1. Joined
    15 Mar '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '05 02:45
    You have a bag with 50 balls in it. 25 of the balls are white, and 25 are black. You draw two balls from the bag at a time. You don't know what color the balls are until you have removed them from the bag. If you draw two white balls, or two black balls, you place a white ball in the bag. If the draw is two balls of different color, you place a black ball in the bag. What is the color of the last ball in the bag? If you start with n white balls, and n black balls, when is the last ball white, and when is the last ball black?
  2. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '05 05:37
    how disappointing...the title says colored balls and i was looking forward to it, and then its only black and white balls which arent colors. ill give the problem a thought though 😛
  3. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    09 Sep '05 08:12
    Just a guestimate: if n=even, you end with a white ball, if n= odd you end with a black ball, as in the case with 25 white and 25 black balls.
  4. Joined
    15 Mar '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '05 18:14
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Just a guestimate: if n=even, you end with a white ball, if n= odd you end with a black ball, as in the case with 25 white and 25 black balls.
    Very good. You are quite a problem solver. If anyone is interested in Mephisto's logic, PM me, and I'll give you the answer.
  5. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    09 Sep '05 19:12
    Originally posted by rheymans
    Very good. You are quite a problem solver. If anyone is interested in Mephisto's logic, PM me, and I'll give you the answer.
    Just messing around with this...if you let the number of balls be different, say "n" black balls and "m" white balls, it turns out that the final colour depends only on the oddness/evenness (parity) of "n", the number of black balls. Interesting!
  6. Joined
    15 Mar '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '05 00:30
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Just messing around with this...if you let the number of balls be different, say "n" black balls and "m" white balls, it turns out that the final colour depends only on the oddness/evenness (parity) of "n", the number of black balls. Interesting!
    Yes, that is right. The white balls are pretty much a distraction in this problem.
  7. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    10 Sep '05 20:12
    COLOUR
    COLOURS
    COLOURED
  8. Earth Prime
    Moves
    10 Sep '05 20:42
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    COLOUR
    COLOURS
    COLOURED
    NO
    NOPE
    UH-UH
  9. Joined
    15 Mar '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '05 02:02
    COLOUR
    COLOURS
    COLOURED
    Seems like a waste of a perfectly good "U". Don't you think? 😉
  10. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    13 Sep '05 00:481 edit
    You have a bag with 50 balls in it. 25 of the balls are white, and 25 are black. You draw two balls from the bag at a time. You don't know what color the balls are until you have removed them from the bag. If you draw two white balls, or two black balls, you place a white ball in the bag. If the draw is two balls of different color, you place a black ...[text shortened]... n white balls, and n black balls, when is the last ball white, and when is the last ball black?
    This problem might not be properly stated.

1) What if you draw one black and one white ball ?

2) Is there a separate bag ?

3) Are black and white really colors?
  11. Joined
    15 Mar '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '05 02:50
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    This problem might not be properly stated.

This is the case when the two balls are different colors.

No.

Although it is not important, if it means so much to you, call them red, and green balls instead of black, and white. In any case, if you went to a paint store, and you asked for what colors they have available, I'm sure that black, and white would be mentioned. I would like to read a sentence that uses black, or white as an adjective, and said adjective does not imply the color of what it describes.
  12. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    13 Sep '05 03:25
    Although it is not important, if it means so much to you, call them red, and green balls instead of black, and white. In any case, if you went to a paint store, and you asked for what colors they have available, I'm sure that black, and white would be mentioned. I would like to read a sentence that uses black, or white as an adjective, and said adjective does not imply the color of what it describes.
    Good point.
  13. Joined
    15 Mar '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '05 03:46
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    Good point.
    Thank you.
  14. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    13 Sep '05 16:05
    Seems like a waste of a perfectly good "U". Don't you think? 😉
    No.

American: flashlight

English: torch

Letters saved: 5
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    13 Sep '05 16:122 edits
    No.

American: flashlight

English: torch

Letters saved: 5
    Ambiguity added. A torch to an American is a flame on a stick. The American term avoids ambiguity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree