1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 11:571 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    It is my understanding that you should be able to see them in the northern hemisphere as well. (doesn't joe live in the northern henisphere?)
    Anyway there is definately a bit of luck involved , but when you see one , there can be no mistaking it.
    Most of the low altitude satellites are in (near) equatorial orbits, so they are not seen where I live, at 57 degrees north. But there are still many of them to be seen.

Every hour of my observing time I see at least one satellite, often more. They are easily seen with naked eye. With telescope they are hard to spot and follow.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 12:37
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Most of the low altitude satellites are in (near) equatorial orbits, so they are not seen where I live, at 57 degrees north. But there are still many of them to bee seen.

Every hour of my observing time I see at least one satellite, often more. They are easily seen with naked eye. With telescope they are hard to spot and follow.
    I dont understand. You say they are not seen where you live but then you say every hour of your observing time you see at least one sattelite.Huh?
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 12:40
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I dont understand. You say they are not seen where you live but then you say every hour of your observing time you see at least one sattelite.Huh?
    I say that the low altitude equatorial orbit satellites cannot be seen at 57 degrees north. But there are other orbits than low atitude orbits, and equatorial orbits. Some of them we can easily see. No paradox here.
  4. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 23:18
    Originally posted by Jigtie
    I spend a lot of the year outside the city, so on a clear night I can see the sky filled with stars (quite
    beautiful), especially in the winter time. But I don't think I've ever seen anything but the moon and
    the stars with the naked eye.

Well, they tell me that this really bright looking star we have now is actually the international space
    station, ...[text shortened]... Is that because
    I live in the northern hemisphere? Don't low orbit satellites pass here?
    They just look like a bright star moving. I live in Wyoming, but I would think as long as you get away from the city a little you should be able to see them. I see them with the naked eye.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree