1. New Jersey
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 14:55
    I keep 20-30 games going. Use the notes function to keep my train of thought between moves. Actually post move sequences so that I do a deep analysis every 3-4 moves and blitz otherwise.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 23:29
    Originally posted by tvochess
    That's actually a valuable rule of thumb. But even with my usually about 6 games ongoing, I can't remember more than a few moves deep in the past. Maybe it's because I prefer the slower 7/7 games, but I can't keep up with a faster pace. I used to play 3/7, but then I started thinking. 😉

Any opinions on how important it is to remember past moves?
    I don't think it's vital to remember your past moves too much. That's fine for OTB chess, where one has no books to consult during play, but correspondence players have the advantage of a slower time control, and permission to consult books or the internet for move ideas. If you need to see your past moves, you only have to look at your game log.
  3. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 15:092 edits
    When you have 20 games at the same time, you don't have to play the 20 in the same day, maybe you just have 5 or 7 games in your turn.
    -
    if you have 6 games, you are going to do 1 or 2 moves a day.... boring!!.
    -
    This is because not all players move at the same time rate.
    -
    free fast players like me, have to play in many chess websites in order to have a serious combined load of 20-30 games.
    -
    RHP allows 6, itsyourturn 20 (but just 20 moves at day), gameknot 6 simultaneous games, etc...etc...
    -
    the point is when you open with your browser or app a chess site you would like to find a game waiting for your move...
  4. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 16:19
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    When you have 20 games at the same time, you don't have to play the 20 in the same day, maybe you just have 5 or 7 games in your turn.
    -
    if you have 6 games, you are going to do 1 or 2 moves a day.... boring!!.
    -
    This is because not all players move at the same time rate.
    -
    free fast players like me, have to play in many chess websites in order to ha ...[text shortened]... pen with your browser or app a chess site you would like to find a game waiting for your move...
    I don't get were your coming from with your last post. You seem to defend the idea of playing lots of games, but your not an RHP subscriber.
  5. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 17:062 edits
    Originally posted by Steve45
    I don't get were your coming from with your last post. You seem to defend the idea of playing lots of games, but your not an RHP subscriber.
    but I was... and I will be... maybe...(I am thinking of pay here or gameknot.... 1 year)
    -
    The point is if you are 'free' player, you have to open many accounts in the chess servers,
    -
    now my highest load in RHP was 70 games, but only in a typical day I had to move in 20 of that games.
    -
    now with 1000 games.... well I just don't know how to prioritize, maybe just playing 2 o 3 openings?
    -
    or playing first the games with more moves, or playing the recent moved???
    -
    I think 20 games for me (here and in other web sites) are ok.
    -
    100 is for me a nightmare
    -
    now just 1 or 2 games is really boring.... this means wait 3-4 days for your turn.
  6. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 18:07
    but I was... and I will be... maybe...(I am thinking of pay here or gameknot.... 1 year)
    -
    The point is if you are 'free' player, you have to open many accounts in the chess servers,
    -
    now my highest load in RHP was 70 games, but only in a typical day I had to move in 20 of that games.
    -
    now with 1000 games.... well I just don't know how to prioritiz ...[text shortened]... nightmare
    -
    now just 1 or 2 games is really boring.... this means wait 3-4 days for your turn.
    Yes I agree with you. Six Isnt many and more than twenty becomes a struggle for me too.
  7. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 19:26
    Not that I intend to advertise for another website, but I think chess.com offers unlimited games without subscription. Anyway, I have played there for a while, RHP is better and I don't need any more than about 6 games.
  8. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 19:43
    now it seems RHP allows 12 simultaneous games, for free players.
    -
    but RHP has the forums....

this is the key.
  9. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 09:45
    I used to play about 70-100 games at once. But I was around 1600 level. Now I maximum with 20-25 games and my level has increased to 1800+ so shows that quality over quantity.
  10. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 11:251 edit
    I don't think this is such a big problem provided that you play a limited, less tactical repertoire with solid time controls. I pretty much play QGA, CK and London System 99% of the time, so the non-sub max of 12 actually helps my pattern recognition with these games plus the heterodox sidelines and unpleasant transpositions that crop up. Excellent as all Russ's additions have been, I think the notes box is too small to really help continuity over a 30-40 move game, and in some ways it's helpful as a method to force yourself to look at each game afresh, as a static image, every 7 days or so.

Zorro, though, he's a chess divinity, or Doctor Octopus. In addition to his one billion current sub games he's probably on a dripfeed receiving ubiquity infusions while he plays FRC in a park with the aid of a Mikhail Tal hand and at least twenty-five prehensile pseudopods.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 08:13
    Originally posted by Amaurote
    I don't think this is such a big problem provided that you play a limited, less tactical repertoire with solid time controls. I pretty much play QGA, CK and London System 99% of the time, so the non-sub max of 12 actually helps my pattern recognition with these games plus the heterodox sidelines and unpleasant transpositions that crop up. Excellent as all R ...[text shortened]... FRC in a park with the aid of a Mikhail Tal hand and at least twenty-five prehensile pseudopods.
    I'm playing Zorro at present. His heavy game load of over 1,000 matches running means that he only moves in our games once a week. This has led to time dragging out of course. Frustrating to us "normal" players with 10-20 games going!
  12. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    12 Jul '15 00:46
    now it seems RHP allows 12 simultaneous games, for free players.
    -
    but RHP has the forums....

this is the key.
    Do you get adverts popping up when your a Non Subscriber?
  13. SubscriberAspasia
    Old Frog
    Elysium
    Moves
    12 Jul '15 11:32
    Hi - I´m here since 7 years or so - had more than 300 current games until 2014, now between 130 and 160. NO TIMEOUT since then (more than 8000 games finished). The "secret" is: timeouts 7/7 and higher...
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Jul '15 18:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Jul '15 18:24
    Originally posted by Steve45
    Do you get adverts popping up when your a Non Subscriber?
    Adverts on the page, yes (there's one above the box I'm typing this in). Pop-ups, definitely not, and I'd ditch RHP the second I got one. I do not need that s%!t when I'm trying(!) to think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree