1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 21:55
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I went to a Lutheran school K-8 grade, and I can guaruntee you they didn't teach evolution, but due to some other circumstances, by the time I was 8, I realized they were ALL full of shyte because I knew they could not ALL be right but they sure as hell could ALL be wrong.

So I got liberated from the yolk of religion quite early. My 8th grade teacher was especially anti-science and we (the kids in class) all knew it. He got no converts.
    No problem. I understand that you have issues with Christianity and parents sending you to a Christian school didn't make a difference. You were lost well before then.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '17 21:56
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    Hmmm, how about "belief that evolution really happened does not rule out belief in God (for example, that evolution is guided by God)," and "evolution does not rule out the existence of God (whether or not God had anything to do with evolution)."

Of course, it is still an open question whether "God" is to mean the God of Abraham or the God of the philosophers or some other.
    But you do attempt to rule out my beliefs, which of course is a form of a religious war.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Oct '17 13:481 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    But you do attempt to rule out my beliefs, which of course is a form of a religious war.
    I do not attempt to rule them out. I point out that they are not based on sound reasoning and empirical evidence in accord with natural laws.

You are entitled to keep your beliefs. Far be it from me to divest you of them. But when you bandy your beliefs about at the Science Forum without providing sound reasons and evidence for them, when they openly flout laws of nature, expect a vigorous response.

Now, if you want to say that what you believe is a matter of faith, not reason or evidence, that's no skin off my nose. But it doesn't belong here at the Science Forum. Take it to the other one.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Oct '17 14:04
    Originally posted by @eladar
    No problem. I understand that you have issues with Christianity and parents sending you to a Christian school didn't make a difference. You were lost well before then.
    You are welcome to your opinion but I am doing fine without the shackles of religion. YOU are the one shackled.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree