Who is the best player ever?

Who is the best player ever?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ss
higher me

lookin' at ya'

Moves
02 Jul 07

Originally posted by Yogifl
Alexander ALEKHINE
Born: October 31, 1892 in Moscow; died: March 24, 1946 in Ashtoryl, Portugal (but is buried in Paris).
A Russian chess player, the 4-th World Champion (1927 - 1935, 1937 - 1946), a chess theorist and literary man, the Doctor of Jurisprudence.

the only reining world champion to die with title.😉

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
02 Jul 07

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
Fascist, anti-semite & alcoholic too!
Alekhine have written some anti-semitic articles during Nazi occupation, but it was not his own conviction.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
02 Jul 07

Originally posted by Korch
Alekhine have written some anti-semitic articles during Nazi occupation, but it was not his own conviction.
I think that nobody knows that for sure. I've read some things on the internet. Some say he was a sure nazi, others say that he wasn't. So if people that studied the case can have such diamaterically opposed opinions i think that it's not easy for us to know. By the way why do you say that?

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
02 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by adam warlock
I think that nobody knows that for sure. I've read some things on the internet. Some say he was a sure nazi, others say that he wasn't. So if people that studied the case can have such diamaterically opposed opinions i think that it's not easy for us to know. By the way why do you say that?
I cant believe that Alekhine believed to Nazi doctrine which see`s him (as all Russians & other Slav nations) as inferior person.
But its only my opinion

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
02 Jul 07

I cant believe that Alekhine believed to Nazi doctrine which see`s him (as all Russians & other Slav nations) as inferior person.
But its only my opinion
I see your point. But Hitler was a descendent of Jews and had nothing in commom with what he called the Arian Race.
But I think we'll never know the truth regarding Alekhine.

Y

Moves
02 Jul 07

Garry Kasparov Best ever ever player! Kramnik best with black....

eg

Moves
03 Jul 07

But its only my opinion
Of course. And also: we cannot compare our sense of History, our perception of the monstrosity of Nazism (in 2007), with the one that a persong living inside Nazism could have. In 1934, it wasn't agreed or recognised at all that Nazism was a bad thing, and Alekhine was just a person of his epoque...

...just as we do; we consider our way of living as good, but probably we'll be remembered as criminals by our sons, for having destroyed the planet and the whole nature with our pollution, and without giving a damn about it

STS

Moves
03 Jul 07

Alekhine claimed he never wrote those anti-semitic articles about the inferiority of "Jewish chess", after he died they searched his personal effects and found the manuscripts in his own handwriting.
Alekhine was an opportunist that advanced himself whenever he could and used any means neccessary. He married three very old rich ladies that could support his chess habit, why not side with Germany while they were winning ?
Great chess player, but not a nice man. He died alone and friendless.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
03 Jul 07

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Alekhine claimed he never wrote those anti-semitic articles about the inferiority of "Jewish chess", after he died they searched his personal effects and found the manuscripts in his own handwriting.
Alekhine was an opportunist that advanced himself whenever he could and used any means neccessary. He married three very old rich ladies that could su ...[text shortened]... they were winning ?
Great chess player, but not a nice man. He died alone and friendless.
I tend to agree.

a

Moves
26 Jun 08
2 edits

Alekhine was Great player and it enough for his respect like chess master. I like Tal's creativity and Poul Morphy's pure games. I don't know who is best. If we are speaking about results, may be Gary was Best. But my father told me : " Be simple man and people will respect you". And for me best player is David Bronstein.

S

Moves
26 Jun 08

Originally posted by el gil
I'm just a 1442-player, so I'm asking to the guys in this site who really know chess deeply...

...as far as I can say, maybe FISCHER (for his precocity, and for the unbelievable things he's done in his short career)
Fischer is nothing compared to the legendary Ronald Weyerstrass 😉

K

Hollow earth

Moves
26 Jun 08

The best ever is impossible to say for me.Here's my top 10 in random order:
1.Morphy
2.Alekhine
3.Rubinstein
4.Capablanca
5.Bronstein
6.Tal
7.Steinitz
8.Petrosjan
9.Lasker
10.Fischer

Pretty much the usual suspects I guess 🙂

A

Sub 1500

Moves
26 Jun 08

i'll take kramnik, kasparov, and reti
each for their own reasons of course, but to chess these men have made monsterous leaps.

b

Moves
27 Jun 08

Best all time 10

1 Kasparov
2 Fisher
3 Capablanca
4 Karpov
5 Alekhine
6 Anand
7 Tal
8 Ivanchuk
9 Bronstein
10 Kramnik

A

Moves
27 Jun 08
4 edits

Originally posted by el gil
I'm just a 1442-player, so I'm asking to the guys in this site who really know chess deeply...

...as far as I can say, maybe FISCHER (for his precocity, and for the unbelievable things he's done in his short career)
Emmanuel Lasker

He defended positions in games lesser Men who didn't have his fighting spirit would have cracked under the pressure his game against Napier at Cambridge Springs 1904 is one of the profound and difficult games ever study it some time.