1. weedhopper
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 02:17
    Since the universe is expanding, there must be a point at which one could call the Edge of the Universe, right? Granted, that boundry would change every moment (since it's always expanding at a fantastic rate), but still, at a given point in time, one should be able to say "Right here IS the edge of the universe." My question is what is on the other side of the edge? Foesn't "something" HAVE to be there? Might it be the dark matter or dark energy? Or some bizarre group of sub-atomic particles I've only recently heard of (thanks to this forum and the very intelligent people who frequent it)? The strangest answer I've heard is some sort of parallel opposite universe. Anyone have a conjecture?
  2. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 02:21
    Not real sure on this one...the expansion rate is huge...but I think eventually it will all come back together again or something.

These are ideas we toss around in my astronomy class

Good question though!

Dave
  3. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 02:28
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Since the universe is expanding, there must be a point at which one could call the Edge of the Universe, right? Granted, that boundry would change every moment (since it's always expanding at a fantastic rate), but still, at a given point in time, one should be able to say "Right here IS the edge of the universe." My question is what is on the other side ...[text shortened]... answer I've heard is some sort of parallel opposite universe. Anyone have a conjecture?
    An interesting question. In answer to this it is very relevant to look at relativity and in particular the space/time and the gravitational lensing of matter. Matter bends space/time. So if you think about the early universe (
  4. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 02:30
    Something funny just happened to the rest of my post, swallowed up by the ether and I can't be bothered to re-type it.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 03:01
    I think the answer to that question lies in the idea of higher or extra dimensions. The universe IS space so if there are only the dimensions we know, there is nothing for it to expand into. If there are extra dimensions, that gives a framework for an expansion.
    I think that argues for extra dimensions, but it seems like a circular argument. Without extra dimensions, what would our universe be expanding into? There are conjectures about our universe being the other end of a black hole, which makes sense in a way. It would say that black holes can create new universes and if so the universe is full of other universes all expanding in their dimensional framework. Something like that could go on ad infinitum, a black hole within a black hole within a black hole, etc. That would also argue for extra dimensions.
  6. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 03:48
    Yeah but if a black hole is connected toa white hole then we really have no clue how big or where or what is going on in space.

That whole wormhole idea makes my head hurt let me tell ya!

Dave
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 05:42
    Since the universe is expanding, there must be a point at which one could call the Edge of the Universe, right?
    No, wrong. Not within science.
    Universe is everything. It has no boundary to anything else.
  8. Standard membereagleeye222001
    Eye rival to Saurons
    Land of 64 Squares
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 06:14
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No, wrong. Not within science.
    Universe [b]is
    everything. It has no boundary to anything else.[/b]
    But its expanding😕.............
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 06:15
    Originally posted by eagleeye222001
    But its expanding😕.............
    Yes, the universe is expanding, but not into something.
  10. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 06:33
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Yes, the universe is expanding, but not into something.
    Define "something"

Dave
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 09:54
    Since the universe is expanding, there must be a point at which one could call the Edge of the Universe, right? Granted, that boundry would change every moment (since it's always expanding at a fantastic rate), but still, at a given point in time, one should be able to say "Right here IS the edge of the universe." My question is what is on the other side ...[text shortened]... answer I've heard is some sort of parallel opposite universe. Anyone have a conjecture?
    It depends on your definition of Universe. If by Universe you mean observable Universe that it has an edge. But if you mean all that exists it doesn't have an edge by its own definition.
  12. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 10:10
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    It depends on your definition of Universe. If by Universe you mean observable Universe that it has an edge. But if you mean all that exists it doesn't have an edge by its own definition.
    There are other possibilities though.

Consider space being the surface of a balloon. The balloon is expanding. But if you're sitting on the surface only aware of two dimensions, where is the edge?

Now extend to three dimensions (so expanding in a fourth),

I'm not saying that's an accurate description, I don't know enough about cosmology, but it's a possible geometry.
  13. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 10:16
    Originally posted by mtthw
    There are other possibilities though.

Consider space being the surface of a balloon. The balloon is expanding. But if you're sitting on the surface only aware of two dimensions, where is the edge?

Now extend to three dimensions (so expanding in a fourth),

I'm not saying that's an accurate description, I don't know enough about cosmology, but it's a possible geometry.
    Yes. On your case the balloon geometry is embebbed on a 3-d space but on the case of the Universe it isn't imbebbed in anything else. It is all that is. Kinda like being in the balloon and not being aware of an extra dimension (cause there isn't any in this case).
  14. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 10:241 edit
    Since the universe is expanding, there must be a point at which one could call the Edge of the Universe, right? Granted, that boundry would change every moment (since it's always expanding at a fantastic rate), but still, at a given point in time, one should be able to say "Right here IS the edge of the universe." My question is what is on the other side answer I've heard is some sort of parallel opposite universe. Anyone have a conjecture?
    The anwser to your post is extremly simple.

Humans are interpreteting the world around us the best they can but when something is beyond their understanding they try to simplife it to be able to understand it. Just because we can't understand something for our tiny human perspective, it doesn't mean that it is complicated or abstract. I mean, what is 500 grams of grey mass compared to seemingly endless universe. Human mind automatically rejects what it can not understand, so if there is NOTHING beyond limits of universe, human mind can not imagine NOTHING existing. We think : Well, isn't nothing something ???! That is just your brain limit.

However, here is analogy that I'have read in one of my astronomy books :

Earth is endless, isn't it, I mean it has concrete, limited mass and size easily measured. However, from our perspective (ESPECIALLY before technological advancement in XX. century), WHERE ON HECK THE EARTH ENDS ? Earth is endless and still it is not big at all. You can walk until the end of your life, and you still won't find an edge.

Add another, third dimension, and you use this analogy to universal proportions.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 10:25
    Originally posted by nmdavidb
    Define "something"

Dave
    Let's not go off topic.
    It's only a linguistic term.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree