Colored balls in a bag

Colored balls in a bag

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
25 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by eldragonfly
Why? Since you couldn't see the original problem statement was in error, i'm pretty sure you would also have problems with simple words, ideas and concepts. Thanks for proving almost anyone at all with a keyboard can be a sadly misinformed witless "hooligan." 🙄
I proved this by letting you talk.

Funny, the original problem was stated with simple words, and it was a relatively simple concept. I noticed that, out of all the solvers, only you complained about the wording of the problem.

So, it comes down to a simple choice: I can believe that everyone else is lying about understanding the problem, or I can believe that you are an incompetent chucklehead that probably couldn't find the solution to a problem if it was tatooed on your ass. You are like a small child demanding to be spoon-fed all the particulars in painstaking detail so that you don't have to do any thinking about them.

I have yet to see you solve jack shit on here - so unless you can prove me wrong, I will discount you as a mindless troll that has no real interest in actually solving a puzzle on this forum.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
25 Sep 05

No, you are mistaken.

1) last two balls could be black - last ball = black

2) last two balls could be white - last ball = white

3) last two balls could be black and white - last ball = black.

4) clearly, there is no solution.
This is almost correct.

1) Last 3 balls are 2 black and 1 white.

2) draw 2 black balls, replace 1 white.

3) draw 2 white balls replace 1 white.

4) Last ball is white.

or

1) Last 3 balls are 2 black and 1 white

2) draw 1 black and 1 white ball, replace 1 black ball.

3) draw 2 black balls, replace 1 white ball.

4) Last ball is white.

Same reasoning holds for 1 white and 2 black balls.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
26 Sep 05

This is almost correct.

1) Last 3 balls are 2 black and 1 white.

2) draw 2 black balls, replace 1 white.

3) draw 2 white balls replace 1 white.

4) Last ball is white.

or

1) Last 3 balls are 2 black and 1 white

2) draw 1 black and 1 white ball, replace 1 black ball.

3) draw 2 black balls, replace 1 white ball.

4) Last ball is white.

Same reasoning holds for 1 white and 2 black balls.
However this is also in error. My initial assumption was correct. There is no solution as the problem is stated.

Take the case of 3 black and 1 white balls.

1) draw 1 black and 1 white return the black ball.

2) Now you have 3 black balls.

3) draw 2 black balls. remove the 2 black balls and return 1 white ball.

4) Now you have 1 black and 1 white ball.

5) draw 1 black and 1 white ball, return 1 black ball.

6) Last ball is now a black ball.

7) Obviously there is no solution as the last ball can either be black or white.

M

Moves
26 Sep 05

However this is also in error. My initial assumption was correct. There is no solution as the problem is stated.

Take the case of 3 black and 1 white balls.

1) draw 1 black and 1 white return the black ball.

2) Now you have 3 black balls.

3) draw 2 black balls. remove the 2 black balls and return 1 white ball.

4) Now you have 1 black and ...[text shortened]... ball.

7) Obviously [b]there is no solution
as the last ball can either be black or white.[/b]
To come closer to the problem stated, try 1 black and 1 white as a starting position, then try 2 black and 2 white, then try 3 black and 3 white, then .... up to 25 black and 25 white (and higher up to n > 25 if you have lots of spare time). Perhaps even you will find a pattern. Once done that, perhaps (I said PERHAPS, with a great deal of unbelief) you will understand that the problem
a) was adequately stated
and
b) has a solution

You will feel the excitment of having confirmed empirically the solution (stated by others) that obviously you are not able to find.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
26 Sep 05

Originally posted by Mephisto2
To come closer to the problem stated, try 1 black and 1 white as a starting position, then try 2 black and 2 white, then try 3 black and 3 white, then .... up to 25 black and 25 white (and higher up to n > 25 if you have lots of spare time). Perhaps even you will find a pattern. Once done that, perhaps (I said PERHAPS, with a great deal of unbelief) you wi ...[text shortened]... g confirmed empirically the solution (stated by others) that obviously you are not able to find.
i just showed that there clearly is no solution. i can show how these results can be arrived at, ie. 2 black and 1 white/1 black and 2 white/3 black and 1 white.

In the alternative show how my reasoning is flawed instead of looking at just one subset of the problem.

The problem says to start with 25 black and 25 white balls and go from there. Either admit defeat or i will take it to a science newsgroup to show that i am right. 😛

M

Moves
26 Sep 05

i just showed that there clearly is no solution. i can show how these results can be arrived at, ie. 2 black and 1 white/1 black and 2 white/3 black and 1 white.

In the alternative [b]show how my reasoning is flawed
instead of looking at just one subset of the problem.

The problem says to start with 25 black and 25 white balls and go from there. Either admit defeat or i will take it to a science newsgroup to show that i am right. 😛[/b]
The problem was stated for equal amounts of black and white balls in general, and for 25 white and 25 black balls in particular. You have not shown, or even made an attemp to show, anything regarding the stated problem.

Please do take this to a science newsgroup. And please, PLEASE, let us know how it goes. I wouldn't want to miss this.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
26 Sep 05

Originally posted by Mephisto2
The problem was stated for equal amounts of black and white balls in general, and for 25 white and 25 black balls in particular. You have not shown, or even made an attemp to show, anything regarding the stated problem.

Please do take this to a science newsgroup. And please, PLEASE, let us know how it goes. I wouldn't want to miss this.
So i goofed. Sue me baby. 🙁

M

Moves
26 Sep 05

Now you are making sense.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
26 Sep 05

LOL. That's the understatement of the year.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
27 Sep 05

Next problem kids.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
27 Sep 05

Next problem kids.
I recommend the thread "first move of bK?" -- if you're up to it.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
29 Sep 05

Next problem kids.
Next problem:
How can you be so stupid?

Moves
29 Sep 05

Could this be the funniest thread ever posted?
Is this eldragonfly for real?
Why is he so obsessed with the idea of two black balls?
Who determines whether black or white is a colour?
Is our planet being overrun with alien balls and surplus sacks?
Why is Mr. T afraid to fly?
Can anyone here lick their own elbow?

So many questions........(I just want to hear more from eldragonfly, what a legend 😀 )

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
30 Sep 05

Well, I, for one, would rather be thought of by many as an idiot, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt 🙂

Now who was it that originally said that?

M

Moves
30 Sep 05

Originally posted by Suzianne
Well, I, for one, would rather be thought of by many as an idiot, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt 🙂

Now who was it that originally said that?
Matt Fork (about adoption issues)?