you may be right...

I think I've posed the question in a stupid way, since you cannot compare a XIX-century player with a modern one, there're too many differences between their periods...But maybe we can pick the best player for each period, the best among his contemporaries...
Steinitz; Capablanca; Botvinnik; Fischer; Kasparov. (...Kramnik?)

f

Atlanta

Moves
10 Jun 07

If you run the games of any player with a modern program, you will find that NOT ONE OF THEM plays soundly. Soundness is a terrible criteria for determining who was the best World Champions, since it doesn't and can't prove that a "more accurate player" would have beaten Tal.

f

Atlanta

Moves
10 Jun 07

Originally posted by el gil
you may be right...

I think I've posed the question in a stupid way, since you cannot compare a XIX-century player with a modern one, there're too many differences between their periods...But maybe we can pick the best player for each period, the best among his contemporaries...
Steinitz; Capablanca; Botvinnik; Fischer; Kasparov. (...Kramnik?)
Sure you can. You can compare anything and do so persuasively and intelligently. The problem is that most of us suffer from contemporary-itis. We assume that what is current is the best, and only concede that older players MIGHT have been stronger with "modern techniques" but that you really can't say. Well, lets eliminate contemporary bias and go the other direction in time. What if a late 20th century World Champion had no mentor and no books, how would he fare against, say Morphy? Well, Morphy played at a contemporary GM level chess with that "handicap" according to Keene's study. How in heck did Morphy learn to play that well competely on his own? I doubt that a single modern World Champion would have been able to defeat him under those "handicaps". Perhaps Steinitz (because he was able to develop positional rules from studying Morphy's games, Tal (if his tactical vision was natural like Morphy's and not learned from books) and Fischer (because he learned alone) would have stood a chance against Morphy.