Limits of Science

Limits of Science

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
21 Oct 17

Originally posted by @moonbus
That that is a truth is your contention, not mine. This is the Science Forum; if you expect to be taken seriously, then present evidence for your contention and we will consider it.
That is also truth according to wildgrass. Your rejection of this yruth is the faulty assumpution upon which your worldview is based.

It is the same basic faulty assumption that has plagued Europe with religious wars over the centuries.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
21 Oct 17

That that is a truth is your contention, not mine. This is the Science Forum; if you expect to be taken seriously, then present evidence for your contention and we will consider it.
This is the Science Forum; if you expect to be taken seriously, then present evidence for your contention and we will consider it.
Wait.
You mean you're on the panel?
What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Über-Nerd

Moves
21 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @eladar
That is also truth according to wildgrass. Your rejection of this yruth is the faulty assumpution upon which your worldview is based.

It is the same basic faulty assumption that has plagued Europe with religious wars over the centuries.
The faulty assumption which plagued Europe with religious wars for centuries was the presumption that there is and only one true faith, yoked to state religions with the power and the will to punish thought crime. We are well rid of that.

Über-Nerd

Moves
21 Oct 17

Originally posted by @freakykbh
[b]This is the Science Forum; if you expect to be taken seriously, then present evidence for your contention and we will consider it.
Wait.
You mean you're on the panel?
What's the frequency, Kenneth?[/b]
The forum is open to anyone who wishes to participate in the spirit of unfettered inquiry.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
21 Oct 17

The forum is open to anyone who wishes to participate in the spirit of unfettered inquiry.
Uh, yeah.
Right.

E

Moves
22 Oct 17
2 edits

The faulty assumption which plagued Europe with religious wars for centuries was the presumption that there is and only one true faith, yoked to state religions with the power and the will to punish thought crime. We are well rid of that.
You are well done with that? Take a long look in the mirror and see how you react to the absolute truth of your scientific belief and the fact that your government taught it to you.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Oct 17

You are well done with that? Take a long look in the mirror and see how you react to the absolute truth of your scientific belief and the fact that your government taught it to you.
Science does not do absolutes. Science applies statistical bounderies. For instance the discovery of the Higgs Boson was not an absolute, it was in a bound of 5 sigma I think which is like one part in 3.5 million. Here is a discussion of just that by Scientific American:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/five-sigmawhats-that/

Über-Nerd

Moves
22 Oct 17
1 edit

You continue to attribute your own assumptions to me and others which do not apply. Claims of absolute truth, for example. Science makes no such claims.

It seems to bother you that public schools are regulated by the state. That is a political issue for the Debates Forum.

It would do you a world of good to go back to college get a graduate degree in history. I suggest you start with the Inquisition and work forwards to the French and American revolutions. Find out about witch burning, pogroms against Jews and Moors, the extermination of three entire civilizations in the Americas--that is what people do who believe they have absolute truth. Two things put a stop to that murderous fury: the Enlightenment (which is to say, the wide dissemination of scientific knowledge about how nature works), and the separation of church and state.

Wherever religion gets control over the state and education becomes the puppet of religious ideologues who think they have absolute truth, as in IS right now, the murderous fury starts up again.

Über-Nerd

Moves
22 Oct 17

I have a bachelor's degree and had a teaching credential in California too.

My SAT math score was a 720. Testing in elementary school regularly put my math score in the top 95th to 99th percentile.

I have kids consistantly score 4 and 5 on their AP calculus tests, which is no small feat in medium sized schools in Oklahoma.

So no, I am not stupid, but to weak minded people whose beliefs are in opposition to mine, I must appear stupid.
So, California certified you qualified to teach math. I'm curious. Where did you take your bachelor's degree? Southwest Baptist University?

h

Moves
22 Oct 17
1 edit

... Southwest Baptist University?
I tried looking that up but still left wondering what they teach there and if they teach against known scientific facts such as evolution and big bang etc but got no answers from my internet search. I guess probably not and I really hope not else I'm totally appalled.

h

Moves
22 Oct 17
11 edits

... and the fact that your government taught it to you.
It isn't the government that teaches us science and you are delusional for thinking they do. Exactly how do you think that would work? The typical politician knows very little or nothing about science and many (if not most) are religious and/or deny various scientific facts, such as evolution, global warming, etc. Trump is an example of that. If governments taught science, I guess either the resulting so called 'science' would be something pretty laughable or we simply wouldn't have any!

+ we clearly don't make any of the 'assumptions' you say we make and keep repeating the same falsehood over and over again convinces nobody here and just makes you look like a complete moron.

Über-Nerd

Moves
22 Oct 17

Originally posted by @humy
I tried looking that up but still left wondering what they teach there and if they teach against known scientific facts such as evolution and big bang etc but got no answers from my internet search. I guess probably not and I really hope not else I'm totally appalled.
https://www.sbuniv.edu/academics/programs/physics.php

E

Moves
22 Oct 17

So, California certified you qualified to teach math. I'm curious. Where did you take your bachelor's degree? Southwest Baptist University?
I've already stated Abilene Christian.

Don't worry, people like you have been wanting to put a noose around necks of people like me. That day is coming soon enough.

Today it is just trying to create a social outcast, tomorrow you will see the outcome you truly desire.

Do you claim that I am incompetent to teeach upper level high school math classes?

Come now hypocrite let's see what you've got.

E

Moves
22 Oct 17

Originally posted by @humy
It isn't the government that teaches us science and you are delusional for thinking they do. Exactly how do you think that would work? The typical politician knows very little or nothing about science and many (if not most) are religious and/or deny various scientific facts, such as evolution, global warming, etc. Trump is an example of that. If governments ta ...[text shortened]... lsehood over and over again convinces nobody here and just makes you look like a complete moron.
You did not attend a public school?

E

Moves
22 Oct 17

You continue to attribute your own assumptions to me and others which do not apply. Claims of absolute truth, for example. Science makes no such claims.

It seems to bother you that public schools are regulated by the state. That is a political issue for the Debates Forum.

It would do you a world of good to go back to college get a graduate degree in h ...[text shortened]... gues who think they have absolute truth, as in IS right now, the murderous fury starts up again.
If science does not claim absolute truth, then how can it deny God and the Creation account.

You talk out of both ends. You are dishonest and a degenerate. Either that or your IQ barely breaks 100.