Big Bang

Big Bang

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
22 Sep 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
How do you measure the planet's happiness?
Biodiversity would be a good place to start.

AH

Moves
22 Sep 10

I don't think most opponents of the Big Bang theory are interested in rational arguments, since their objections are usually based on emotional arguments.
They don’t just base it on “emotional” arguments; they base it on religious arguments.
You generally have to have some pretty strong religious reasons to object to the well-established scientific facts.

K

Germany

Moves
22 Sep 10

Originally posted by Green Paladin
By what mechanism does biodiversity make the planet "happy"?

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
22 Sep 10

By what mechanism does biodiversity make the planet "happy"?
I see your point. I meant "healthy". So, I think, did sonhouse.

p

Moves
22 Sep 10

thanks for the links guys,

Just wanted to include the WMAP site as well:

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/

regards, Paul

K

Germany

Moves
23 Sep 10

I see your point. I meant "healthy". So, I think, did sonhouse.
By what mechanism does biodiversity make the planet "healthy"? What does that word even mean in the context of planets?

Cape Town

Moves
23 Sep 10

Biodiversity probably increases the likelihood that life will survive any future catastrophic disasters. But why should we care?

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
23 Sep 10

By what mechanism does biodiversity make the planet "healthy"? What does that word even mean in the context of planets?
It's metaphorical.

Like one's health may be described as the ability to resist and recover from disease or injury so the planet's "health" is its species' ability to recover from environmental catastrophe, disease, predation, etc.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
23 Sep 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
Biodiversity probably increases the likelihood that life will survive any future catastrophic disasters. But why should we care?
We are alive and we are supported by life so to destabilise the planet by destroying habitats and thus causing species to become extinct is short-sighted: potential medicines, food crops and biological controls could be lost forever. Countless industries, recreation activities, aesthetic appreciation and tourism would be affected. There are also future generations to consider.

These are just some reasons that those adopting an instrumental view of the environment might support. Others, such as myself, hold that nature and species are intrinsically valuable and take that as a starting point.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Sep 10

We are alive and we are supported by life so to destabilise the planet by destroying habitats and thus causing species to become extinct is short-sighted: potential medicines, food crops and biological controls could be lost forever. Countless industries, recreation activities, aesthetic appreciation and tourism would be affected. There are also future ...[text shortened]... self, hold that nature and species are intrinsically valuable and take that as a starting point.
But all of those reasons cannot be use when you take the origional statement by sonhouse:
The planet would be much happier without humans on it anyway.

I am all for environmentalism except were it is taken to the extremes ie at the expense of humans.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
24 Sep 10
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
But all of those reasons cannot be use when you take the origional statement by sonhouse:
[b]The planet would be much happier without humans on it anyway.

I am all for environmentalism except were it is taken to the extremes ie at the expense of humans.[/b]
Why is that extreme? How do you measure the "expense" to humans? Surely there's a very real expense being paid by the hundreds of species (some estimates put this figure in the tens of thousands) that are snuffed out per year through human-caused habitat destruction, pollution and the introduction of invader species.

I follow Peter Singer in believing that species membership is an arbitrary yardstick of moral worth. Distinction based on this criterion (speciesism) being akin to racism and sexism. It's time to overhaul our anthropocentric ethical framework and include sentient animals.

"The day may come when the rest of the animal creation may acquire those rights which never could have been witholden from them but by the hand of tyranny. The French have already discovered that the blackness of the skin is no reason a human being should be abandoned without redress to the caprice of a tormentor. It may one day come to be recognised that the number of the legs, the villosity of the skin, or the termination of the os sacrum, are reasons equally insufficient for abandoning a sensitive being to the same fate. What else is it that should trace the insuperable line? Is it the faculty of reason, or perhaps the faculty of discourse? But a full-grown horse or dog, is beyond comparison a more rational, as well as a more conversable animal, than an infant of a day, or a week, or even a month old. But suppose they were otherwise, what would it avail? The question is not, Can they reason? nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"

Jeremy Bentham

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 10

Why is that extreme? How do you measure the "expense" to humans? Surely there's a very real expense being paid by the hundreds of species (some estimates put this figure in the tens of thousands) that are snuffed out per year through human-caused habitat destruction, pollution and the introduction of invader species.

I follow Peter Singer in believ ...[text shortened]... y reason? nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"

Jeremy Bentham
Well some of them taste very good.
Kelly

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
29 Sep 10

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
So animals should pay with their lives on the predilection of your gut?

As a fundamentalist Christian I would have expected you to yearn for the age before the Fall when humans lived in god's grace, subsisting entirely on a vegetarian diet. Or would you, like most Christians, rather sit around watching the planet hurtle towards oblivion while you wait for the Rapture?

AH

Moves
29 Sep 10
2 edits

So animals should pay with their lives on the predilection of your gut?

As a fundamentalist Christian I would have expected you to yearn for the age before the Fall when humans lived in god's grace, subsisting entirely on a vegetarian diet. Or would you, like most Christians, rather sit around watching the planet hurtle towards oblivion while you wait for the Rapture?
“...So animals should pay with their lives on the predilection of your gut? ...”

I myself am a vegetarian but I still think this is a rather harsh comment.
There are several very good reasons to be vegetarian but the main one for me it that it leaves a much lower carbon footprint. If we all become at least almost vegetarian ( but allowing a few exceptions where the meat can come from low-carbon emission / low environmental impact sources such as sustainable hunting of wild animals etc ) then we would be putting less unreasonable pressure on our limited resources. But I don't think this is at all a 'moral' issue but rather merely an issue of sustainable and sensible management of resources just as I don't think shooting your own foot is 'immoral' but rather merely foolish.

F

Moves
29 Sep 10

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
And here KellyJay is completely right.

If they taste good, then they're meant to be eaten.
Religiously speaking - if god didn't want us to eat animals, then he wouldn't make them taste so good.