1. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 16:14
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Or maybe it was hyperbole. On "The most important question ever" list, I would put it in the tp 5, but not number 1. ๐Ÿ™‚
    But if Hawkings hypothesis was correct and it was not only unknowable but also had no real impact on the current state of the universe, then wouldn't it simply be little more than a curiosity?
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 15:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But if Hawkings hypothesis was correct and it was not only unknowable but also had no real impact on the current state of the universe, then wouldn't it simply be little more than a curiosity?
    That might be true, IF one accepted Hawking's hypothesis.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 16:40
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    That might be true, IF one accepted Hawking's hypothesis.
    Of course. And I am sure his comment was similarly conditional to the hypothesis.
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 04:57
    Of course. And I am sure his comment was similarly conditional to the hypothesis.
    Likely.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 16:142 edits
    And you are welcome to that belief.
    However, I think Hawking was saying that since the current makup of the universe is a result of the events during the big bang and not what came before, it doesn't really matter whether God was behind it. It wouldn't make any difference.

If he had an effect, it would be either in the formulation of the laws of physi nce would it make if the universes existence was just as much a brute fact as Gods existence?
    My personal theory and I entrain anyone to disprove it:
    Our universe came about in a 'high school' class science experiment, where the kids had 5th dimensional straws where they blew energy into which upset a local condition that they were monitoring attosecond by attosecond for their high school graduation project.

They had to get it right, generating a viable universe, or else they would have been stuck behind a year, doing it all over again the next semester. We can't know if the instructors actually gave them a passing grade for another (what to us) is another 50 billion years or so. Of course to them, only a few weeks pass by while the kids monitor the experiment.

They are taught to have a strictly hands off approach to the project else they interfere with the end product of the experiment, that is, do any life forms generated in that daughter universe evolve enough to see the classroom and discern the students at work?

BTW, here is a link to an alternate physics of the BB, where there is no singularity. Very preliminary for sure, but here it is:

http://www.physorg.com/news198135631.html
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 07:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    My personal theory....
    You mean 'hypothesis'.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '10 12:52
    [b]Some good quotes from the article:
    Contrary to the common perception, BBT is not a theory about the origin of the universe. Rather, it describes the development of the universe over time.
    This, of course, assumes that the material universe always existed. If, however, the material universe was created, time began upon the conception of the material universe and ONLY then.

Of course, for those of you who are forced to adopt the "material universe always existed" stance, due to the believe that there is no God, I have only one question. If time measure from point A to point B, which it does, why is there no point A?
  8. Germany
    Moves
    16 Jul '10 13:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    This, of course, assumes that the material universe always existed. If, however, the material universe was created, time began upon the conception of the material universe and ONLY then.

Of course, for those of you who are forced to adopt the "material universe always existed" stance, due to the believe that there is no God, I have only one question. If time measure from point A to point B, which it does, why is there no point A?
    What do you mean when you say "time measures from point A to point B"?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '10 13:28
    This, of course, assumes that the material universe always existed.
    If by that you mean that it assumes that time is infinite, then no, it doesn't.
    In fact, I cant see how anything you quoted involves assumptions of any kind.

I don't understand what you claim we are forced to adopt, nor why you claim it, nor do I understand your final question.
    Could you expand on each of those items?
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    18 Jul '10 05:27

Actually, for me, it works the other way around: since I think the notion of the universe coming into existence ex nihilo by the action of some (any) exogenous agent is implausible, it is immaterial to me whether or not such putative exogenous agent is a “creator god” or not.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jul '10 12:50
    You mean 'hypothesis'.
    Or supposition, take your pick๐Ÿ™‚
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jul '10 12:54

By that I assume 'time measured from point A to point B' is going from the past into the future.

What seems a good hypothesis right now is our universe was spawned from a previous universe just as our universe spawns daughter universes. What that says is the Point A bit is just the starting of a local clock, our universe. That implies there are many other Point A's in other universes, both parent and daughter. Presumably ad infinitum.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Jul '10 14:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    By that I assume 'time measured from point A to point B' is going from the past into the future.

What seems a good hypothesis right now is our universe was spawned from a previous universe just as our universe spawns daughter universes. What that says is the Point A bit is just the starting of a local clock, our universe. That implies there are many other Point A's in other universes, both parent and daughter. Presumably ad infinitum.
    The only thing this seems to show is that the current beliefs/hypothesis just
    don't cover all the points we see nicely.
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '10 15:03
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    You persist thinking that this is a religious matter. No, it isn't.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 10:56
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    That includes ALL belief's, including religious ones from ANYONE on the planet. No human knows ANYTHING about the beginning of the universe, created or not. Anyone who does think they KNOW how things started are simply deluded.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree