20 Sep '05 07:46
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    1) bag with 50 balls in it - 25 black, 25 white

2) random selection

3) 2 alt = black 2 same = white

4) you place a white/black ball in the bag depending on selection

So several questions come to mind.

1) Where do the balls come from that are placed "in the bag?"

2) Is it the same bag or a different bag?

3) Do these "place in the b ...[text shortened]... e what color it might be.

If this is too complicated for you to understand - let me know. 🙄
    Now I understand. Then surely the solution must be that the butler did it, and Russ is covering up for him. Very, very tricky ....
  2. Earth Prime
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 15:00
    From your shoddy definition it appears that the bag with 50 balls will just keep growing in size, ie., ad infinitum. So there won't be any "last" ball, let alone what color it might be.
    Yes because (50 - 2 + 1) > 50 right?
  3. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 16:04
    ...let alone what color it might be.
    Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle defies us to know.
  4. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 18:47
    Originally posted by Coconut
    Yes because (50 - 2 + 1) > 50 right?
    No. If you continue to draw 2 balls of the same color, then you are going to keep adding one white ball to the initial bag of 25/25 black/white marbles, a white ball from some magical imaginary other source. Therefore it is beyond obvious that some of the rather sloppy assertions as stated here are meaningless and absurd.
  5. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 18:50
    No. If you continue to draw 2 balls of the same color, then you are going to keep adding one white ball to the initial bag of 25/25 black/white marbles, a white ball from some magical imaginary other source. Therefore it is beyond obvious that some of the rather sloppy assertions as stated here are meaningless and absurd.
    I'm going to admit it - I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Little help?
  6. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 19:05
    The game is over after 49 draws, regardless of what colours are picked. Worst case is that you need 24 additional white balls in the 'imaginery source' - which b.t.w. could be where you keep them to play the game wit n much higher than 25.
  7. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 20:23
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    The game is over after 49 draws, regardless of what colours are picked. Worst case is that you need 24 additional white balls in the 'imaginery source' - which b.t.w. could be where you keep them to play the game wit n much higher than 25.
    Not if your initial pick is two black balls, and you keep making the same pick. Your bag of black and white balls will keep growing ad infinitum. Nice try.
  8. Earth Prime
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 20:25
    Not if your initial pick is two black balls, and you keep making the same pick. Your bag of black and white balls will keep growing ad infinitum. Nice try.
    Take 2 out LEAVE THEM OUT put one in you %(*^@*&^$#@^$^#@^*&^&$#@^&^%#@*$^(#@^*%*&@#
  9. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    20 Sep '05 21:07
    You can pick 12 times two black balls, so no ad infinitum there. Anyway, whatever you pick, the number of balls, after picking 2 and putting one back, diminishes by one. After 49 picks, there is only one ball left, the one you put back in.

If you still want to maintain your position, then you can only be admitred for being extremely stubborn. Stubborn and stupid makes a nice alliteration too.
  10. Joined
    15 Mar '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '05 03:00
    1) bag with 50 balls in it - 25 black, 25 white

2) random selection

3) 2 alt = black 2 same = white

4) you place a white/black ball in the bag depending on selection

So several questions come to mind.

1) Where do the balls come from that are placed "in the bag?"

2) Is it the same bag or a different bag?

3) Do these "place in the b ...[text shortened]... e what color it might be.

If this is too complicated for you to understand - let me know. 🙄
    Why are you getting hung up on such irrelevant details? This whole problem is hypothetical. It is not a documentary, so yes, everything about it is imaginary, including the source of the balls that replace the balls that are drawn. There is just one bag, the original bag. The source of the balls that replace the ones that are drawn is irrelevant. It's there to make the problem interesting, and consistent. If the only source of balls were the original bag itself, then yes, there would be problem cases when you run out of white balls outside of the bag, and you start drawing paired black balls. The "Place in the bag" balls do not have to come from the same bag. They can come from anywhere as long as the condition that if you remove paired balls of the same color, you replace the pair with one white ball. Mephisto already put the reason why the drawing process cannot go on forever more elegantly, and clearly than I can, so I won't bother explaining why this process won't go on ad infinitum. I hope this clears things up.
  11. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 01:171 edit
    Originally posted by Coconut
    Take 2 out LEAVE THEM OUT put one in..
    Ahhh...now we're getting somewhere. At least you finally admit your initial definition was severely flawed. i also assumed you possibly meant to take two out and replace with a coloured ball, depending on selection, but you never made it explicit or clear. i asked you several times to clean it up, now this childish nonsense. Speaks volumes.
  12. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 02:011 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Earth Prime
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 04:30
    Ahhh...now we're getting somewhere. At least you finally admit your initial definition was severely flawed. i also assumed you possibly meant to take two out and replace with a coloured ball, depending on selection, but you never made it explicit or clear. i asked you several times to clean it up, now this childish nonsense. Speaks volumes.
    now this childish nonsense

huh? You're the one being a jackass and playing 'dumb' when anyone with .15435426 of a brain would not be the slightest bit confused about what you are whining over.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 16:29
    Coconut isn't even the one who posted the problem. If you're going to troll, at least direct it at the right person.
  15. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 16:41
    I know "Duracell" are good batteries, but am I alone in believing the makers cannot justify their price?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree